“Tolerable/Terrible”

Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites
Ranked #50 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I essentially lived at the Inlet Tower Hotel for an entire month while working in Anchorage. It was the height of tourist season and everyone was price gouging. My company paid up to $190 per night for a hotel room which in the "Lower 48" would get you a pretty decent room (even in the middle of NYC). This hotel was a low end, dirty, poorly run establishment with hallways that looked like the place someone would go to blow their head off in a horror film, DREARY! The building is old and has its nostalgic charm since it was originally built as an apartment building way back when. However for the amt of money they charge its obscene!!! Not to mention the slowest elevators ever created (I'm used to pre-war buildings and old elevators).
The staff is TERRIBLE! Couldnt care less about complaints. One evening the internet went down while I was doing work. I called the front desk and inquired about if the internet was in fact down and when it would be up and running? The front desk guy in a stoned, laid back voice replied "Yep...(pause)" I said well do you know anything about it getting fixed? Desk Guy: (sighs) Well...they said I gotta call IT but (exhales) I dont really feel like calling IT so...yeah!" and he hung up! CAN YOU IMAGINE? I had to laugh at how incredibly ridiculous this was or else I would cry. Another time I was laying in bed taking a nap when the maid just UNLOCKS the door without knocking and walked in, made eye contact with me and started folding fresh towels in the bathroom! Taking her sweet time "WTF." Filthy carpeting, old unrenovated rooms and old TVs. I asked the front desk for a bottle opener and they couldnt find one! There was a restaurant at the hotel! No one had keys to unlock and find a freakin bottle opener!
The place sucked but at the end of the day its one of the better places to stay in Anchorage besides the Sheraton or Hyatt which are INSANE for extended stays. Alaska while amazing has some of the worst hotels and customer service I have ever seen. IT really is the last frontier. A place where the rules of normal society dont apply. Twilight zone with beautiful scenery. The place sucks yes but I know worst exists so in some ways this is as good as it gets! Its roughing it for sure.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank NYCmeetsAK
emichinski, Manager at Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2010

I appreciate that you took the time to write all this about your stay. I would certainly acknowledge that we had a very rude, surly employee working at the front desk during the time of your visit, and that that employee has been subsequently dismissed. You are absolutely correct and I agree that you should feel bad about his comments.

As a matter of reference, whenever you have an issue with a hotel, feel free to ask for the manager. I would have been glad to have met with you over a cup of coffee in the restaurant to reconcile any differences, and to ensure that you were most pleased about your stay. There is little I can do now for you, but I certainly may have been able to address these issues at that time.

I do take issue that the building is not clean. Yes, this is an old building. It is one of the oldes and, I think, coolest in Anchorage, having been built as an apartment building and converted after the 9.2 earthquake into a hotel. The building is neat, and our furniture is all replicated period furniture from that time frame, so it's all relatively new stuff. The hotel is clean. It's also a 60 year old building, with quirks that you might not find anywhere else. Like slow elevators, metal kitchen cabinets, and ghosts. (yes, ghosts). We are also state of the art though, with wifi, business center, comfortable beds, and almost every other amenity that you would find in any hotel elsewhere.

Thank you for your comments. We are not for everyone, just like Alaska isn't for everyone. But, those looking for a very unique, comfortable, and different, feel, this is a great place. I will leave it with your comments that our hotel is one of the better places to stay in Anchorage.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

I would say, this would compair to a Motel 6....and they rent for 1/3 of the price....
There was hair on the bath room floor, in the tub...baseboards in the Bathrm were very dirty..toilet lid on the underside, didn't look like it had been cleaned in a good long while..
I was not impressed with this hotel at all...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Duchess04
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My first impression of this hotel was admittedly hurt by Hotels.com, through which I'd purchased a room at the Inlet Tower a month earlier. When I showed up at the front desk, they had no record of my reservation. Fortunately they still had a few rooms available, though the clerk said they regularly have to WALK guests to other hotels because Hotels.com failed to forward their reservations.

