“Great find”

and 1 more site!
Bed and Breakfast Inn Seattle
Ranked #14 of 26 Seattle B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2007

The guesthouse is in a great location with access to public transortation to all parts of Seattle yet in a friendly residential neighborhood. There is a mix of short and long term guests - interesting people from all over the world and from all walks of life. I have been here for several months while in a graduate program in Seattle. This a great place for those who like to take responsibility for themselves, cook their own meals and explore the many restaurants and shops within walking distance. Guests are free to keep to themselves or hang out in the common areas and trade travel and life stories. For me the house has been a home away from home and a place where I have had the opportunity to cross paths with many wonderful people, some who have become close friends.

The manager, Michael and Owner, Shannon, have been helpful and great hosts while respecting guest's privacy. If you want to be waited on and pampered you may not enjoy this house but if you want a place that feels like home and are willing to pitch in to clean up your own mess in the kitchen, come to the best place in Seattle to see Seattle.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank George59

Reviewed November 16, 2007

As a result of an unexpected health issue my husband and I needed a convenient and comfortable location to spend approximately a month in Seattle. We had heard about the Capitol Hill Guest House, and rather than stay in a hotel, we contacted the owner to check on availability. We decided that the guest house would be a perfect place to stay given it's close proximity to Swedish Hospital, shopping and restaurants, access to downtown Seattle, and the warm and inviting atmosphere created by the owner and resident manager. We found that we quickly developed friendships with other guests and had the facilities to either prepare meals or have meals delivered.

Originally, we were uncertain what to expect having never stayed in a Guest House before. The accommodations were great and immaculately kept. The house has a warm, elegant and inviting atmosphere, much more like coming home to a group of friends or family. The resident manager inquired about our day each evening when we returned, and was only too willing to do whatever was necessary to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable. There is an on-site laundry room and lovely kitchen in which to prepare meals or catch up with the other residents (guests) on their day ; many of whom have had long-term stays many times over a number of years.

We found the cost to be extremely reasonable and the value high. We would most definitely recommend the Guest House to anyone looking to stay in the Seattle area. We will use it in the future for all of visits.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank sandih47
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I spent two weeks at the Capitol Hill Guest House. I was visiting my girlfriend who was temporarilly working in the Seattle area.

The way I was treated at the B&B was not as a paying guest, but as a nuisance. In the mornings the guess house manager never said hello, but instead ignored me while taking up the whole kitchen table with his newspaper while wearing nothing but a bathrobe. On more than one occasion I was also scoffed at by the manager while watching TV and outright yelled at in the kitchen for the way I was cooking. When I brought up my concerns with the owner, rather than apologize she BLAMED me for the manager's attitude saying that I had been rude to him and was not following the guesthouse's rules, which I had been.

Breakfast was not much better than the service and consisted mostly of stale muffins, orange juice, milk, and prepackaged bagels.

While the upstairs of the house was nice, the downstairs is so short that I felt as though I was going to hit something with my head (and did on more than one occasion) and I am only 6'2''. As you can see in the picture, the ceiling is in fact not 7 feet tall as claimed by the managment.

I would recommend that guests stay far away from this place unless they feel like being belittled throughout their stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank TaylorBA
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I spent a weekend at the Capitol Hill Guest House and I've lived to tell about it.

This guest house is a handsome three-story building on Denny Way and it has a large parking lot in the back accessed by an alley. On the inside, it looks as if the inspiration for its décor came from Home Depot brochures. Everything is clean, relatively new, sterile and spotless. This is the most anal retentive place I have ever stayed in. If you go to the guest house web site you will find a long page of policies and rules. There are three wifi routers in the place, but you need to acquire a 26-character WEP code to log onto one of them (and they don't tell you this code when you check in). You have to take your shoes off when inside the house. I can understand this in Seattle's mucky weather, but you'd think they would supply a stool for you to sit on while removing or putting on one's shoes.

