“Family- and Neighborhood-Friendly”

Mr Villa
Ranked #1,117 of 4,250 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This isn't strictly my family's neighborhood, but we visit several times a year with friends, and it's certainly a favorite. The staff is friendly, they always helpful getting us situated with several tables (often 10-12 of us at a time), and they're great about keeping things moving (good for kids who otherwise get restless). The food is good, at the prices you'd expect from a place like this, and with a bit of variety around the menu if you look closely.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Our family loves Mr. Villa's. We go there at least once a month for their delicious authentic mexican food (no cheddar cheese in sight!) The chili verde, mole, and carnitas tacos are our favorites. We also love the tacos carbon--so good with guacamole. The only thing I've tried and not loved was the carne de rez--it is a little bland. Everyone is always super friendly and knows our family (of course we've been going there for a long time). They have always been willing make changes we asked for--like giving us 2 quesidillas instead of one with rice and beans for our picky child. The people are super nice and never pretentious (like some of the places we've been to with high recommendations in Ballard).

Reviewed May 20, 2012

For all the drivers on Lake City Way, who notice Mr Villla's as they are zipping by and are thinking about giving this place a try, it is worth a stop. The Mexican food scene in Seattle is bizarrely upside down, with most of the best food coming out of trucks and shacks. There are too many local mini-chain empires serving bland, uninteresting food. Mr Villas is a tall step above the typical restaurants here and a different sort of Mexican food than you'll likely find at the food trucks. Their menu is a nice selection of authentic Mexican items. I recently ordered the Ahogada (chicken) and the waitress actually asked me how spicy I wanted it! Being from California, I stated "Very spicy" and what I received was unlike any other Mexican food I've been served in a restaurant here: it was truly deeply richly spicy, with a liberal helping of sauce. Heavenly! It came with ample separate bowls of guacamole and beans. A feast!
This was a Monday evening, so we were treated to some fantastic live Music while eating. As it turns out, they have music - different groups - performing Monday and Wednesday evenings, from 7 till closing. The ambiance felt different:a neat blend of old school Mexican restaurant (think old California or Arizona hole-in-the-wall), an little Northwest contemporary, with a bit of Bohemian thrown in - but maybe that was the great music. Do stop by and try this place.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

I went for dinner and we were the only table. I tried to be friendly and talk w the server but she did not seem interested. Only time I saw her was when she took the order dropped off the food and then check.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

I recently went into this highly rated local Mexican joint with high hopes but had to leave after I was informed that nothing on the menu is meat-free. The rice contains chicken stock. All the corn products, from the homemade tortillas to the tortilla chips to the tamale coating contain lard. In the twenty first century there is no excuse for not offering lard free alternatives for those of us who do not eat meat.

Been to Mr Villa? Share your experiences!