“Fun Trip”
Review of D-Day Battle Tours

D-Day Battle Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Rene van Oirschot, Monica Baan and Ellwood Von Siebold of D-Day Battle Tours will provide you with one of the most memorable Normandy D-Day tours. D-Day Battle Tours offers you a quality choice of World War Two D-Day tours with Normandy tours tailor made to match your time schedule and level of interest. D-Day Battle Tours is an established tour company located in the centre of Sainte Mere Eglise, Normandy. We aim to provide a battlefield tour experience which is informative, flexible and memorable for you and your group.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Completed a one-day trip with Rene on the 4th of July. Had three other gentlemen with us from Oregon who were Band of Brothers fans as well which made for a nice trip. We were able to talk "shop" and add highlights to the trip. Though several things were not on the tour, Rene recognized how passionate we were about History and took extra time to show us the sites we so longed to see. When Rene picked us up, I asked him about where Richard Winters had led the charge into Carentan, much to my surprise and pleasure, he immediately whipped us around to the exact spot and even stopped by the aid station that was established on the morning of the attack. The highlight was when Rene stopped by the Leadership Monument and allowed us to get some pictures. Honestly, if I had not been given the opportunity to see this monument, the trip would have been somewhat disappointing. I do feel that a little too much time is spent at the museum but on many tours it is probably necessary. Our group already had a wealth of knowledge that the museum really did not add much to. According to one of our travel mates who had taken a D-Day tour before, Rene offered so much more than any other group he knew of. We were not disappointed and the trip met and in many instances exceeded the expectations of a former Advanced Placement U.S. History teacher and Band of Brothers enthusiast. Highly recommend this tour group.

1  Thank bondoGeorgia
"small church"
"famous church"
in 69 reviews

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We did a one-day tour with Ellwood. There were 8 of us from USA & Canada. Ellwood started by giving us an overview at his house, using maps and flipcharts as tools. The story involving his house is quite interesting. The Airborne Museum next door was next; we could have spent hours there. Lunch is in town followed by a detailed description of the allies landing in the town and stories surrounding its church. This was followed by tours of Utah Beach, Pointe Du Hoc, Omaha Beach, and finally the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial.

Ellwood provided us with considerable detail of the preparations, the landings, and the days thereafter. The more questions we asked the more he explained. He rarely didn't know the answers to questions. Although the tour was predominantly American he frequently referenced the Canadian contributions as well as those of other allies.

He has a wealth of knowledge and an obvious passion for this history. I won't be repetitive but agree with the many detailed positive comments made by others here. I would highly recommend him to anyone who wants to spend a day learning about this incredible moment in history.

1  Thank traveltheglobe1
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Cannot imagine anything worse than our tour. Our guide knew little more than my 12 year old. I I started following other guides around because ours could not answer questions and new little more than what was on the plaques at the facilities. Could not have been more disappointed. Saved up for this trip and the highlight was to be Normandy. Feel like I have to go back as our family feels we didn't really get to experience it. BRUTAL.

3  Thank Brett A
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Our 2 day tour with Ellwood was informative, and our long awaited trip to the WW2 sites of Normandy would have fallen short without him. He is informative, enthusiastic and kept our attention. We believe very strongly that the value a good guide gives in priceless, but the time spent having lunch we could have had more time visiting the sites. Given the option, we would have elected to bring bag lunches. However, I would highly recommend Ellwood to anyone going to this area, you won't regret the time or money spent - he is the best! We will never forget our time with him and are grateful for the opportunity to visit this historic area.

1  Thank LovetoTravel614
See more reviews
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Being a WWII since childhood, finally setting foot in Normandy was a bit of a pilgrimage for me, and as such, I wanted to make sure we made the most of our short time there (alas, only two days and one night). Having a knowledgable tour guide like Trevor made a huge difference in the D-Day experience. I'd read about the high-level planning and execution, but hearing personal stories and seeing the actual landmarks made the magnitude of the operation so much more real. Trevor planned a great tour that covered the Utah and Omaha beachheads, the paratrooper museum, the American Cemetery and a few other sites. We had lunch at a small museum where we were allowed to wind an air raid siren and hold a spy's cyanide capsule - truly amazing. Even my wife, who wasn't interested in the least about WWII, started asking questions towards the end of the tour.

Word of advice - book early. We went in early August and it took a lot of effort to find an available tour even though I booked a month in advance.

1  Thank piyopiyo13