“Tough Decision”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Seattle's Pike Place Chowder cafe opened in 2003, offering up award-winning New England Clam Chowder as its signature dish, and continuing to develop original recipes that have taken first-place in dozens of coast-to- coast competitions. A second chowder house, launched in 2007 in the Pacific Place Shopping Center, offers an expanded menu including fish ‘n chips, po’boys and premium beers. The business draws thousands of visitors from around the globe and is listed among the Top Ten Must-Visit Seattle Eateries in dozens of food-and- travel media.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Clam or smoked salmon....clam or smoked salmon....
This decision haunts me every time I go and I usually break down and get a small of each! Terrific place on a rainy Seattle day. Service is more of a "rush you through the line" approach, but the food is excellent. Have to lean toward the clam chowder, which they boast a number of award winning plaques on the wall. Pair it with some sour dough and it's a nice way to take a break from the walking in the market.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,405)

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

It's aa great place in Seattle to eat seafood. We had delicous salmon, it tasted very fresh, just like they had just fished it for us.
The restaurant athmosphere was smooth and silent, good for quiet speaking.
The waitress was very friendly, she gave us tips for viewing Seattle, because we were german tourists.
We will ever go back to this place, when we are back in Seattle again.
If you know Bremen and Bremerhaven (Elvis landed here by ship in 1959, when he was in the army), you may know, that we are at the waterfront in the "Northwest".
And guess, where Seattle is laying? You are right, in the "Northwest"

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I tried the clam chowder and it was great. My boyfriend had the chicken corn chowder, and that was great. Only disappointment was they ran out of bread bowls and didn't give me any bread for my soup.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was lucky that I got the last sour dough bowl before they ran out. They filled it to the brim with one of the best seafood bisque's I've ever had. My only nit would be that they'd put a little more crab meat in the chowder. Other than that, it was very good. And, for about $10, what do you want?

Very busy place. Best to go off rush hours. Casual dining, both inside and out. Located on block away from Pike's Market, on a quaint side street. Easy to find, though.

Lastly, this place does not serve alcohol, but you can grab a beer or wine easily next door when you are finished, if you like.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Depending on when you are heading to Seattle, it is good to have a warm bowl or bread bowl of soup. The Pike Place Market is a great way to spend a day, and P.P.Chowder has great sandwiches and excellent soup and it is located just one half- block off the Market. Since it isn't technically at the Market, the prices may be a bit better too.

Been to Pike Place Chowder? Share your experiences!