“Affordable Luxury! We love the Inn at El Gaucho!”
Review of Inn at El Gaucho

Inn at El Gaucho
Ranked #19 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 31, 2006

The Inn at El Gaucho was everything the reviewers here promised: clean, safe, luxurious, and affordable. We were greeted by a friendly valet and directed upstairs, where we met an equally friendly receptionist. We were too early to check in, so she arranged for the bellman to take our luggage and park our car. We decided to walk down to Pike's Place Market for lunch and were pleased to find that it was only a 10-15 minute walk (though be warned--there is at least one hill to contend with!). After lunch, we returned to get our key and were escorted to our room, where we found our bags and a lovely gift bag with water, two large chocolate chip cookies, and a CD of music.

Our room was spacious and had a large, soft leather loveseat, chair, and ottomon, and the bed linens were incredibly soft. The ceilings were high with a celing fan as well as AC. The only small downsides to the room were a lack of windows (we were in one of the interior rooms with one window facing the tiny atrium) and the fact that the AC was sometimes a bit noisy. However, the Bose radio and the wall-mounted plasma widescreen TV were pleasant surprises.

We love boutique hotels for their attention to each individual, and we weren't disappointed. This inn only has 19 rooms, and the staff treats everyone as an honored guest. Want coffee? Call the front desk, and chilled cream is brought to you. Want a massage? That can be arranged. The only downside to this luxury is that room service comes from the critically acclaimed El Gaucho Restaurant...which was much too pricey for our budget. Luckily, there are dozens of great restuarants, cafes, and coffee shops within walking distance, so this issue never became a problem for us.

I highly recommend this inn--it was by far the most affordable of the deluxe downtown hotels, and we really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank Kristin T

Reviewed July 22, 2006

I was searching online for a place to stay prior to our cruise.
I came across the Inn at El Gaucho. We only stayed one night, but it turned out to be great. A room upgrade awaited us after a long plane flight. The evening lights across Puget Sound were beautiful.

Attention to detail - fresh flowers, beautiful bed linens, comfy robe, etc.

Our dinner at El Gaucho Restaurant was excellent.

Conveniently located to Pike Street Market, waterfront, great shopping and restaurants.

Definitely a little "gem" in a sea of hotel chains.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Hutzpoffer
Reviewed July 21, 2006

We stayed here for 4 nights total and had a great experience. The Inn was very clean, service was friendly and I would definitely reccomend this location and stay there again. This was a value! I only wish they offered King size beds and had a vending machine for cold drinks. That is the only thing I would change. This is in very close walking distance to all attractions!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lmcdaniel
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I travel quite a bit for my work and was excited about visiting a new small boutique hotel. Especially after seeing the reviews on this site. I returned late last night and felt the urgent need to add my review as soon as possible as I was horrified by my experience and think people should know about it - especially in a city with so many other cute hotel options.

We arrived at around 3PM on a Monday after driving around the block a few times as the hotel was almost completely inconspicuous. After finally finding the hotel and having to track down the valet we parked and made our way in. The valet asked if we wanted help with our luggage, which we declined since, we had very little luggage since we were only there for two nights. Quickly once we entered we realized there are two flights of stairs you have to climb in order to reach the reception/rooms (Not handicap accessible by any means). The valet came in and sniped at my associate and me “now that you see the stairs do you still not want any help with your luggage”. We thought it was a bit harsh but blew it off. We made our way to reception where we were greeted by the worst front desk manager ever! I had made the reservation over the phone and was quoted $180 for a Puget Sound View Junior Suite. When we checked in we were told the rate would be $235 and that they would not honor the previously quoted rate, even though we had our confirmation numbers. After about 20 minutes of arguing and her telling us that the entire city was sold out and that she would be happy to call some places and see about a reservation elsewhere and found that we could stay at the Westin for $259 (which has a gym, business center, 24 hr room service and mini bar – none of which El Gaucho has), she finally agreed to honor the rate we had been previously quoted. Not off to a great start and things continued to go wrong. This is a strange set up; it’s basically an 18 room Inn that has been built on the reputation of the steakhouse (El Gaucho, you might have presumed) below. It is a dark place with horrible lighting and gross orange and brown carpeting and orange walls. We could never find a valet to pick up or drop off our car. They said they were affiliated with a gym ($12/day to use) but they weren’t really sure where it was and when we went looking for it, we could not locate it at all (it’s more than 6 blocks away). On the last night I was there the toilet overflowed and there as no one the least bit capable of fixing it or even calling someone that could. I was asked on a number of occasions that night and in the morning what I had done to make this happen. The night manager told me that I would be given an additional discount for the inconvenience, as I had to switch rooms to the street side of the hotel. I then (in my pajamas) had to carry all of my stuff from one side of the hotel to the other at 11PM at night. In the morning when I checked out the same horrible front desk lady was there and actually managed to apologize about the toilet but then asked again what I had done to make it happen. When I mentioned that I had been told about the additional discount she questioned me about it and huffed at me and finally discounted it $20.00.

