Historic Anchorage Hotel
Lakeshore Inn & Suites(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
$89
Anchorage Grand Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
$95
$85
Comfort Inn Ship Creek(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
$63
$191
$179
EmbassySuites.com
Dimond Center Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
$149
$80
$59
QualityInn
$53
The Hotel Captain Cook(Anchorage)
$165
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
All reviewsgreat locationmake your own waffleshard boiled eggsstreet noisewithin walking distancecontinental breakfasttrain stationsmall hotelyogurtchain hotelsglacier brewhousedowntown areaquiet roomwould definitely stay here againcorner roomcentral locationjunior suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We arrived at the Historic Anchorage Hotel around 11:30AM on a Sunday. The desk clerk, a young man, appeared to be put off by our arrival, he had to get off his stool in the corner. He was efficient once he got going and our room was ready. The hotel has one cart for luggage, luckily it was available. When I grabbed the cart I got shocked. We got our stuff on the cart and headed to the elevator, I pushed the call button and got shocked.

We were given room 304, a very nice room, large and clean. Did I mention that when we stood in the elevator and touched the railing with our butts we got shocked? The only problem I had with the room was the view of the AC units. OH..when I put the key, a real key, into the door I got shocked. We got our stuff off the cart and had to leave to return our car to the rental place at the airport. Yes, as we left we got shocked again.

The hotel is very nice, historic pictures in the hallway and a plaque on the outside main entrance. Take the time to read about the buildings history. When we returned we had to go back up to our room, yes we got shocked. We finally asked about the static electricty and of course it was the carpets, maybe some anti-static spray once in a while.

There are 2 reasons I did not give this hotel a 4 star rating, no restaurant or bar, of course there are many to choose from in the downtown area, and they did not clean our room the next day, we were staying for 2 nights. They have a very nice bar area in the hotel, it is were they serve their continential breakfast. This could be made into a very nice bar area for a few hours a night. We got up the next morning but did not leave the room until just after noon. When we returned later in the evening we found our room had not been serviced. We had used all of our towels so we had to call down and have some more brought up. Normally if a hotel does not service their rooms every day they let you know, we were not told by the staff that this was their procedure.

When we checked out the front desk staff was very helpful, yes we did get shocked again, several times. If you are looking for a nice place to stay you can not go wrong with this hotel. Parking by the way is offsite and costs $10 per day, self park.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Pamela-and-Greg
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I went to Anchorage as a solo woman traveler. I had never been to Alaska before and had just about 30 hours to experience just the tiniest bit of this magnificent state. I enjoy historic properties for their character. The Historic Anchorage Hotel is very small at 26 rooms, which gives it an intimate feel. What set apart for me was the front desk staff. When my cab arrived at midnight, Matt (or was it Ryan? I was so tired when I arrived!) stepped outside to welcome me. This was a great first impression. Over the course of my two-night stay, I was able to chat with all of the front desk staff on duty -- Matt, Ryan, and Jennifer. They were all helpful in different ways, providing walking directions, recommending restaurants, suggesting a tour operator, calling me a cab back to the airport, etc. They were always warm and friendly and listened respectfully as I recounted my various adventures of the day. They have make-your-own waffles in the morning which is fun and other continental breakfast items like bagels and juice and cold cereal and oatmeal, all served in the charming bar area. I had a fantastic time and hope to return soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jennifer D
HistoricAnchorage, General Manager at Historic Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Jennifer D,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write about our amazing staff! We take pride in welcoming everyone to our small intimate hotel! It gives us great pleasure to hear Ryan, Matt and Jennifer helped make your fist trip to our magnificent state fantastic! We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have walked by this hotel over the years and vowed I would stay here one day. The bay window with winged chairs with the chess game and the historic setting were big draws. Love this historical hotel with it's ghosts, charming rooms, cleanliness, and the spiritual presence of Sidney Lawrence, Alaskan artist.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sara I
HistoricAnchorage, General Manager at Historic Anchorage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Sara I,
Thank you for staying with us! We are pleased you found the Hotel charming, clean and found the spiritual presence of Sydney Laurence. ( He had an apartment on the third floor) Hope to hear you had the time to sit in one of the winged chairs and play a game of chess. We look forward to your return visit. Thank you again!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Really large comfortable rooms, more like a small apartment! Very nicely furnished and the bottle of sparkling apple cider was a nice touch. The hotel has such a rich history and with all the pictures, memorabilia and books too look at you get a sense of just how important this hotel was to early Anchorage. It made me almost hope to experience one of the ghosts that are said to roam the halls but nah, had a restful night. One thing I would highly suggest is if you are new to Anchorage I would take the carriage ride, we had a great ride but would pass on the Orso's dinner next time. The Orso dinner was OK but the service was horrible!

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side have a better view, West side gives you a view of roofs of the other buildings next door. 3rd floor rooms give the only good views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dan Y

Dear Dan Y
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. You are right, the Historic Anchorage Hotel does have a rich history and is a very important part of early Anchorage! We are happy you had a restful night and enjoyed the Horse Drawn Carriage ride. We will share your comments with ORSO's. Thank you again, we look forward to hosting you again.
All the best,

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I did the Night on the Town package. Very welcoming staff, we stayed in suite 304 very nice with a chilled bottle of sparkling cider ready. Room was spacious very comfortable bed(loved the coverlet on the bed) plenty of towels in bathroom and even had a little ghostly experience. Woke up from husband snoring and I heard my phone shuffle on the table on my side of bed. It wasn't a vibrate from any sort of notification on my phone or I would have heard the tone it makes or noticed a glow from the light up like it does. I had my back to the noise and was too afraid to turn towards the noise thinking I might see a ghost. All in all though it was a wonderful overnight stay with the horse and carriage ride to dinner as well as a ride around Anchorage. 60.00 off certificate for ORSOs restaurant also included in package. Laura K. Wasilla,AK

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LauraK1965

Dear Laura K
We are pleased to hear you found the staff very welcoming, the room spacious and the bed comfortable. We are glad you had a wonderful "Night on the Town" package with us. Thank you for sharing your "phone story" , we will add to our ghostly encounters log. We look forward to hosting you and your husband again in the future.