“A Quintessential Seattle Dining Experience”
Review of Sitka & Spruce

Sitka & Spruce
Reserve with OpenTable
Sitka & Spruce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #194 of 4,168 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Broadway / Capitol Hill
Vancouver, Canada
“A Quintessential Seattle Dining Experience”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Having researched Sitka & Spruce online, I knew I was in for a treat when the second I stepped into their Melrose Market location. Expect good ambience, a diverse wine list, locally sourced ingredients, and friendly, attentive service.

Thoroughly the Neah Bay Black Cod and associated sides. Loved the 'farm fresh' nature of this meal.

I will be back. Thanks Sitka & Spruce.

• Visited November 2012

“BRING ON THE MICHELIN”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Aesthetically, the building the restaurant is housed in is striking. The Melrose building is one of the coolest in city. A work of modern, rustic genius. As you walk through the bulding, you will see shop owners buying from each other, and patronizing their neighbors' businesses- it almost feels like a commune. S&S sports a beautiful counter eating area that literally puts the eater in the resteraunt's kitchen. Depending on which side of the counter you sit on, you are either eating next to the hot dish preparation, or the cold dish/decorating/seasoning/plate arranging chef. All of the ingredients are out on the counter, mise en place, for you to see. There is a window-side counter which used to have unobstructed views of downtown Seattle. Classic tables are also an option. Quiet music blocks out street noise and other partys' conversations.

As for the food, the menu at S&S completely embodies the spirit of Seattle. Every single dish encorperates different textures and flavors that make you smile as you eat. My favorite dish was actually one of the simplest: a croissant and shot of rich, sweet, hot chocolate. The pastry was perfectly flaky and warm, and half the size of my head. The hot chocolate shot was similarly amazing. My other favorite dish was a cube-shaped scone with butter and 3-berry compote. The crust on this pastery scrunchy and lightly dusted with sugar. The inside of the scone, though caky, melts in your mouth. The berry compote was also delicious. For the sake of your restaurant-research time, I will stop here, and tell you to look no further. This establishment is one of the best, with the nicest staff, most consisten/reliable food quality, and coolest but warmest atmosphere.

Because of my age, I can't speak to the bar/late-night quality of the restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
Lulea, Sweden
“Nice food and magnificient view”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We found our way to seats by the kitchen without reservations. Had a most delicious dinner with really good wine, proposed by the waiter. The wiev towards downtown Seattle was nice. A bit noisy but a very friendly and warm atmosphere. Our best dinner in Seattle.

• Visited September 2012
New York City, New York
“I expected more”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

After we arrived in Seattle as New York tourists, a friend told me this place was "amazing." So my partner (a chef) and I booked a reservation online one day in advance. The only time available was 945pm. That evening, at around 7pm, we were in the neighborhood, and thought we'd call to see if we could get an earlier table. They told us we could come by at 9pm. However, we decided to stop by at 830pm, and lo and behold, there were quite a number of empty seats. After we were seated, the distracted waiter presented us with the dessert menus and promptly left. We had to flag him down to get the proper menus. Throughout the night, it was difficult to get his attention, and between him and the two other people who served us, we didn't feel particularly welcome in the restaurant. Also, the place was freezing due to a large open window in the small space. Regarding the food, our peach and kale salad was excellent. However, the vegetable soup with poached egg, and our lamb and rabbit dishes, were pretty mediocre. We didn't bother staying for dessert.

• Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Delightful”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Being Monday I knew from the web that it was taco night. Bring it on. A small selection of tacos, emphasis on menu quality not quantity. I enjoyed cod and pork, with a guacamole starter. Yum. House selected beer and wine to accompany the choice. Fresh, tasty, and a delightful space in the Melrose Market building.