“You won't regret choosing Elwood.”
Review of D-Day Battle Tours

D-Day Battle Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Rene van Oirschot, Monica Baan and Ellwood Von Siebold of D-Day Battle Tours will provide you with one of the most memorable Normandy D-Day tours. D-Day Battle Tours offers you a quality choice of World War Two D-Day tours with Normandy tours tailor made to match your time schedule and level of interest. D-Day Battle Tours is an established tour company located in the centre of Sainte Mere Eglise, Normandy. We aim to provide a battlefield tour experience which is informative, flexible and memorable for you and your group.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I found D-Day Battle Tours through Rick Steves’ travel book on France. After several email exchanges and a mailed deposit check, the arrangements were set. I was travelling with my mother and stepfather and wanted to have a personalized experience so I requested a private tour without any other people joining us. Although it would have been cheaper to have others accompany us, the extra expense was worth having the individualized attention. Ellwood met us at the train station in Careton right at 937 after our trip in from Paris on March 27. He immediately took us to his historic home where he provided us with a lecture of sorts about what we would see later in the day. It was very useful in prepping us and helped us appreciate the sites far more than we otherwise would.
Ellwood is a master storyteller that gives the tour a personalized touch. His stories make even the biggest simpleton pay attention. In addition, he carries a book of photographs that shows the people and places as they were during the war. This is a great touch that makes the sites come alive. As we moved from site to site, I also noticed the other tour guides and listened in. I must say, it was a good feeling to know we were with the best after hearing bits and pieces of their tour.
Some commentators made note that he rushes through the sites. The reality is the sites throughout Normandy are far apart and an 8 hour tour simply isn’t long enough. He recommends the 2 day tour but if you only have a day Ellwood will make the most of every minute. My family and I highly recommend him.

2  Thank Ryan E

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Elwood was able to keep 6 children from the ages of 9 to 17 interested! That in itself was amazing. Top that with the weather being relentlessly windy and cold and it is beyond amazing. There was not a complaint from one of them! Our group of 10 talked about the tour and what they had learned well after the day had ended. We would go back in a minute and would love to take family and friends on the tour. We cannot say enough good things!!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

January 2013 ~ My 15-year old son is a WWII buff, so I booked a full-day, private tour with D-Day Battle Tours to help us gain a better appreciation of the area and the history of that momentus operation.

I knew my son would be fascinated with everything, but my 12-year old daughter was also with us. I was not sure whether she'd be equally engaged. But she was!

The massive amount of information that was shared, and the way in which Elwood presented it was fantastic, I thought. I liked that he not only took the time at the outset to learn each of our perspectives, but he kept us involved by asking questions of us rather than just lecturing at us.

I highly recommend D-Day Battle Tours. Worth every penny!

Katherine Turpin
(and Alex & Olivia)

4  Thank Katherine T
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Returned with my husband as indicated. For personal reasons we had Elwood for a private day. Speechless! An amazing experience even just 6 months later for me. Had the perfect pace and amount of information. Elwood kept it interesting, engaging and respectful. You won't be disappointed.... And if we go back, we'll dial them up again..really wants me to learn more about the area as well as the battles..You could spend a week easily......

Reviewed December 8, 2012

there are good and bad things with this tour.
Good - Probably the only d-day tour you can take out of paris and complete in one day. you see the major sites and get some personal experiences shared from elwood.
Bad - Tons of walking. Extremely Rushed. Not enough time at sites. we had some older folks on tour and they could not keep up (at the end... two people just gave up and waited in the van). If you have any issues with alot of walking, do not take this tour. do not expect a great lunch (tourist trap restaurant where the server treated the americans badly... for example... one guy ordered a diet coke and she brought him a regular coke... she refused to exchange it). Elwood can be aloof at times and very short with his guests. Just be prepared for it when you see it or experience (read some of the other reviews for this type of experience).

A couple of tips... when elwood leaves you to see the museum... go and see everything... that is your only chance to view things at your leisure and even visit the gift shop b/c this is your only chance. elwood hurries people through sites and things. as a history buff I would have liked more time ... however, it was more than plenty for my wife who had more than enough. Also you may want to research the normandy american cemetery prior to your trip. you have a short, but memorable visit here (which gets over 3M visitors a year!).

Another tip for the train ride back... there is a grocery near by the train station... go there to stock up on provisions for the train ride back to paris. you will want some food and drink for the long train ride home (as I do not believe there is anything served on the train). The grocery store is straight away from the train station and then I believe you take a left... but you may want to ask to confirm. The funny thing is everyone in our tour group ended up at the grocery store without anyone asking anyone.

4  Thank WindyCityBard