“Fantastic offerings”

Crush Wine Bistro And Cellar
Ranked #14 of 896 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Crush owners Robert de Lucia, Scott Anaya & Chad Culley created Crush in order to share their love of wine, food and conversation with Anchorage. Their vision was to give Anchorage a place where people can experiment with a variety of wines, drop by for a casual meal or sit down to a $1000 vintage bottle. In 2010 they expanded the vision by introducing their retail wine shop, Cellar, the bottle shop at Crush. The store occupies the loft directly above Crush and features over 400 wines as well as beer, spirits, cheese & wine related gifts. The shop is also home to Cellar Wine Club. Sharing wine is about the conversation; the richness of each glass reminds us of travel, meals and family. Wine should not have any mystique. It should be accessible to everyone so that we all can enjoy it. Rob, Scott & Chad invite you to come down to Crush and spark a conversation with them about the wines that fuel their passion and keep the sparkle in their eyes.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stopped in for a quick glass and a snack and it was perfect. Excellent by-the-glass list at very reasonable prices, the prosciutto wrapped dates were incredible, and Eli and Kevin took great care of us. Do not miss this place!

Reviewed July 23, 2014

In the light of our recent visits to the USA, where I've been impressed by the quality of domestic wines, I had been very disappointed with what we'd been offered during our two weeks in Alaska. At best it had been drinkable: at worst the kind of cheap plonk most of us gave up drinking in the 1970s. When I looked at the web site for Crush, however, I immediately thought it would offer something closer to what you might expect in most London restaurants now.

I'd been concerned that we might have a wait (Crush doesn't take reservations) but at 6 pm on a sunny day we had no difficulty in getting a table straight away. We chose to eat inside: whilst attention had been paid to making outdoor diners comfortable, there was no getting away from their proximity to a busy street with plenty of passing traffic. There are seats at the large bar and banquette tables round the perimeter of the room. Table tops are made of polished slats from wooden wine cases while decor is of the 'suspended wine bottles with lights in them' variety, both of which took me back to the wine bars of my younger days.

A menu where you can't easily make up your mind what to eat or drink is invariably a good sign. On this occasion we started with a more-ish truffled white bean pate and an excellent mac 'n' cheese with a lightly curried béchamel. There is a good list of craft beers and a mix of American and European wines by the glass, including 7 well-constructed 'flights': Pinot Envy, Merlots that Don't Suck, Summer of Riesling, etc. After a brief discussion with Eli who gave us great service throughout the meal, I opted for a Pink flight of wines, where the highlight was a really full-bodied Oregon Grenache; my wife's flight of Suave Sauvs comprised 2 Sancerres and another Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire, all very easy on the palate. For mains, I took the seared Alaskan salmon special served with kale and feta on a bed of pasta in a artichoke and cream sauce while my wife chose scallops from Kodiak Island served on couscous and partnered with anchovies, greens and a (cold) caponata. A Californian Pinot Noir was an excellent complement to the fish.

The cheese course was the weakest part of the meal. None of the 5 artisan cheeses was unenjoyable but with the exception of a washed-rind cows' milk cheese from California they tended towards the bland - no blue or mature hard cheese, for instance - which may reflect an American palate still addicted to Monterey Jack. At $25 for quite small pieces the plate cost a lot more than I would expect to pay in equivalent UK restaurants. The meal finished on a strong note, however, with a rich flourless chocolate cake for me and a huge carrot pistachio cake for my wife.

We had eaten so well that we opted to return next day for a quick lunch before heading for the airport. A shared 'ploughman's platter' had little in common with the English pub version and was really just a mixed plate of cheese and charcuterie with a few green leaves, grapes and blueberries thrown in. The meats, like the cheese, were tame in taste but included a good finocchiona. A bowl of beer, bacon and cheddar cheese soup was rich and tasty and was followed by another serving of the mac 'n' cheese. With a glass of wine apiece our bill came to a very reasonable price of $57 before tip.

There are one or two more dubious aspects to Crush. The charcoal drawings on the wall for sale depicting improbably attractive couples engaged in improbably athletic sex are like illustrations from the 70s bedroom manual The Joy of Sex while a bar of this size with a single, shared restroom is likely to exult in a few crossed legs towards the end of the evening. These are minor quibbles, however, when set against a restaurant serving imaginative food and good wine with excellent, good-humoured service. We will certainly eat here again on any subsequent visit to Anchorage.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I wanted a light meal and a glass of wine. We had both after finding Crush in downtown Anchorage. Highly recommend.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Yummy food, friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable and clean restaurant, reasonable prices located in central downtown.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had a very good meal at Crush. The food was savory and had a surprising sophistication. The server was a bit inattentive but that didn't ruin the experience. I would definitely eat here again.