“Only if you have time to kill.”

Alaska Botanical Garden
Ranked #41 of 228 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take in the beauty of Alaska's native flora and northern-hardy perennials at this tranquil garden located amidst 110 acres of boreal forest. View perennial, herb, alpine rock and wildflower gardens. Walk on nature trails, enjoy our Gold Medal Peony Collection and visit our Anchorage Heritage Garden. The main paved loop is about a half mile. ABG is a completely outdoor facility with a small gift shop. There are currently no greenhouses or indoor facilities. We are open year round, but snow covered in the winter. The fence surrounding the garden keeps the moose out, but bears can come and go. ABG is a private non-profit, we received no state or municipal funding. ABG is supported by entry fees, memberships, donations, program fees, gift shop sales and corporate sponsorship. If you have any questions please feel free to visit our website or call the office. We hope you enjoy your visit and thank you for supporting the garden!
Reviewed August 2, 2013

More like a family garden than a proper botanical education centre. Nice walks, everything tagged, but pretty amateur on the botany, more geared towards the gift shop.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

great visit option while waiting on your flight... took a bunch of great flower photos, and was easy to get over to the airport afterwards. I've been to more elaborate gardens before, but this one was easy and quick to get in/out, just what we wanted .

1  Thank SpiritCurvesGregor
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Alaska Botanical Garden is something different from other Botanical Garden with the majority of wilderness flowers. I could admire and to get in touch with so different and nice species. They are doing a wonderful job!

1  Thank Rosa Maria L
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've never visited a botanical garden, and I guess it's not really my "thing". I may have been expecting too much here, but I thought there would be huge beautiful flowers everywhere. There were a few, but overall it was pretty boring. With that being said, the woman working at the front gate was extremely friendly and it was a pretty nice walk through the woods.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm a fan of botanic gardens, and try to visit them wherever I go. They're a great way to understand the trees and flowers you see when you travel and you also learn about an area's history. So I was looking forward to the Alaska Botanical Garden in Anchorage.

My husband and I took a cab from our hotel and were at the entrance by 8:30am on a Friday morning. This garden is open during daylight hours, which means 19 hours a day in Anchorage in July. Outside we saw a colorful edible garden with purple and green cabbages, rainbow chard, orange nasturtiums, garlic chives and other edible greens and flowers - very inviting. Inside the gates - which are there to keep out moose - we found a box for our donation, literature, and a board with a note 'Black bear sighted near entrance at 1:30pm on July 1'. No question that we were in Alaska!

Walking through the garden we first saw the Lower Perennial garden, also colorful in hues of blue, purple and greens. A highlight for me were the blue Himalayan poppies! Sculptures throughout the garden added to the mood. Moving on to the herb garden I really loved the wooden enclosure which evoked medieval England. This garden is laid out in a formal style with beds of herbs, peaceful and a great place to gather your thoughts in a peaceful setting. This is everything an herb garden should be and it was hard to pull myself away. The next garden, Lily's Garden, is based on Athabascan beadwork - colorful as well and also with fruit trees which flourish in the micro climate of Anchorage near the water. Moving on there is the newest garden in the Alaska Botanical Garden - a Heritage Garden in process for the upcoming centennial of Anchorage. It's shaping up nicely and focuses on many heirloom trees, bushes and plants. Down the path and around back to the entrance is the Upper Perennial Garden also filled with colorful flowers and lots of green. No bear - or moose - in sight we called a taxi which came quickly and we were off to our next destination.

This garden also has training and lecture areas, and a children's Master Garden. On the morning we visited there were mosquitoes but we got out our repellent. Going in the morning was very quiet and peaceful and as we left one additional visitor was heading in. I'm sure this garden is lovely at any time of day but the early morning peace and the dew on the plants was a special experience. I highly recommend.