“Not a lot of service, but a really nice room” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn at El Gaucho

Inn at El Gaucho
Ranked #37 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not a lot of service, but a really nice room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

We stayed at the Inn at El Gaucho for 4 nights recently. The location is great for restaurants, Pike Place Market, the Seattle Art Museum, the Olympic Sculpture Park, and other attractions. We didn't have a car and were able to walk almost everywhere we wanted to go.

We actually stayed in 2 different rooms because we came for 3 nights then went away for a side trip and came back for 1 night. One was on the interior and thus was a little dark (it overlooked a small courtyard) but very quiet. The other was on a corner overlooking 1st & Wall and there was tons of natural light, which was nice, but there was a lot of street noise. I live in New York and am used to street noise but I couldn't have slept with the windows open.

The best thing about both rooms was the beds. I honestly think those were the 2 most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. We didn't ever want to get out! There was also a nice little office space in each room where you can set up a laptop. Internet access is free with a username and password provided by the desk.

The bathrooms were quite small and left a lot to be desired. We requested a tub and had one in each room. This is not a tub for a luxurious long soak, but it's clean and you can take a bath. There is no counter-space--a pedestal sink. While overall the bathroom was clean the floor was very dingy and dirty in both rooms. White tiles seem to have been a bad choice.

If you need much in terms of service (concierge, valet, bellman), you won't get it at the Inn at El Gaucho. The front desk staff, while pleasant, seemed a little clueless, with the exception of one gentleman who worked evenings during our stay. He was friendly and really helpful and knew his job.

On the other hand, you aren't paying for this. With rates of about $175-185 this was the best value for a good hotel that I could find in Belltown/Downtown, and the room is more than adequate. That bed alone is worth the price. We both agreed we would stay there again.

• Liked — Location, Bed
  • Disliked — Small bathroom and dingy floor
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TripsPlease

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

Thank you Trip Advisor for leading us to the Inn at El Gaucho! My husband was in Seattle on business and since I was tagging along on this trip, we wanted to stay somewhere more interesting than a typical chain hotel and we were certainly not disappointed. Our room was fabulous! The bed was super comfortable, we loved having a sitting area and my husband appreciated the work space complete with free wireless. I am not a big beef eater, so we skipped the restaurant, although it smelled wonderful and it the atmosphere seemed very inviting. We did however take advantage of the very hip movie theater/bar in the basement of the hotel. The bartenders were very friendly and we loved that they would run cocktail refills to us during the show! The other great thing about this hotel, was the location. If we had been staying further in the downtown area, we would have missed out on all of the great restaurants and shops on 1st Ave. Many of the main tourist attractions are within easy walking distance, like Pike St Market, the downtown shopping district, the Space Needle, Argosy cruises, Pioneer Square etc...and as an added bonus, the Olympic Sculpture Garden is just a few blocks away and is the start of a beautiful waterfront trail for cycling or jogging in the mornings. The only negatives that I can come up with would be the stairs leading into the Inn as mentioned in many other reviews and the somewhat confusing air conditioner. However, the stairs really are not that big a deal if you are prepared for them and the man at the front desk gave me a quick "air conditoner tutorial" that solved that mystery. All in all, it was a fabulous stay and I would highly recommend the Inn at El Gaucho! Cheers!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank alliebaz
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

I was in town last week for business and had trouble finding a room due to a MSFT conference. I had already booked dinner at El Gaucho Steakhouse (some say the best steak in the country) and noticed they had 18 rooms upstairs. Great find! 3 years old, all suite hotel with 18 rooms and free breakfast and wi-fi, not to mention bottle of water cookie and CD. Plasma screen, Bose CD player and a comfy bed are a few of amenities along with friendly service and leather couches. I did notice their pricing varied from their site and Expedia (much less expensive) so I called reservations direct and they offered an even better rate. Good to note a great wine store and Kinko’s are a block away as well as Pikes Place Market and the waterfront.

• Liked — Location, leather couches, beds, restaurant
  • Disliked — some street noise in the AM, walking up flight of stairs to check in.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Matt F
Edmonds, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

I spent a night at the Inn while in Seattle for an interview. After a long travel day and a long interview, I was welcomed at the curb outside of the Inn and restaurant by the valet, who surprised me by welcoming me by my first name. Talk about personal service!

The front desk staffperson (Teresa) was equally welcoming and warm. She personally took me to my room, which was beautiful, luxurious, comfortable, and just the right size for me. Complimentary robes of the softest cotton, fabulous linens and towels, plasma tv, complimentary CD of jazz (the steakhouse has a jazz piano player most nights), a view of the Sound, ceiling fan, plump pillows, and room service from the steakhouse all made it a perfect way to relax after the long day.

The decor of my room felt like New Mexico crossed with the '50s, "retro swank" is a good way to put it! On the walls were a black and white photograph of Frank Sinatra ("The Classic Age of Jazz" by Gottlieb, famous photo) and a photo of Audrey Hepburn as "Sabrina." Classy!

I booked the Inn through an expedia package and chose it because of its proximity to my interview and because it looked like a place where a woman traveling alone would feel safe. I like being known by the staff. Really a great choice. I will be back.
The only negative was a car alarm going off early in the a.m., but that is not the fault of the inn!

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank Brinampls
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2008

My wife & I stayed 1 night for Valnentines. We do a diferent hotel in the Seattle area each year for the past 11 years. Of all he hotels over the years this was at the bottem of the list. No elevators,had to walk up a flight of stairs to reach registration. Staff were very nice, room was O.K. the colours of Orange & red were not my wife's fav. There was a noisy heating unit that ran most of the night by the room window. When I went out the next morning for the contental breakfast there were 3 pastries left, no butter, out of cream & coffee. the staff did get these corrected. for $325 for te night + $25 parking there are at least 10 other options we know of that provide much better value. On the positive side the bed was very comfortable, we had a suite which we reserved & this was roomy ( Not as roomy as most other hotel suites we have experienced.) the bathroom was small but well decorated. the gowns provided were very comfortable.

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank F27
Midwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2008

Going into this trip, I knew the inn was located over a steak house, but I didn't fully realize the implication that my room would smell like grilled meat.

I agree with all of the wonderful reviews written here. Incredible location, great interior design, comfortable beds, staff that was pretty friendly. All of these things were good but the overwhelming smell of steak that permeated our room in the evening overshadowed the positive aspects for me.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — meaty smell
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bellingham, Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2008

My wife, Judy, and I recently stayed in Seattle and Portland, and had a wonderful trip. We chose to stay at the inn at el gaucho, at the recommendation of a friend, and I have to say that it was a good choice. We were right downtown in Belltown, but felt that we were staying with friends. The staff was friendly, always there, and we felt safe and welcomed. Our room was a jr suite, with a view of the bay. The bed was comfy, amenities were great, and espresso at Macrina was just a one block walk in the morning. All in all, a most restful and enjoyable stay.

• Liked — location, intimacy
  • Disliked — some street noise
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple