“Quick, delicious, inexpensive sandwiches to go”

Specialty's Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #18 of 107 Bakeries in Seattle
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I needed something quick, to take back to our booth at the Convention Center (close by), and this place was just perfect. Clearly a big favourite with the local shoppers/workers. Being from the UK, I was a bit of a novice when it came to some of the fillings, but opted for 'Peanut Butter and Stuff Sandwich' without knowing just what the 'Stuff' might be. Turns out it was mashed banana, thinly sliced apples and what seemed to be cranberry sauce. All piled into two slabs of gorgeously soft poppy seed bread, and only about six dollars.

It's a bit disconcerting that they ask your name when you order and then shout it out while holding up your bag of food (that British reserve coming out!) but with sandwiches as great as this, I could easily get used to it. Not to mention gain several pounds within a week.

Loved my sarnie. Every single peanut buttery mouthful :)

There are newer reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

Reviewed February 12, 2014

In a quest to find something open early on Memorial Day, I stumbled on Specialty's Café. I wasn't the only one in need of sustenance and hot coffee as there was quite a line out the door. When I finally got to the register, I discovered that there was a new girl in training taking orders and that she must have just started that morning because she was still being walked through every step of the ordering process and showing definite signs of stress. Matter of fact, everyone seemed pretty unhappy.

So, no greeting and no smile as I placed my order for a mocha and an egg and veggie sandwich. Most of the customers were taking their orders to go, so I was pleased to find a table. Their seating area is very small so they have squashed a maximum amount of tables and chairs into the cramped area. I was jostled around more than once by people jockeying their chairs for more legroom, but since the tables line the glass windows overlooking the street, I was happy to sit and just people watch.

My order was brought out to me after 10 or 15 minutes. It tasted pretty good, but after the first bite, I realized it was not the egg and veggie sandwich I had ordered, but an egg and bacon. I decided not to make an issue out of it but just to eat and be happy. Bacon was probably the better way to go, anyway.

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I frequent the specialties on 5th and the U Village location. The croissants are great. The cookies mediocre. I can't speak for the catering but the sandwiches I've had were well prepared.

BUT do all the cashiers at the 5th Ave location hate their lives?! If you gave them cattle prods they wouldn't hesitate to use them on tipping customers to simply get the transaction over with as fast as possible and go on about their frenzied shoveling of granola into yogurt cups or something. This happens even when they don't seem busy.

I'm not a picky guy and I definitely enjoy speedy service without trying to start up some stupid conversation at the register, and would never want a cashier to put on some sort of fake-happy, grin-through-your-teeth sort of show! But damn, let's lighten up people.

I can't speak about the catering. And I know this review isn't going to affect specialties bottom line or anything, but that isn't the point. No one should be forced to write negative reviews of what of a small (in store) bakery / coffee cafe. Who knows maybe they're understaffed, or underpaid or whatever. But It's happened enough that if I'm looking for a quick bite during my break I'll definitely be going elsewhere, and if there is someone else reading this, you should too.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

For a place that prides itself on its food, and even offers warm cookie alerts How can they sell you day old, if not more, cookies that are hard as bricks. The cookies when fresh are excellent and the sandwiches are very good on nice bread. I have eaten here many times when in the area, people at work love it, but when the cookies are bricks throw them out!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had just arrived at a hotel across the street and needed to refuel, so we popped in. My partner had the soup (fresh and hearty) and I had a sandwich (BLT - tons of bacon!). The coffee was very good. The desserts were tempting but we didn't want to be in a sugar coma for the rest of the evening, so we passed. The staff were super friendly (and mighty cute!)