“Peaceful place to stroll”

Alaska Botanical Garden
Ranked #43 of 217 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take in the beauty of Alaska's native flora and northern-hardy perennials at this tranquil garden located amidst 110 acres of boreal forest. View perennial, herb, alpine rock and wildflower gardens. Walk on nature trails, enjoy our Gold Medal Peony Collection and visit our Anchorage Heritage Garden. The main paved loop is about a half mile. ABG is a completely outdoor facility with a small gift shop. There are currently no greenhouses or indoor facilities. We are open year round, but snow covered in the winter. The fence surrounding the garden keeps the moose out, but bears can come and go. ABG is a private non-profit, we received no state or municipal funding. ABG is supported by entry fees, memberships, donations, program fees, gift shop sales and corporate sponsorship. If you have any questions please feel free to visit our website or call the office. We hope you enjoy your visit and thank you for supporting the garden!
Detroit, Michigan
“Peaceful place to stroll”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Time in the woods and beautiful garden "rooms" at this botanical garden--great way to what can be grown in this part of Alaska. The peonies -- wow! Lovely herb garden, rock gardens.

Visited July 2014

Anchorage, Alaska
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Excellent Resource for Alaskans, but not destination worthy for visitors”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

As a resident Alaskan, I love the botanical garden and visit once a year for ideas and information for my own property, not only from the guided tours but also from the books in the gift shop, other volunteers and visitors, and the UAF (Univ AK- Fairbanks) gardening guides. I encourage any and all Alaskans to visit. It only costs $7 and takes about 1.5 hours, once there.

However, having visited other more impressive botanical gardens in other cities, such as Chicago and New York (at 3 times the price), I can understand the disappointed reviews of visitors, too. This is not a 100 year old garden with an endowment and large staff. This is largely a labor of volunteer love on 111 or so acres, with paths through the woods and a garden carved out here and there. (And since our growing season is so short (and fast), there won't be much to see in May or even the first half of June, but there is a lot in bloom after that.)

We enjoy the free, 1 pm 1 hour walking tour with a guide. Patrick was knowledgeable and enthusiastic about both the garden and the the community outreach to schools and neighborhoods. I imagine that he is a delightful teacher. My only recommendation to him would be to pause from time to time, like at each garden, and ask, "any questions?" He was probably trying to observe a timeline, but it was clear to me that members of our tour frequently wanted to ask questions but just gave up as he moved on up the trail, pointing out plants the whole time. It might also be polite to ask where people are from so that he could answer their questions with that information in mind. For example, on our tour people hailed from Fairbanks, western NY, NC, the Mat-Su valley, and I don't know where else.

In conclusion, I heartily encourage Alaskans to visit for all sorts of good reasons, but I think visitors with a time limit could skip it, in favor of the Tony Knowles Trail (free walk along the Cook Inlet) or the Animal Conservation Park (that's not the official name) between Girdwood and Palmer (check current cost).

Visited July 2014
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Absolutely gorgeous!!!”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My mom and I had the opportunity to visit the Alaska Botanical Garden in Anchorage. The flowers, foliage, and grounds were beautiful... We were a little disappointed that there wasn't more diversity in the type of flowers/greenery and that the garden wasn't larger.

chicago
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Just okay”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I was looking forward to walking around here, but it was pretty disappointing. I've gotten much more enjoyment walking around the Anchorage Zoo, which is in a beautiful setting with better paths. There really wasn't much to see, and the layout wasn't the greatest. I know it's run by volunteers, but the woman taking the cash was not the greatest person to greet guests. Too bad.

1 Thank AKjazzj
, General Manager at Alaska Botanical Garden, responded to this review, June 1, 2016
So sorry this person didn't enjoy their experience. Much has changed in the last two years. We have a professional team of horticulturists, supported by a great cadre of volunteers. Our property emphasizes gardens within the wild boreal forest with several paths that remain unpaved purposely. Visit our website at alaskabg.org.
Elma, New York
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Not well done”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The gardens are poorly laid out and there isn't much to see this time of year. We hiked down to the creek and got eaten alive by bugs.