“Rushed tour”
Review of D-Day Battle Tours

D-Day Battle Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Rene van Oirschot, Monica Baan and Ellwood Von Siebold of D-Day Battle Tours will provide you with one of the most memorable Normandy D-Day tours. D-Day Battle Tours offers you a quality choice of World War Two D-Day tours with Normandy tours tailor made to match your time schedule and level of interest. D-Day Battle Tours is an established tour company located in the centre of Sainte Mere Eglise, Normandy. We aim to provide a battlefield tour experience which is informative, flexible and memorable for you and your group.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

there are good and bad things with this tour.
Good - Probably the only d-day tour you can take out of paris and complete in one day. you see the major sites and get some personal experiences shared from elwood.
Bad - Tons of walking. Extremely Rushed. Not enough time at sites. we had some older folks on tour and they could not keep up (at the end... two people just gave up and waited in the van). If you have any issues with alot of walking, do not take this tour. do not expect a great lunch (tourist trap restaurant where the server treated the americans badly... for example... one guy ordered a diet coke and she brought him a regular coke... she refused to exchange it). Elwood can be aloof at times and very short with his guests. Just be prepared for it when you see it or experience (read some of the other reviews for this type of experience).

A couple of tips... when elwood leaves you to see the museum... go and see everything... that is your only chance to view things at your leisure and even visit the gift shop b/c this is your only chance. elwood hurries people through sites and things. as a history buff I would have liked more time ... however, it was more than plenty for my wife who had more than enough. Also you may want to research the normandy american cemetery prior to your trip. you have a short, but memorable visit here (which gets over 3M visitors a year!).

Another tip for the train ride back... there is a grocery near by the train station... go there to stock up on provisions for the train ride back to paris. you will want some food and drink for the long train ride home (as I do not believe there is anything served on the train). The grocery store is straight away from the train station and then I believe you take a left... but you may want to ask to confirm. The funny thing is everyone in our tour group ended up at the grocery store without anyone asking anyone.

4  Thank WindyCityBard

Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I went on a tour with Allan in early October and we cannot put into word how good the tour was.

Allan is a great story teller and even with the rain coming down and the freezing temperature we both hung on his every word. He makes you feel like you are really there with the battle going on around you; you can imagine the paratroopers landing around you and the bullets flying around.

His knowledge is extraordinary...I myself thought I had a fairly good knowledge of the Battle of Normandy but he knew every question I asked and added more knowledge to things I thought I already knew.

I think the best part of the tour was he inspired me to learn about the battle more indepth and in a different way. He makes you question things that your already thought you knew and really get to know a single soldiers story instead of just focusing on the overall battle.

We highly recommended Allan...Thanks

2  Thank Glen3109
Reviewed October 30, 2012

It is no coincidence that the reviews for Ellwood are so favorable. My brother and I recently enjoyed two fascinating days spent with him touring D-Day locations. What makes the experience outstanding is that Ellwood combines military knowledge with a love of the history of the events that occurred there. He has taken the time to learn about both the events and the people who influenced them, both in large and small ways. It makes for a fascinating way of visiting these sites and adds meaning where an average person would not appreciate what it is that they are viewing. I would highly recommend him !

1  Thank sunnyflash
Reviewed October 18, 2012

From the time Alan picked us up from the train station in Carentan until he dropped us off 8 hours later he was non stop information. Great historical information with person stories from the guys who were there. Have read some concerns about the dining option Alan provides, I would rather eat a quick sandwich and get back on the tour than sit in a diner for an hour, be prepared to walk and stand for extend times, be sure and watch the weather for temps, being from Texas the shock of 55 and cloudy with a brisk wind was a radical change from our 90 in September.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Ellwood von Siebold is incredibly knowledgeable and a terrific guide. He led us through the D-Day locations and brought the Allied strategy and tactics to life via narrative and visual aids. A truly great experience.

1  Thank Dean K