“Best Downtown Hostel”

Bent Prop Inn & Hostel of Alaska
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stay every spring and fall for several weeks. When I travel, I consider location, facilities, price and the staff. Bent Prop Inn is in the heart of downtown and close to everything. The Inn is very clean and well maintained. There is a clean kitchen, comfortable common room, tv room, and onsight laundry. The best feature, however, is the staff. A great bunch of people, led by Dave, will make your stay there the best of times. Candace F

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Great service, friendly and helpful staff. A good selection of private as well as shared rooms. The location can't be beat, right next to the bus station and just blocks from downtown. My stay was during the winter so my brother and I were the only travelers, but a fun collection of locals made for a lively atmosphere despite the gray skies. The Bent Prop Inn was by far the best of several hostels in Anchorage. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I traveled in late December, not a typical tourism time. John and Cindy were very friendly and helpful. In the New Year's Day there was no bus running, but John took me to the coastal trail so that I could enjoy the beautiful view. John also gave me the ride from the train station and to the airport. The semi-private room I stayed in was like an apartment. Everything works like a charm. If I come back to anchorage in summer, this is going to be my place again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We traveled in the off season (winter) and basically shared an apartment with just one other person. John is really friendly and got everything set up nicely and quickly for us. There is off street parking too.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I came here after an interesting stay at the nearby Qupqugiaq Inn. The difference is night and day. I'm staying here during my r and r from the slope and for all the amenities you can't beat the price. John and his wife are super friendly. There was even a massive Christmas feast prepared and the food was amazing. I'll most likely be staying here every month on my r&r.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The overwinter private room price is incredibly reasonable. For the price you basically get a small apartment complete with private bath & kitchen. The sleeping arrangements are bunk bed style but the staff works to ensure compatibility between roommates. During my time there (a month), I had the entire space to myself for several days. The rooms show some wear but are clean and functional. The staff are exceedingly helpful. Excellent central location in town. Good internet service. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Semi-private rooms are more expensive but have vastly better amenities and value.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Sorry for the delay in praise gentlemen. This place is excellent. I just wanted to escape the rigor of everyday life, and mission accomplished . The guys who run this place are ex-military, a professionalism reflected in their, promptness, courtesy, and an obvious sense of pride reflected in everything they do for you. I was there for Christmas and they provided a full, and I mean more than everyone there could eat, delicious meal. Thank you very much gents.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo