“Takes some time”

$99.00*
Anchorage City Tour with Alaska Native Heritage Center
Ranked #64 of 229 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Owner description: A creek located downtown where salmon run up fish ladders.
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This creek is hard to review. I was planning to fish it but the salmon run was nonexistent when I was there so I did not fish. We did see others fishing it but you could see that there were no fish in the river from the overlooking bridges. At the mouth, there is a small park or parking area. It is a bit industrial but we saw several (three) Beluga whales right from the shore.

1  Thank Outdoorguy2

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had 2 days in Anchorage after our cruise and heard about the fishing here at Ship Creek which is just a few blocks walking distance from our hotel. We headed over there and down the hill by Earthquake Park off Avenue C. We found a dozen people there fishing for Silver Salmon. You could see the big fish swimming around and while there we watched 2 get caught and another 2 dropped in 15-20 minutes. There is a shack there that rents all fishing gear including waders for around $30. They have a filet station and grill there to cook them if you'd like. The secret is you have to fish around high tide, hour before and hour after. The tides in Alaska are huge and creek empties at low tide and turns into a big muddy mess. But for some quick fun without having to travel somewhere, thats a great place to go. There is also a bar and restaurant right there sitting over the creek.

4  Thank Gwhizz63
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I hesitate to right this review because Ship Creek bike trail is a relatively unknown place to ride, making it especially nice. Lots of Anchorage multi-use trails are well loved and well used, making them not so conducive for a ride with consistent pace. I'm not a rabid bike racer type, but I do like to ride uninhibited. Ship Creek trail offers that, along with lovely views of the creek.

1  Thank MarciaAK
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Take a stroll along the creek behind the Comfort Hotel and across the creek on the other side to see the salmon from the shore and the bridge and read about early Ship Creek and Anchorage history.

2  Thank Kathy D
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Overall disapppointed in the area. It was pretty dirty and run down. I have been to very nice inner city parks/river front areas and this is not one of them. My kids couln't believe I took them there.