Inn at El Gaucho
Ace Hotel(Seattle)
Kings Inn(Seattle)
Warwick Seattle(Seattle)
  • Pool
All reviewsno elevatortwo flights of stairscomplimentary winebose sound systemwall streethandwritten notespace needlea small boutique hotelhappy hourfresh baked cookiesrestaurant downstairssitting areajunior suitepike place marketvictoria clipperour room was spaciouswithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Location is walking distance to Pikes Market, the Needle and just a couple of blocks from the Dock where the boat for Victoria left - early. The Manager and staff were very helpful before we arrived on the phone and during our stay. Complimentary brewed coffee & cookies were an added plus. Our room was a nice size, bed comfortable, bathroom adequate and clean. We did get some noise at night from the bars in the area on Saturday night but not horrible. It was a trade off from having a slight ocean view and being on the street side. There is no elevator but the one flight of stairs to get to the hotel is no big deal.
Yes, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I found the staff were not all there - there was no one at the reception desk upon arrival. The room was very dusty and the bathroom was a joke- really a corner standup shower in a hotel? It is loud at night as this area is comprised of cafes and bars.
The location is the only thing good about this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raydolittle
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My wife and I were looking to stay in Belltown so that we'd be walking distance from our daughter - and ended up at the Inn for 4 nights.
First: know that all of the rooms are on the second floor of the two-story building. You can request rooms with a view or interior rooms opening to the small courtyard. As there are only 17 rooms to choose from, I'd recommend discussing your options when you call to make reservations. My daughter suggested an interior room to avoid street noise and indeed, the room was silent.
The door to the hotel stairs is almost unmarked - which gives you the sense that you're staying at a "secret" location. There is a large flight of stairs to get up to the common area and registration. The room we had was the size of a standard studio apartment, and decorated in what the hotel termed "50s retro" which apparently matches the restaurant below - however we never entered the restaurant so I can't weigh in on that. The room had brown and orange tones - my wife didn't like the color scheme - but was otherwise comfortable. The bed was too soft unfortunately -
In the end, it was a great location for us (easy walk to Pike's market, Seattle Center, Belltown attractions/shopping) but is expensive for what you get. As an alternative to a large chain, it works nicely. There are only one or two people working at any given time so there is more of a sense of personal attention and I suppose the expense is in part to fund that "premium" service. After doing a lot of exploration in Belltown, this is probably the best hotel in that area. It was VERY quiet for an urban spot and located very close to a number of excellent restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Hi Everyone, I hate writing bad reviews! But I have to share our experience at El Goucho. Imagine this, I am 6 months pregnant and thinking this may be one of the last shopping trips to the states from Vancouver, BC for awhile. We thought we would get all the baby clothes we needed for our soon to be arriving daughter. The sales were great! I highly recommend shopping in the US for kiddie clothes!

My partner (who prefers the title husband :)), was driving and I was navigating. I was like 'oh no, this may be an adventure' when I first saw El Gaucho. It doesn't quite look like a hotel. We pulled up, no one was around to valet our car or greet us. That meant no help with our bags too. And no elevator! So a rather steep flight of stairs (not particularly great for pregnant bodies)!

My partner made the several trips up and down. We got upstairs to a dimly lit reception area. The actual reception desk was off to the side so again could not see anyone but heard someone having a full on phone conversation about her previous evening and things like 'I can't believe what he said...' etc. Not the best welcome. Finally upstairs, we waited for her to notice us but didn't so we started talking to each other, she clued in and got off the phone. No apology. I asked if someone could valet our car. 'the person who does that doesn't start work until 6 pm so you have to do it on your own'. No apology. We got into our dimly lit room by way of a very dimly lit hallway. It was 4 pm and it felt like it was in the middle of the night. The colours were weird and I could see some sense of retro chic wannabe style going on but it was under done. The room was fine. Nothing to write to anyone about! The best thing was the bed. The lighting again was dim. The bathroom was tiny. The air conditioning too loud. We decided to change and head put for the evening. We came back to a more receptive front desk clerk but the ambience never got better. We stayed 2 nights and never saw another guest until we were checking out. One day, our key stopped working and we had lugged all of our shopping up the stairs and were exhausted! I left my partner with the bags and reported the issue to the front desk clerk, he said to try again after putting it through the machine. It didn't work again. I headed back again and he came to check it out this time. The front desk is on the same floor as the rooms. Given the lack of activity, it would have been nice to have him deal with it the first time, especially since he said this happens from time to time. On our departure, there were 2 clerks, our car was retrieved, and we were sent off with smiles and pleasant thank yous. I don't think either of us would opt to stay here again. It was fine, easy to get to Nordatrom Rack in downtown Seattle and places to eat, and also just enjoy downtown Seattle but there are better options. Our baby girl has been out growing her clothes quickly - so it was totally worth the shopping trip!

The good points: it was clean, the bed was cozy and clean, the walk to the restaurants and shopping was easy. The not so great: the service, the odd ambience and the eery feeling about being the only guests was a bit like checking into a haunted hotel!

If your stuck with limited options, consider El Goucho but if you have options, go elsewhere! It is nice to be greeted and welcomed, it is nice to have the option of valet, to have help with bags, to have an elevator, to have little touches that indicate that our choice to stay there was valued.

Have fun in Seattle!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank PinkGypsy
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The other recent reviews are spot on. There seems to be no reasonably priced quality lodging in Seattle during this time of year, so this Inn was a delightful find. We were here for three nights and had an interior room looking onto the tiny "courtyard". Friendly staff, iced water flavored with fresh fruit or cukes in the lobby, spacious room with upscale amenities. The restaurant smell and the onsite movie theatre with its gourmet popcorn drives you to salivation. The only downsides are a slightly cramped Office Closet, towels not changed consistently, easy parking and those stairs. The ever-present orange color scheme created a warm, dark ambience. As our front desk person cheerily put it "We don't have a fitness center, we have the stairs!"

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family