Individually wrapped bagels in the morning and little packets of cream cheese. I'm sure lots of travelers think this kind of hypersanitation is the greatest idea ever, but it seems like overkill. It also seems that everything is set up so that the staff and owners don't have to be around, since they aren't. In fact, once we had rented our room, we had no idea how to find the person in charge (who never introduced himself), so we called the guest house on our cell phone once when we needed the WEP code and once when we locked ourselves out of the room. In both cases, (which occurred during normal business hours), he did not appear happy to see us.

Still, it would be possible to enjoy your stay here, particularly at a price of $75 to $100 per night, if you are under 5'10” tall. The guest house policy is to put short term guests (less than a few weeks) in the basement. I don't know what the building codes are for Seattle, but in Portland, the ceiling height for most of the basement would be a violation at less than 6'6”. That's not the worst, however. Right inside the door to our room was the major support beam for the house that runs through the basements of houses like this, front to back. I whacked my head on it as I was moving my luggage into the room. Typically when you are carrying or pulling luggage into a room, you are looking down. You do not expect a beam approximately 5'9” above the floor to be there, a few inches inside the door (which opens outward). I'm 6'3” and almost 60. I get up a couple of times a night to go to the bathroom (which is down the hall). So half asleep, I whacked my head again a couple of times. I have about four or five bumps on my head from that beam. I'm lucky I didn't give myself a lobotomy. It appeared that at least three other rooms would also be crossed by that beam.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Halcyon-Day
InnSeattleGal, Owner at Bed and Breakfast Inn Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2007

We appreciate all reviews positive or negative as they help us stay informed on what we can do to improve our service or if we should continue doing something our guests think is great.

We do mind if information is posted about our establishment that is inaccurate and therefore gives prospective guests information that would steer them elsewhere. I'd like to comment on the following complaints:

1. Short term guests in basement rooms: All short term accommodations are offered on the upper floors of our home, which offer views of Mt. Rainier, Lake Washington and the Cascade Mountain range. If all of our upper floor rooms are full during our busy summer months we will, with exception, offer one of our lower floor rooms, which are usually, rented long term (30 days or more). We do inform prospective guests that the room is located on the lower floor of the home and is normally rented for a discounted amount to long-term guests. The nightly rate is half off the price of the upper floor rooms and hence a great value for a savvy traveler.

2. Ceiling height: In a 1902 home the basement ceiling height requirements are 7', which we meet. We are within the city's code requirements as a legal non-conforming use and in no way are violating the city's code. The beam is also a legal non-conforming height and meets regulations.

3. WEP pass code: 99% of our guest's computers are able to search for our free wireless signal and log onto the system using our two-word password provided on our welcome letter left in the rooms. On occasion, a guest's computer does not allow them to access our wireless signal without the WEP pass code and we are happy to provide guests with the 26 digits and offer any assistance necessary to get their computers online.

4. Owners/Innkeeper's on site: Normal business hours for an Inn are 24/7. We carry cell phones wherever we are, in the house, on supply runs, and to the shower! We are always on stand-by 24 hours a day. This phone number information is also provided in the welcome letter left in the rooms. What we do NOT do is lounge around in the common areas of the house during "normal business hours" just waiting for something to do. We keep very busy cleaning our 16 rooms and 6 bathrooms in the home!

5. Greeted Check-ins: Here at the Guest House we try to be as accommodating as possible including allowing a self check-in if you insist on arriving before our standard check-in time of 4pm or later. A key is left in our drop box with simple instructions on how to find your room. Later when we return, and if you have not already stepped out, we are happy to greet you, show you around the house and answer any questions you may have.

Urban Inn/ Guest House vs. Bed & Breakfast...

We are NOT a romantic getaway, honeymoon hideaway, or a pampering B&B catering to the "impossible to please" type guest. We are also NOT a stuffy B&B with an expectation that all of our guests should give us their life story over tea and biscuits. We respect your time and know why you are here... to see this beautiful city!

What we are is an Urban Inn/ Guesthouse offering accommodations to business travelers, tourists, students and those in between housing.

We provide to the savvy traveler a central location and impeccably clean rooms with elegant yet casual furnishings. Our prices of $75-$150/nt offer a significant value in comparison to hotels or traditional B&B's in our area. We may not be for everyone but there must be a reason we are always full and have many of our guests return again and again. We invite you to find out for yourself!