“Pleasant stroll along the waterfront”
Review of Seattle Waterfront

Ranked #55 of 470 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Walking along the Seattle Waterfront is a perfect way to soak up some Northwest atmosphere. Take in views of the Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains while exploring Olympic Sculpture Park, the Seattle Aquarium, shops, and restaurants like Ivar’s, a local landmark, where you can watch the ferries load and depart while you eat.
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We have lived in the Seattle area for over a decade and the waterfront is a wonderful 'tourist' area right here at home. Alaskan Way runs right alongside the waterfront and you can find parking all along the east side of the road, under the soon to be demolished viaduct. There is also commercial parking close by. Get there early, perhaps before 9:30 am on the weekends to find easy parking. Bus service is very handy as well.

What to do? Walking along Alaskan Way you will find a number of attractions and eateries. For a bit of oddity, be sure to spend time in 'Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe' which is loaded with one of a kind trinkets and souvenirs. Be sure to go to the back of the store where you will see real shrunken heads and other rare 'specimens'.

The Seattle Aquarium is on also the water and is well worth the visit. Also for the children, as if the aquarium and Shoppe weren't enough you will find an arcade as well as an indoor merry-go-round.

There is a good variety of both quick and dine-in style food available. The Crab Pot is our favorite. If you are looking for a traditional seafood bake they will treat you to a pot of crab, clams, fish, sausage and other temptations dumped right onto your table! And there is Ivar's Acres of Clams, another yummy eatery, along with Red Robin, McDonalds and others.

If you would like to spend some time on the water be sure to visit Argosy Cruises to the left of Pier 56. They offer cruises of different lengths and offer a great way to see Puget Sound from the water. Of course, you could also hop on one of the ferries for a round-trip to Bainbridge Island or other destinations as well.

Just a few minutes walking distance from the piers is Pikes Place Market with its famous 'flying' fish along with innumerable stalls and shops selling everything from beautiful bouquets of flowers at low prices to the catch of the day neatly wrapped for the trip home.

If you are making this part of a longer visit, consider purchasing the Seattle City Pass which includes the aquarium, a one hour narrated Argosy harbor tour, the Pacific Science Center and a number of other worthwhile attractions at a very good price.

Lest I forget, there is the ferris wheel to ride. With its enclosed enclosed gondolas that ride up to 175' at the top you will get fantastic views of the waterfront and surrounding area. Each gondola holds up to eight people so your entire family can experience the thrill together!

So break out your walking shoes, jacket (it does get cool and windy at times) and take advantage of a fun Northwest attraction.

Michael

1  Thank Michael O
Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)
All reviews
in 24 reviews
"ferry ride"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I decided to take a trip to Seattle to check it out for the first time. I've always been curious if really rains there all the time or not. I went in the middle of September (it wasn't raining) but it was one of the easiest trips I've ever made! I usually rent a car wherever I go because I like to check out the local nature sites. When I was looking up car rentals at the Seattle airport, the prices were super high! So I started doing some research. I was able to find a location in south Seattle that was right off the monorail (I think they call it the light rail) stop. The lightrail took me straight from the airport, to Mt. Vernon station, which was only three blocks from a local Hertz (the Rainier Ave. HLE) site that had super discounted rates! The girl that worked there (I forgot her name) picked me up from the station and drove me back to her office. She explained that the off airport sites are usually much cheaper because they don't have the extra airport fees and taxes. This location is only ten minutes from the heart of down town Seattle also! Which was great, because I stayed at the Pioneer Square Marriott where I was able to get a great deal also. The car worked great for what I needed! I explored the city, the waterfront, and I even took a trip to Mt. Rainier. The waterfront was beautiful. I rode on the Big Wheel, and went to the Aquarium. It was so much fun! And Anthony's had the most delicious seafood mac n cheese I have ever had. If you ever come to Seattle, you MUST go to Rainier! It's absolutely gorgeous. There was a little bit of snow since it was just September, and the marmonts are just darling! For people not familiar with Seattle, Pikes Place Market is a definite place to hit! It's wonderful if you're looking to check out the local goods.

5  Thank alonelytraveler
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My friend who lives in Seattle took me to the Waterfront. The Waterfront has so many things to do and see. We parked along Alaskan Way down near the Aquarium. We walked the length of the waterfront from just North of the Aquarium down to Pier 50.

Along the way are shops, restaurants, parks, and diversions. We loved feeding the seagulls near Ivar's outside eating area and had a cup of Clam Chowder that was tasty. We explored fun shops like Ye Olde Curiosity Shop and the Pirates Plunder. We took lots of really fun photos.

The big ferris wheel is in this area if you have a mind to ride it. You can catch a pedi cab if your feet get tired. You can take a Water Taxi (ferry boat) to a couple different places for cheap.

One of my favorite moments was a pause for a break at the end of the walk. We went just north of the aquarium a short distance and found a cool boardwalk with lawn chairs we could rest in and get good photos. The boardwalk has a giant smiley face painted on it!

Some people don't like the crowds at the waterfront but I didn't think they were bad. We came in the morning. I really liked the waterfront. There is no fee to visit the waterfront but parking is expensive. Each of the attractions has their own fees but you can do a lot for not too much money. It is hard to find a bathroom so make sure you plan to stop for food and use their facilities.

1  Thank Terri R
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently visited the Seattle Waterfront and loved, loved it. The market was fabulous with all the beautiful flowers and seafood and baked goods. I cruised out of Seattle to Alaska and was so happy we did. Most people said to cruise out of Vancouver but I preferred Seattle. We made a stop in Vancouver and I'm still happy we sailed out of Seattle and visited the waterfront.