For a hotel of this size which needs to be service oriented, this was a horrible dissapointment.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
20  Thank beckster72
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I booked a stay here as a surprise trip for my boyfriend's 30th birthday, and the hotel staff went above and beyond helping me plan everything. They arranged for private car service to and from the airport, the room was decorated with rose petals when we arrived, and the staff had selected a nice bottle of Mark Ryan Wild Eyed Washington Syrah for us. They also helped us schedule an in-room massage. Everything about the stay was wonderful -- I can't say enough about the service here. The hotel was quiet, the room was huge and luxurious (flat-panel TV with a bazillion channels, 300-thread count sheets, bath products from L'Occitane, the softest robes ever, even an umbrella for the Seattle weather, Riedel stemware for the wine -- and I'm a wine fanatic, so I was very happy about this). And the decor isn't cheesy, frou-frou bed-and-breakfast/grandma's attic stuff -- it's actually very chic -- leather furniture, paint in warm orange tones, etc. I loved it. And the location was great. We didn't have a rental car, so we just walked everywhere -- the hotel is really close to Pike Place Market, the Space Needle/Seattle Center/Experience Music Project, and Pioneer Square. And there are so many restaurants within walking distance (we love Restaurant Zoe and Lola). The nightlife is a little cheesy and touristy, but there are bars in the area. Overall, I highly, highly recommend the Inn at El Gaucho. This is a fantastic hotel. Clean, luxurious, great service, convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank unicornn
Reviewed June 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at El Guacho from June 21-23, after staying at the Hyatt days before on business, I wanted a hotel in a different part of the city and one that was not part of a chain. Come to find out the Inn is under the same ownership as the Hyatt. Anyway, the room was clean and it really had a cozy home feel. My husband didn't care of the overwhelming smell of food in the lobby, which was to be expected because it's above a steakhouse. However we couldn't smell it in the room. Also you could hear the band downstairs in the Pampas Room every night till 2 or so, if you're sensitive to that, but it didn't bother us too much. Upon check in the woman at the front desk forgot to mention that for $10 we could get a continental breakfast in our room (you have to arrange this the day before), so when morning came and we were looking for food, we were directed to a local bakery (Macrina) which was great and much cheaper.

Loved the gift bag, the staff was fabulous, the robes were soft, the bed was comfortable, enjoyed the flat screen TV that you could move to watch in the sitting area or in bed!

Belltown is a fabulous area. Great restaurants, nightlife, boutiques, and at the Inn you're just a few blocks down from the Free Bus Ride area, but we did a lot of walking.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Inn at El Guacho!

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Honeymooner04
Reviewed June 19, 2006

Stayed there over a long weekend and I agree the service was friendly and attentive. Hotel is in a great location in Belltown, and it is located near many interesting shops and restuarants. I would give this place another try, but there were some things that could use improvement.
To their credit, the staff tried to remedy my biggest complaint which was a very loud air condtioner that hissed, started, stopped, etc, every 2 to 3 minutes. When it was quickly obvious that their own maintenance staff could not fix it, they immediately called a professional who came out on that same Saturday to fix it...he kind of fixed of it, but even admitted that it was not completely right. For just under $200 bucks a night, the AC should work. Period. In addition, the toilet paper holder was falling off the wall and the remote (batteries?) died. Not all bath products were replaced and ran out of soap.
Stairs are a pain to navigate, especially since you have run in and out as their no vending machines or gift shop to purchase water, snacks, etc located on the property.
That's the rant.

Here's the rave. Again -great location. Cool room, very different than most hotels. Nice furniture, ceiling fan (on a remote), Bose, Plasma, free wireless and nice gift bag when you arrive. Extra reading material in room (great cookbook, other Seattle information) is a nice touch as well. Extremely friendly staff.

All in all, a nice stay - maybe just got a "bum" room, and would try again.

• Stayed: June 2006