“for chowder aficionados”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Seattle's Pike Place Chowder cafe opened in 2003, offering up award-winning New England Clam Chowder as its signature dish, and continuing to develop original recipes that have taken first-place in dozens of coast-to- coast competitions. A second chowder house, launched in 2007 in the Pacific Place Shopping Center, offers an expanded menu including fish ‘n chips, po’boys and premium beers. The business draws thousands of visitors from around the globe and is listed among the Top Ten Must-Visit Seattle Eateries in dozens of food-and- travel media.
Reviewed March 15, 2014

When I was a child, I was an incredibly picky eater and my parents despaired of ever breaking me from my sacred 5 foods: hot dogs, hamburgers, Kraft macaroni & cheese, French toast, and steak. Then one day we were on a road trip to the East Coast and my mom ordered New England clam chowder and it smelled so good that I asked for a taste. My food rut was broken in an instant. Coming here, I found the New England-style clam chowder of my childhood. It felt something like Proust's madeleine. I would give it a perfect rating except that seems a bit weird for me for a soup... Just come and try it out for yourself!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,440)

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten a lot of clam chowder in my life - east coast and west coast. This place is still the best. They have about eight types but my favorites are new England, salmon and the sea food chowder. All are equally in most people's eyes. Note there is always a line and can sellout in the afternoon. Fair amount of seats available. Prices vary from $5 to $9 a bowl.

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We loved the chowder but struggled to find somewhere to eat it with our 7 and 10 year old kids. The Pike market area was packed and so was the Pike Place Chowder restaurant when we visited last summer. Because the chowder was great we will definitely go back when in Seattle.

2  Thank Izabel73
Reviewed March 13, 2014

No visit to a waterfront area is complete without trying the local clam chowder. This place did not disappoint. First time I have seen a "sampler" assortment on the menu. Great to try out different kinds and see what you like. The Salmon chowder was great!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I wasn't too sure about eating New England clam chowder in washington state but I heard it was wonderful. So I went with my family and if I lived in Seattle I would eat there every day!!!!!!!

Been to Pike Place Chowder? Share your experiences!