“Somewhat quirky, but very nice!”

Les Etangs de Corot
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ville D'Avray
Clare, United Kingdom
“Somewhat quirky, but very nice!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Ville d'Avray is rather an odd place(or, at least the parts we walked around) as it seems to comprise a multitude of up-market apartment blocks interspersed with a few shops offering services (rather than retail products) and one or 2 restaurants. The hotel is right on the road (but has a large underground car-park), but at the back is a garden for drinks and then one goes out a gate to the charming Etangs.Our room was nicely decorated and furnished, with a good bathroom, and was spotless.We ate in the bistrot restaurant which was very good,with a fine wine list(although there must be a close connection to Smith-Haut-Lafite as there wines dominated the list).Breakfast was good, but a tad pricey, I think 20 euros each.The great plus of its location is the proximity to Versailles.Service was also good, although no-one offered to help my ancient body with the cases!Finally, avoid a Wednesday-we didn't-as the spa is closed that day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife spent three nights here at the end of our two week tour of France...to chill before we got home. It was perfect for us. Arrived in the evening...superb meal in the bistro. Next day a day at Versailles (we'd already done Paris)...and back for a beautiful walk round the ponds (these are public and just behind, but watching the wildlife with a beautiful sky that produced some amazing photos on such serenity was perfect for a wind down). Drinks in the beautiful little garden were spot on. The next day we used the spa...my wife uses Caudalie all the time, so this was a treat for her...unknown territory for me! Neither of us were disappointed and the day was so chilled and relaxing we couldn't ask for more. We had a meal in the restaurant that feels like it's built in the trees. Pricier, but a step up from the other restaurant and well worth the money. We didn't use the third restaurant because it was closed. It was clear that, many other diners were locals, which gave a great atmosphere and is always a good sign in France.

Only one issue would be access...the station is a 20 minute walk up hill to the hotel and I suspect taxis are not available without a phone call. This did not affect us, because we had a car from Gate du Lyon which they arranged for us when I made enquiries a week before.

We didn't need much contact with the reception staff, but the restaurant, bar and spa staff were amazing. One of the young waiters must have been the happiest person I have ever met in service anywhere...an amazing feat in France - a shame I don't know his name. Our spa therapists were Julia and Orliane who made our experience perfect...Also, the restaurant manager who when I ordered our Bordeaux proudly announced that her family own the vineyard...a massive thank you to all of you....you helped make our stay perfect.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Ed B
Sao Paulo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Nice location, doubtlessly.

High prices and poor service.

I arrived on a Sunday after 12 noon after an 11 hour flight and the room was not ready... OK, I was told: "go to the bar and wait, and we can keep your luggage here at the reception desk". At the bar, I was not offered a drink, not even a glass of water. The bartender, very busy doing nothing did not even moved to ask me if I wanted to order (at cost) something...

One hour later or more, I was given my room key... I got back my luggage, and I am not 100% sure it was looked after correctly when it remained at the reception desk (it was not stored into a sort of luggage room as it usually happens in hotels, but surprisingly stayed in the lobby...).

Other surprise at the breakfast buffet... Not enough staff... The buffet remained more than 15 minutes without any clean plates...

The room was tiny, but OK. I had problems with the shower. It did not work very well, and on the second day, I was denied access to cold water. The only thing available was almost boiling water!

Another unpleasant detail: a kind of sludgy smell in the room, all the time...

Finally, I wanted to have some pieces of clothing cleaned, and asked, on Monday early morning, when I could get back my stuff. The answer was "Tuesday after 0930am". No same day laundry service... This is not really acceptable.

The bill upon check out was up to the expectation: over 500.00 euros for 2 nights and no meals!

It was a "once in my lifetime" experience, and I will not recommend this place to anyone...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jnha
bellya80
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have just returned from 3 nights at Les Etangs de Corot and had a fantastic stay. The hotel is absolutely lovely and backs onto large lake and forest which is so serene. Lots of soaking up sun and walks! We had the pleasure of staying in the Junior Suite due to the low season which was so modern, clean, air conditioning and massive balcony with seats for watching stars at night. The service at the hotel was outstanding - the staff are so friendly and courteous, which was nice. The hotel is only 10 mins in a taxi to Versailles (Chateau) and cost about 12 Euro each way. The food at the restaurants was very good - no complaints whatsoever. We loved our stay here and will be back!

Room Tip: We had the junior suite and were not dissapointed - it made for a luxury trip..happy couple now.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Very Nice **** Hotel in Paris Surburb, in Ville d'Avray, close to Versailles.
There is a nice park with lake just behind the hotel, where it's nice to have a run. The hotel includes a Caudalié SPA. I went then for a business event and could enjoy the calm of the place, the nice big rooms with huge bathroom. The restaurant is good with many different "flavours" and the bar very welcoming.
If you want to escape from the Paris crowd for a while, though in reachable distance from Paris, in an original place which does not look like the standardized hotel chains, this is the right place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DeniZinho
Falmouth, Maine
Reviewed June 27, 2012

When one is headed to a large tourist city like Paris, we are often faced with the tourist hotels or the other extreme of pseudo 5 star hotels at outrageous prices. After visiting many European chains, Novotels of the kind as well as the impersonal tourist hotels, a friend made a reservation at Les Etangs de Corot. Nestled in nice upscale neighborhood just outside and west of Paris along a river bank, a homey and simply furnished private room - only 50+ of them apparently, were introduced to me. Along with nice little set of Caudalie toiletry, it was calming and comfortable. Only negative was the head waiter in the cafe, a superiority behavior that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. The rest of the staff was completely courteous throughout the stay, including a bicycle guide to the train station by the front desk staff so i can make the flight. That type of simple kindness is often rare in France.

Room Tip: just say, please pick a nice room for me. I would trust the staff's recommendation. A room fac...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Carmel, CA
Reviewed June 8, 2012

The hotel has a lovely location, but one of the restaurants takes the best views of the lakes and the hotel rooms have only glimpses. The rooms are quite comfortable, but more like a hotel than a country inn. The staff is helpful, but again one has the feeling of staying in a large hotel.

The "gourmet" restaurant is lacking in selections and the quality is modest compared to the prices. The "Cafe des Artistes" has better selections and better value for price.

They have live music in the garden on weekends - get a rooms away from the noise if you want to retire early!

Room Tip: Don't accept the first room you are shown. The one we were first shown overlooked a constructio...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
#3 of 12 in Rueil-Malmaison
Hotel du Cheval Rouge
Hotel du Cheval Rouge
#13 of 26 in Versailles

Been to Les Etangs de Corot? Share your experiences!