“The lamb & rice soup was divine. The spinach salad with oranges, almonds & crystallized ginger was refreshing and...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kallaloo - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kallaloo
Cuisines: Caribbean
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

The lamb & rice soup was divine. The spinach salad with oranges, almonds & crystallized ginger was refreshing and reasonably generous. The crabcakes were expertly cooked, but the crab (if that's what it was) was mushy. My companions loved their curried crab and bread pudding. Service was slow, but it's because there's only the owner and one person in the kitchen. I would try this place again. I would give it a 3.5

“Take your money next door to Verve. The food here is just terrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

Take your money next door to Verve. The food here is just terrible.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I ordered the creole fish. Was alright. Nice environment.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

I ordered the creole fish. Was alright. Nice environment.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
WA, PV
“I was impressed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2007

First time to visit for LUNCH on a Friday was EXCELLENT!

I had the 'island salad' which consisted of shredded papaya, three very nicely grilled citrus marinated prawns, roasted peppers with curry vinaigrette (NO lettuce). A very good friend who was visiting from Ecuador, (a STRICT vegetarian) had the Black Beans & Rice with Sofrito and House Salad that included Field greens, mango, jicama and red onion with hibiscus vinaigrette. My wonderful husband had the T & T Roti Curried potato wrapped in Trinidad-style flat bread with Channa (smashed garbanzo beans) & Pumpkin. All of us complimented Gail on the wonderful flavors in our all dishes, how yummy everything was and meant it!

Gail Williams (I intro'd myself just before leaving) was our waiter. She was pleasant (not overly smiley and extremely friendly...but definitely pleasant) and answered ALL of our questions AND we did have a few! Asked if we needed anything else at appropriate times, and made sure our water, coffee, and hot water cups were always filled! A PLUS in my mind and constant attention to detail in my 'book'!

The restaurant is very spacious, bright and uplifting. Timing of our food seemed very reasonable and maybe because there was just one other customer (appears from the other two reviews that 'time' in general for all services was bad. However, I have to admit having extended family owning one of the most successful restaurants in PV, it is definitely NOT easy to deal with 30 customers at one table for a variety of reasons, much less cook for them all and meet ALL their demands! We try, but it can be difficult and we have over 30+ staff working nightly). Plus we were too busy 'catching up' with our friend.

I do have to say this however...we got there just after 11:30a and literally left just before 1pm. In my estimation, PERFECT! I'm sure if we only had 1 hour for lunch, we could have talked less, concentrated more on our food and not order dessert. So in our experience, everything went very well! AND VERY reasonable too!

Lastly, though we were nicely full, we all decided to split a fresh pineapple cheesecake which was scrumptious!

For those of you who are thinking about trying this restaurant, please DO. If you are vegetarian, know there are plenty of choices for you. I know that WE will be back very soon!

Since they did not have a 'to go' menu, I picked up a business card. Here is there website www.kallalooseattle.com

ENJOY!!!! We surely did!

Seattle, WA
“Worst Restaurant - Kallaloo”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2007

***I wished I had read this other review BEFORE I went as they were SO NOT lying***

I am usually excited to write reviews so I can spread the word about great spots. However, last night I had BY FAR the worst experience ever at Kallaloo. The owner lacks empathy and accountability. If at all possible, she will place blame on the customer. Scenario: 30 people for a birthday party. On our end, we did not have everyone's order for a pre-order despite our best attempts. However, this restaurant ONLY had one cook to serve our party AND regular patrons (which was less than 10). Our party was ONLY assigned one waitress, who was doing her best. However, the table lacked enough settings, some people never got anything to drink. We got there at 7 p.m., but I had to ask them to come start taking our orders around 7:30 p.m. I then had to ask them to take the orders of the other two tables, which they didn't do until 8:15 p.m. Our table finally got served and we were done eating when the second table finally got served. The third table was left out to dry. One person had to return her drink 2-3 times because each time she had a fly in her drink (no I am NOT kidding). One person had to go back and get his own drink because the glass was dirty. I brought in a birthday cake ($17), yet the owner wanted to charge me a $1 per plate to serve ($30 total). Perhaps this is standard, I have no clue. But, when I said I would run out (since at this point we didn't have our food), and purchase some plates, she refused and still wanted to charge. In the end, we decided to not serve the cake since the plates cost more than the cake itself. Furthermore, for all the trouble, the food was average. Even as our party tried to order appetizers to quell their hunger, we were told they were out of chicken and halibut. For a restaurant that WOULD have only had 10 people, they lacked preparation. I cannot speak for other occasions, but this is by far the worst place to go when you have a party. Despite the lack of pre-orders, the restaurant was ill-prepared. In the end, none of the tables ate at the same time and many people canceled their orders. TERRIBLE!!!

2 Thank Sweets4dasweet