“Tasty, lively spot”

La Isla
Ranked #434 of 4,098 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Ballard
Vancouver, Canada
“Tasty, lively spot”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We went on the recommendation of a local - after considering more prosaic options - and all in all it was the best choice we could have made. The food is Caribbean (the island referenced is Puerto Rico) and as you'd expect plays with lime, mango, peppers. The three of us chose the chicken stew, the grilled salmon and the fried cat fish. All came with very tasty beans, rice and the fried plantains with dipping sauce. The fried plantains, I admit, are an acquired taste. The mains: grilled salmon & chicken stew were excellent - great sauces, fresh flavors. The fired cat fish was - uninspired. I'd give it a miss. Service was good, friendly, helpful. The room is lively - and loud when full (we had to wait 15 min for a table on a Saturday). Not somewhere I'd go on a first date - but great for friends, families, couples. Definitely a good value force food - generous portions of tasty food! Very clearly a neighborhood favorite for locals - I'll be back.

• Visited April 2014

“Delicious”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Food is delicious, great quality, super generous sizes, service was amazing - waitress was very knowledgable and helped us when we couldn't decide between dishes, atmosphere is friendly, upbeat music, mojitos to die for!

New Jersey
“Delicious Puerto Rican Food”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

That's it ......delicious food. I have been here twice and hope to go back again. The pork and chicken dishes taste authentic. Whether it's a sandwich with a side of sweet potato fries or a dinner with salad and plantains, I think you will enjoy the food. The service is friendly. Oh yes, I almost forgot.... The mojitos are really good too.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank travelingrm
Jaco, Costa Rica
“Amazing food”
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

La Isla is the type of place you'd normally skip on the street, but we were so happy we didn't. The food is amazing and tasty, beyond our expectations by far. We both recommend the Carne Frita and the Sliders for starters, but both our main courses were great too. Thumbs up!

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Scrumptious Puerto Rican Food and Best Mojitos Ever!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was my second visit to La Isla, and I was interested to find out if my desire to return was due to my excitement over my first trip to Seattle or if it was truly as good as I remembered. I was quickly reminded why this is one of my favorite Seattle restaurants--excellent service, reasonable prices, the best Mojito ever! I have tried Mojitos at numerous bars and restaurants, and none comes close to the deliciousness of those at La Isla. It was fun to sit on the patio outside and relax with a Mojito while people watching. I was sorry to be the designated driver; I knew I would be driving in about 4 hours, so I could only have one Mojito. We shared the Gandules Dip with Tostone Cups. Seriously, these are so tasty that I could make a whole meal out of them. But I didn't want to miss out on trying other Puerto Rican flavors. I had the Pionono; it is a Puerto Rican lasagne made with plantains instead of pasta. It was delicious, filled with delightful flavors, and more than filling! I am still thinking about how good it was! the people I was with had Chuletas and Pernil Divino, and both thought theirs was the best of the three meals. I will definitely return here and give this restaurant my highest recommendation.

• Visited August 2013