“A nice walk, but that's all”
Review of Earthquake Park

$159.00*
Anchorage Summer Sunset Photo Safari
Ranked #27 of 227 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Owner description: A designated area of Anchorage which shows the destruction caused by the 1964 earthquake.
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I wanted to see the park, because I lived in Anchorage in 1964 at the time of the earthquake. That was an experience I'll never forget.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the park. It's a pleasant walk along the path from the parking area, and the placards are interesting, but you can see the entire thing in 15 minutes or less. I think it's good that they've memorialized the earthquake, but the execution wasn't so good.

If you want an easy stroll in the quiet of the woods, but you don't have a lot of time, it's worth a stop.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The walk to the park from the parking lot is pretty short and easy. There are some informative signs, but as time has passed you don't get much of a view. Sadly I was there on a cloudy, overcast day so there was no chance of seeing any of Denali.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Earthquake Park itself is really small and there is really not much to see there. Going by the GPS directions, we first drove to Earthquake Park in the evening because we were told you can see Mt. McKinley on a clear day from there. After parking, we walked the very short distance - I think it said a 15 min walk but it was more like a 5 min walk) and arrived at an area that had a statue/monument with signs about the earthquake. This is NOT the place to see the mountain. We didn't know and spent at least 45 minutes there. In addition to the displays about the earthquake, there is one sign with a picture of the mountain range so we were trying to see the mountain, even a glimpse, from this place. Eventually we did see it, but there were so many overgrown trees and branches, it seemed so strange that this was the lookout point. After taking what pictures we could, we then left (it was around 10:30pm now) and as we were driving away, my husband decided to see if there was another place to park with a better view - yes there is! You need to drive a little bit (not too much) - just follow the outer part of the park and you will see another place to park. There is only one sign here related to the mountain range and here you can get a much better view without trees to block your view. We did not have a clear day but as the sun began to set, we would very clearly see the outline and silhouette of Mt. McKinley and the other two mountains beside it. I was thrilled that finally we caught a glimpse of it (be warned that it's not that big because you're looking at it from Anchorage and not Denali) but I think it only became visible because the sun was going down so come in the late evening.

2  Thank Jorlan
Reviewed August 22, 2012

There are many interesting places in Alaska with historical evidence and information about the 1964 earthquake. This is one of them. A nice, quick stop along the Coastal Trail.

Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

One thing you need to remember before you get out of the car is that you are in alaska and if you have not heard yet or not but the state bird is the mosquito! So beaware of these huge birds flying everywhere!

After you make it through the birds (mosquitos) then you can enjoy the history of this place! Well i will be honest i was a little freaked out that i was standing where this horrible earthquake had happen but it was very cool to see!

Been to Earthquake Park? Share your experiences!