“Perfect for work and play”

Chambered Nautilus Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #13 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Sammamish, Washington
“Perfect for work and play”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

All the staff were very friendly; the breakfasts were yummy and accomodating of our dietary requirements; excellent location near UW; walking distance to University Village; would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BLH164

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 30, 2012

May 28, 2012
Seattle is always nice and therefore the sorroundings and gardens of the Chambered Nautilus B&B Inn are. Joyce helped us to bring our luggage uphill. We read a couple of reviews before going therefore we knew it was uphill (lots of steps plus one flight to our bedroom) and that it was located in the U District. The surprise was the quality of the Chambered Rose room. It did not have a closet, there was a locked armour just for display. Another surprise was to hear after using the shower that the bathroom was built where the closets were before. It made sense because, although in good shape, each of us felt claustrophobic and secluded in a very small shower. You can have an old house with antiques but not old broken furniture, I tried to keep a night light in a drawer and I was surprised to have the piece of wood loose and hanging from my hand. The stairs are very noisy, we were awaken at 4:30 am when a guest was leaving and then at about 7:30 am. About the Internet service, it did not exist in our room. It was very slow and we could not use SKYPE to contact our relatives. The parking situation is a tossed up, first come first serve in a busy university district. We almost did not find any the night of Memorial Day which was a holiday, we are wondering how it might be in a regular day when classes are in full.
About breakfast, Joyce was nice to serve me good toasts instead of their breakfast. I am used to eat a couple of toasts with jam and drink tea. But I must say that she surprised the group we were having breakfast with.
We were engaged in nice conversations, and Joyce interrupted about 3 or 4 times telling us stories when she traveled to NY, etc. It was disruptive and not polite at all.
This was our first time in a B and B and we are wondering if all hosts do the same. People who has more experience can tell us.
The room was clean, no air conditioning, we were wondering how it would be a sticky day.
Our room was nicely staged but not practical, the decorative pillows had to be used to sleep because there were two flat pillows for both of us.
I think the house is nice and Joyce is nice, paying more attention to detail and listening not only to the positive reviews will make a wonderful place to stay. For us it is now a beautiful house to visit (the main area is beautiful) but not to sleep. It needs to update for people like us who have busy lives, are in our 60's and want to have a relaxing experience.

Room Tip: I think the name of the room is Chamber Rose, it is on the first flight of stairs and in the south e...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BuenosAiresGal
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife & I stayed here for 3 nights as part of our Wedding Anniversary vacation -- we love it. The house is beautiful & the room we stayed in, the Sunrise Chamber, is quite lovely. We are huge fans of the breakfasts as well. The staff & service are exceptional, for example: In the online reservation form they ask if there are any foods that you cannot eat, we noted that my wife does not eat beef or fish -- a staff member verified this with us at check-in w/o prompting. All of the staff members knew where we were from too. They actually pay attention to those things. It may not sound like much, but we've stayed at a lot of different places & none have ever showed that kind of attention before.
Just a note, we were a little concerned about parking at the inn as it is on a street shared with apartments & such, but we never encountered problems -- there was always a space available near the inn.
We highly recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtlion819
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Delightful B&B in quiet street in Seattle's University District. Minutes from the university museums and stadium and University Village. Close to Laurelhurst, Sands Point, Wallingford. Good restaurants nearby and not far from downtown or Seattle Center. Hosts very pleasant. Rooms charming. Breakfast delicious. Tea, coffee, cookies, fruit available other times. Follow their directions to get there or may have a hard time finding. We were able to have friends join us for breakfast for moderate cost. Only downside is lots of steps up fr the street and news to carry luggage up. Will go back.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Leslie682
Providence
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I spent three nights at The Chambered Nautilus Bed and Breakfast while on vacation in Seattle and had a very nice time. The house is beautiful, the rooms comfortable and the breakfasts delicious. Joyce is a warm and gracious host who has lots of helpful suggestions regarding touring the area, down to sitting with us and mapping out bus routes from the University district to downtown. Our bed was large and very comfortable and we also really appreciated the small fridge and microwave available for guests-finally we can bring home leftovers! I wouldn't say this is a luxury Bed and Breakfast but it is a lovely and relaxing place to stay....and is not priced as a luxury B and B might be. Definitely worth the money...you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We got a room with a bathroom just outside in the hall (this was known to us when we booked it)...if...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KRLProvidence
Louisville, KY
Reviewed April 24, 2012

On a recent visit to Seattle (to meet my new grandson), I stayed at the Chambered Nautilus for 6 nights. From start to finish it was a superior experience - the booking process, the attention to every detail (more about that to follow), cleanliness, welcoming atmosphere and highest quality service from Joyce (the owner) and all her staff. The details were not only "adjusting" or "accommodating" my request for vegan food, but going way above and beyond - special treats in my room and early breakfast on the day I left Seattle. The location was perfect first of all because of its proximity to my children, but even moreso because of how central it is to any attractions around the University of Washington, downtown Seattle and the surrounding areas. It is a homey place to return to after a day out. There is easy access whether you need parking (oh -- and they provide a residential parking tag so that you may park longer term) or bus service. The other guests were delightful as well - the inn just seemed to attract them and bring out the best. My son and I stayed in two rooms, both of which were impeccably clean and wonderfully comfortable. I travel to Seattle several times each year and will be staying here again for sure! A jewel and not to be missed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AH342
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I recently stayed at the Chambered Nautilus while I was visiting the University of Washington. This is a beautiful property, located in the midst of the University District and only a short drive to the downtown Seattle area. Joyce (the owner) and her staff were wonderful, during the booking process of our stay and while we were in Seattle. The property is absolutely gorgeous and the rooms are beautiful as well, with cozy, thoughtful touches like a bookshelf and a resident teddy bear. The living room constantly had a fire roaring and complimentary cookies, coffee, and tea available to the guests. However, perhaps the best part of our stay was the food! Every morning, Joyce prepares a gourmet breakfast for her guests. I still reminisce about her pumpkin yogurt pancakes and ham and cheese waffles. Yum! Overall, excellent bed & breakfast with every modern comfort. I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family