Anyway.

The hotel is a converted apartment building with two exceedingly slow elevators servicing 17 floors (a nonstop ride takes nearly three minutes). I think I had an upgraded corner room, which included a small dining area, fridge, sink, microwave and coffee maker. The TV was old, but the reception was good. The room had two enormous radiators, but only a tiny window air conditioner that couldn't hope to keep up with the summer sun beating through the six windows, none of which opened very far. There is some oddly retro wallpaper, circa 1976, and the cabinets in the dining area are made of sheet metal.

The bed was clean and comfortable; there was a long, black hair plastered across the sink when I arrived. Otherwise, the room was kept clean throughout my stay.

The best perk of this hotel is that it is located directly across the street from New Sagaya City Market, an Anchorage-based version of Whole Foods. The prices are high, but it's a good place to pick up provisions. This is important, as it is a 20-minute walk to reach downtown. The restaurant was recommended by others in Anchorage, but I didn't try it.

While the hotel staff were nice, the service has the potential to be catastrophic. For example, I requested a 6 a.m. wake up call the night before I left. It never happened. During the same call, I requested they add my name to the list of guests departing on the shuttle to the airport in the morning. I was assured I was on the list, but in the morning my name was no where to be found.

When I did board the shuttle to the airport, a group of six cruise ship passengers got on and asked to be taken downtown. The driver cheerfully obliged, in the process driving me 26 blocks in the wrong direction before finally taking me to the airport ... turning what should have been a 10-15 minute trip into something more like 40 minutes, despite driving way over the speed limit and weaving in and out of traffic.

Given the prices for hotels in Anchorage during the summer, this was still a good deal. Just don't expect anything more than a clean bed for $150 a night (and you'd better have a car and a good alarm clock). The free WiFi and parking are nice, though the internet connection was flaky.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ak_jorge
Reviewed September 12, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites this past week. The "Priceline Negotiator" found this place for us. Even with the Priceline discount, we still feel like we overpaid.

Pros: Easy to find, Quiet

Cons: I'm sure this place was top notch back in the 70's, but its time to update! Even the bed linens seem to date back to the 70's! The room seemed a bit dirty, but that might have just been due to the age.

1  Thank rskottie
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We arrived and found a dirty room with three bath towels, no hand towels or washclothes and hair in bathtub/shower. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I had 'prepaid' with pricline.com and ' thus the front desk was powerless' to offer any reconcilliation. The catagory was'3 star' and this hotel is definitly not. The one good point to mention is the shuttle service. The drivers were prompt and knowledgable.

3  Thank cariboux
Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stayed here on our last day in Anchorage. I've never written a review on this site but felt compelled to this time after our experience. We booked the room last minute through hotels.com because of the cheap rate. Upon arrival that morning there was a power outage. Now that is not their fault, but the way it was being handled was terrible. The building engineer and front desk were having shouting matches right in front of us. There were people stuck in the elevators for over a half an hour. No one even called the fire dept. to get the people out. No attempt of a rescue was even addressed. I work as a firefighter and that is unacceptable. Who knows who is stuck in there? We ended up leaving because we couldn't check in. That night after our return we checked out early to catch our flight. The woman working the front desk was totally rude. She said we ordered breakfast and when I explained to her that we did not, she told me she removed the charge. Sure enough 28.90 is on my credit card today. She then told us that the shuttle was no longer running to the airport even though we called 2 hours earlier and were told it ran every 30 minutes all night. She was just too lazy and didn't care enough to call the shuttle for us. i would recommend to spend an extra 20-50 dollars and stay anywhere else. We stayed at the westmark anchorage which was much better and the
Alyeska Hotel which was amazing. Dont get sucked in by the cheap price.

2  Thank j-rod39
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I think they boasted king size beds and inlet views... I didnt see either! I did have a large room, with a full size bed, a kitchenette, and a view of the city/mountains. The rooms were old and in need of a makeover. The hotel did have a shuttle to and from the airport and town.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo