“Cactus has bcome kind of prickly”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cactus Restaurant

Cactus Restaurant
Ranked #103 of 4,080 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: West Seattle
Kitimat, Canada
“Cactus has bcome kind of prickly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Three of us were in for dinner. I like a good martini. Our wait staff really didn`t know her stuff and rather than going to ask if they could make a chocolate martini, just stood and guessed...òh,I am sure they can`. No..they can`t..they don`t stock chocolate vodka, instead using Frangelica. The martini`s we did have were very good tho.

Dinner was fab..I had a New Mexican Green Chili Sopa....man oh man, that was good. My Sonoran Spa Chicken was great too and I was too far gone for dessert!

Go early and sit on the bar side..less of a wait and more of view for people watching.

• Visited March 2013

• Serbian first
Commerce Township, Michigan
“Alki Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Try all the apps. Love this place the pork they make is smoked in banana leaves. Great bar great drinks.

Visited October 2012
Kenmore, Washington
“Best Dining Experience I've Had In Awhile!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband took me to dinner here on a Saturday night. We drove on Alki looking for a spot to eat dinner. This place was packed so we chose here. We chose exactly right! We had to wait 1/2 hour and I don't normally like waiting to eat but we were so glad we did. Once we got seated we were treated so well. The manager came to our table and talked to us. He even got me a gluten free menu as I have food allergies. He made a suggestion for me from what I told him and it was perfect and quite an excellent dish. Our waiter, Luis was the best waiter I have ever experienced! My husband ask him for a recommendation of his favorite dishes and my husband picked one and he loved it! The food and the customer service here is top notch. I lived in Texas for 15 years and this was the best Mexican food I've had since then. Great place! We highly recommend it! We loved it!

• Visited January 2013
Seattle
“This is not Mexican, it's Heaven in the Southwest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

When Cactus opened on Alki, the clouds opened up and the sun shined down. The patio warmed up with the gas firepit supplemented by gas heaters. The bar was filled with beautiful people from 21-81, and the restaurant was absolutely packed. Years later, it still is, and for good reason.

One can go meatless at Cactus and never notice. One can even eat spa-type food (BORE-ing anywhere else) and not feel deprived. One can try things you have only read about in Bon Appetit, Gourmet or Martha Stewart, and not feel like you need to check your grunge-wear at the door.

Navaho fry bread! Butternut squash enchiladas! Annatto beans, fry bread, cheese, lettuce, guacamole and pico de gallo stack up on an addictive Navaho Torta. The chimichanga (a completely American invention of the 80s) is offered in numerous proteins -- most of which are fantastic.

Go and be adventurous. Don't be dull and order the nachos. Not that there is anything wrong with them, they are just so pedestrian compared with most everything else.

The only thing that has ever disappointed were the ribs, which the server talked up as "out of this world, and spicy?". She must have been comparing them to Tony Roma's or Famous Dave's or some other bland Americana chain. The ribs, in other words, were not spicy, were not that big, and were definately nothing to consider ordering.

But.You.Must.Order.DESSERT. The Cowgirl Brownie. I don't care how full you are. You have to get this. Every single element of this dessert could be sold on it's own -- the brownie, the vanilla-bean-flecked ice cream (from Olympic Mountain), a peanut butter sauce, and a spicy chipotle brittle. As George Takei would say, "Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyy".

What I really like about Cactus, besides the patio, the roll-up-in-summer garage-doors, the firepits, the clean restrooms... is the fact that the proprietor actually put more than 3 minutes of thought into non-alcoholic options. Rare indeed. An addict of the Mexican lemonade, I'll skip the 12-step program and simply acquiece.

• Visited October 2012
Bellingham, Washington
“Strong margaritas, super nachos!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We went to this location of the Seattle local chain after eating at the Madison Park location a few months ago. This location is far nicer for its sheer size (big), its location across from Alki waterfront, and its fire pit at hostess station. Service was friendly and helpful in selecting drinks, which were EXCELLENT margaritas. I recommend the top shelf/upmarket margarita that comes in the martini glass. One, even with food, is enough to let you know you've imbibed some high proof stuff. Seriously good. Nachos are hands-down the BEST I've ever had in a Mexican restaurant, and I'm a bit of a nacho snob. Steak cooked to perfection, blend of real cheeses, served with healthy portions of toppings in a deep dish pan straight from the fire. Warm corn tortillas are also ranked as the BEST I've ever had. I normally don't eat them for the carbohydrates but these were insanely fresh and too delicious too pass up. DO GO!

• Visited December 2012