“Seattle Airport Light Rail to Downtown was GREAT!!!!”
Review of Seattle

Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
50 helpful votes
“Seattle Airport Light Rail to Downtown was GREAT!!!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We used Seattle's new light rail from/to Airport and Downtown. It's only 2.50 each way. Beats paying $50 for a one-way cab ride. The train ran every 7-10 minutes. I never waited more than 1 minute to get on a train. It was very clean and I felt very safe. All very nice and friendly looking people using the train.

The only drawback is you have to walk a little ways at the airport to get to the light rail station. But it would be the same or longer to get a cab or rent a car. So the light rail wins there.

I will use it again and I will recommend it to anyone who asks.

9 Thank MinnTravelor
Dayton, Ohio
32 helpful votes
“First time in Seattle.”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We purchased the City Pass and the Entertainment book for this trip. I think we may have been better off just using the Entertainment book. The Entertainment Book had BOGO for everything in the City Pass with the exception of the Space Needle. We also purchased the Grayline Tour to Mt. Rainier through Orbitz, but later found a BOGO coupon for that in the Entertainment Book.

Day one was spent going through the Seattle Center and we had lunch at Steamer's because it was recommended in a "good, cheap eats" book. I'm just glad we had a coupon. It wasn't good, but it sufficed until dinner. We saw the Experience Music Project, the Science Center (lots of fun) and the Space Needle. One of the good things on the trip was the Science Fiction museum located here. For dinner we had Red Mill burgers. AMAZING! We ended up going back again later in the week. If you are in the downtown area and have a vehicle, I highly recommend it!

The next day we went on the Grayline excursion to Mt. Rainier. This was the first highlight of the trip. I think it was a good introduction for folks who aren't into serious hiking, or, like us, who aren't physically fit. The brochure says the trail to Myrtle Falls is accessible by wheel chair with assistance. On this tour we had just enough time for lunch and one trail to a beautiful waterfall. If you have a lot of time in the area or are really into nature photography, plan on driving yourself because if you take the tour you will miss all the good light. Don't forget your sunscreen, waterbottle, and camera. One cool thing is the ice cold water that comes out of the tap in the bathrooms. Also, if the bathroom line is too long at the visitor center, look behind you. There is another bathroom facility a few steps away.

When we returned from the trip, we decided to try The CrabPot because it was on Man v. Food. It was not worth the money. The food cools down really fast once they dump it on the table, there was not enough crab for the price, and the shrimp was hard. It made me wonder how long it had been cooked and cooled and reheated. It LOOKED good though.

I haven't mentioned breakfast because we ate at the hotel most days. We selected the Homewood Suites on Western. It was a really convenient place where the tours we took picked us up, and was within walking distance to Seattle Center (uphill) and the free 99 bus route (downhill). Highly recommend this hotel. A little hard to find, but has a good breakfast, great views, and safe parking.

The next day we went to Pike Place Market. The volume of people and the lunatics who brought puppies and dogs on leashes made me nervous. We didn't stay long. We did go to Mee Sum Pastry (yum) and got some bubble tea at the place next door. Fantastic. The gum wall is quite a sight as well.

The Aquarium is really just a place for children, so if you don't have kids or don't want to see other people's children run wild, stay far away. There is nothing here that isn't at other aquariums. On this day we went to Ivar's which was phenomenal. The service by Sergio was excellent, and the food was some of the best I've had. There is an Entertainment book coupon. We somewhat enjoyed the Argosy Locks Cruise. Take a seat at the front of the boat as far forward as you can. If you are in the last row, expect that people and children will be leaning and banging on your chair for the duration of the trip. Going through the lock was an experience, and it is wonderful to see it as a passenger on the boat as a pedestrian. Very memorable.
We also had dinner that night at Shucker's at the Fairmont hotel. We had a coupon here as well, and the service we received from Roger was exceptional. It was the first time I had raw oysters, and he made excellent recommendations from their daily selection. It was great. Dress up for this one!

On our next day we went on the tour of Safeco ballpark. While we were out there we walked down to Macrina's Bakery. Truly wonderful breads. The ball park tour had a very knowledgeable escort, but it is just a ballpark. We followed this up with a visit to Bruce Lee's grave. That was the second highlight of the trip.

We dropped by TopPot doughnuts on 5th street. Try the chocolate cake glazed. We ended up having dinner at Pike Brewing Company. Try the beer sampler, skip the rice pilaf.

On our final full day we took advantage of the Show Me Seattle City Tour. I am glad we saved this for the end, so that we could hit the high points we didn't see the rest of the week. I really liked this tour because it moved fast and covered a large part of the city. We also saw some things, like the fish ladder, that we didn't know how to find. We enjoyed lunch at the Air Museum. The visit there was educational and enlightening. We followed that up with a trip to Chinook's for dinner, which tied with Shucker's for the best dinner of the week. After Chinook's we enjoyed a second trip to the fish ladder and then went to the Red Mill for a shake.

Lastly, before we headed to the airport, we went to Beth's for breakfast. We knew we wouldn't be able to eat again until late in the evening, and Beth's was the perfect choice. I got the pancake mini-breakfast and the hubby got the Northwestern Exposure 6-egg omelette (salmon, cream cheese, green onion). The attitude was not great, but they kept the coffee coming, and the food was good. If you have children, be aware that the customer drawn art on the walls may have blatant, potentially offensive profanity visible and it is at eye-level alongside pictures of bunnies and unicorns.

Overall Seattle was okay, but the worst of it was anything to do with the car. Parking was hard to find and expensive. The highways were clogged, and the GPS lost its signal in the shadow of the tall buildings downtown.

4 Thank A1derbean
80 helpful votes
“Seattle the bluest skies you'll ever see”
Reviewed July 28, 2010

not my first trip to Seattle and will not be my last! The light rail from the airport was great and inexpensive. People are pleasant, surrounded by water great seafood, ect ect Wandered in and out of several neighborhoods, enjoyed the Sci-Fi museum & attached music experience, go now if you want to see the beautiful dresses of the Supremes on display!

los angeles
6 helpful votes
“grand hyatt on pine street”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

just returned 3 nights in seattle

the grand hyatt was centrally located to all transportation

lovely hotel included brkfast plan

6 blks to pikes

did boeing tour.........ladies they tell you no purse etc no camera but they have lockers right there........which i didn't know before

so i didn't have purse or camera w/me

lake tour at argosy on water has several tours

Bonita Springs, Florida
12 helpful votes
“Seattle buse”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

The Seattle transportation dept.needs to look at other big cities and improve the signage for bus routes and timetables.The
Waterfront trolley had stops in Pioneer square but we never found a clear sign in order to wait for the bus or get a ride on it.
In the downtown area bus signs show numbers and routes but the buses do not stop there.
The rail link was useless to go to Sea-Tac since we could not find an elevator or escalator which went downstairs to the station,next to the steep stairs in the downtown area.Perhaps it was hidden from us or we did not see it.We did not even see a sign for it.This is hard to believe since it would have to be Handicap-friendly. We ended up taking a limo to the airport.

Been to Seattle? Share your experiences!