“very nice meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge le John Steele

Auberge le John Steele
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Burnley
“very nice meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We went here on the last night it opened for the season. The food was lovely and we would definitely have gone again if it was open.

• Visited October 2013

Pacifica, California
“A great dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I'm not a big food critic, I like almost everything. That said, this place was so good we went back the next night. A charming location and a very friendly staff got things started off just right. Our delightful waitress spoke very little english and our French is about as bad as it gets, but that's OK.

The situation made our meal seem so authentic. We had fish one night and steak on the next, both were fantastic! The highlight for me was the salad, absolutely the best I have ever had!

The dessert is ordered at the beginning of the meal as they prepare it while you are having the main course. What can I say, "French Dessert" does it get any better?

I thought the prices were quite reasonable, a small bottle of wine and the above meal 60 Euros, a bargain considering the quality of the meal and the gracious service.

If you are going to Sainte-Mere-Eglise or anywhere near, put the Restaurant John Steele on your must do list.

• Visited October 2013
York, Pennsylvania, United States
“Truly a great place to eat!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife and I ate here twice, first on the recommendation of our B&B host, and second time because we enjoyed the first so much!! The hostess is the owner along with her chef husband. The food was to die for, and certainly when compared to Paris prices, a bargain! I don't speak a word of French, everybody there spoke enough English to communicate, and all were extremely friendly and fun. We too ate off the 24 and 30 euro menus, both meals were incredible and the best we had during our 2 weeks in France. The veal chop I had was just the best I have ever had, ever!! There isn't a lot of choice in Sainte-Mere-Eglise, but these folks aren't resting on their laurels!! Would be superb anywhere in the world, all I can say is go there, you won't regret it!! Thanks so much for two memorable meals!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Gregory L
Orange Park, Florida
“Traditional French Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We wanted a traditional style French dining experience and we got it. Great ambiance, delicious food and excellent service. We ordered from the fixed price menu and we ordered for an appetizer the cooked oysters, salad with salmon and poached egg, for an entree we had the cod in a saffron sauce, the steak with mushroom gravy, an assortment of four cheeses after the entree and the creme brûlée and ice cream with apple cider glaze. The ambiance was very nice, tables were set with linen tablecloths and napkins and a nice selection of wines. There were a few rooms but not real big. It was a great selection we made by coming here.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank ukienomad
“Eat here twice during our Normandy visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed this country French restaurant. Very traditional... It takes two to three hours to get through the courses. A good wine list. We did enjoy their set price menus. The first night we ordered the 24 euro menu and it was varied and wonderful. The second night we ordered the 30 euro menu, and it was great but too much food. The one strange thing at this restaurant is that you have to order dessert at the beginning of the evening, which was ok with the 24 euro meal... But we were too full to enjoy the dessert with the 30 euro dinner. Lovely service and atmosphere!

• Visited September 2013