“Ocho Stars”

Ranked #801 of 4,382 Restaurants in Seattle
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Ballard
Reviewed February 10, 2012

A lot of tapas restaurants make the mistake of creating an ambience that's too Spanish: Flamenco music, gaudy art from Spain, the mandotory flag of Spain, etc. I once went to a tapas place in Barcelona away from the tourist spots. It was a small, a little hole-in-the-wallish, and no piped-in music. Instead, a street musician with a guitar played American rock classics outside the restaurant. But this place had great food.

That's what Ocho reminds me of everytime I go. The space is tiny and crowded with no visible decor to let you know you've just walked into a tapas bar. The first time I went, Tom Petty was the background music. And the food is delicious and very-well priced as tapas go. We tried 8-10 dishes, drank beer and sangria, and the bill was less than $40. And our bellies were full.

Ocho is across the street from La Isla (Puerto Rican) and down the street from Minotaur (Mexican). I call this area the Ballard's Latin triangle of restuarants (I'm purposely ignoring the chain restuarant Azteca next to Ocho).

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Love this place. We've lived in the neighborhood for 4 years and go here almost monthly. It's easy to pass by, their sign is hardly visible. It's a tiny corner restaurant with great ambience, great assortment of tapas, friendly barstaff, and good drinks. There is some outdoor seating but I don't see it used very often. it's a busy corner to be out on the sidewalk. I like their taste in music although at times it gets a bit loud (makes me feel old to say that, but in a small space full of customers the sound and energy is already big)

My favorite--curry mushroom toast, croquetas borrachas, seared peppers, and scallops. Their white sangria is nice, too.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

The two times we've been there it has been too early to test the bar, but food is great. (other patrons seem to enjoy the mixed drinks, however, even at noon on a Sunday). Mushrooms in sherry one of finest "crostinis" I've had. Ever! Fried goat cheese balls were creamy and decadent. Everything was worth having again. Service is friendly and attentive, but wonder how it might be on a busy weekend night when folks are jammed in the place.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Is your cooking in the doldrums? Come to Ocho and get inspired!! Enjoy roasted peppers with melted quezo blanco, sherried mushroom bruschetta, bright crisp salads, wonderfully sauced meat dishes (can't describe them perfectly cause I'm a veg), tarragon potatoes, world famous broccoli, dark chocolate toast - and oh so many more. I got great ideas to brighten up my home cooking. Also a great bar with many unusual concoctions and a good wine list. In the heart of trendy Ballard.

Reviewed June 19, 2010

First visit, will return. Met friends at 5, Corner spot in Ballard, happy hour has $2 bites that 4 of us enjoyed by running through that menu and the regular menu. Scrambled duck egg with truffle oil on crostini, fried goat cheese, spicy shrimp, etc., etc... really enjoyed as a start to the evening. Busy place, yet staff finds a way to serve all. A repeat.