“Chill time”

More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I love the ferries, they allow you a different perspective of the area at an easy pace. I am from Seattle but currently having to live in another state, every time I return and ride the ferry I realize much I miss the area and enjoy seeing the city from the water.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,823)
All reviews
in 123 reviews
"mount rainier"
in 76 reviews

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The half hour ride to Bainbridge gives you great views of Seattle, and lots of seagulls. didn't have time to explore Bainbridge, I understand it is charming

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Our favorite ferry trip is to walk on a ferry from Anacortes and travel through the San Juan Islands to Friday Harbor. It is a wonderful trip where you travel very close to the islands and can often see eagles, porpoises and sometimes whales. Friday Harbor has lots of fun shops and galleries and great places to eat. Stay for a few hours and walk back on the ferry to Anacortes.

Two important facts:

1. You only pay westbound when you board in Anacortes.

2. If you ride back on the one ferry a day that travels from Sidney BC to Friday Harbor to Anacortes you will have to be cleared by US Customs when you arrive in Anacortes. You don't need passports or an extended drivers license but it does slow disembarking down by 10-20 minutes.

This a great trip year around!

3  Thank BoatingInSeattle
Reviewed February 22, 2014

It was a serene experience. A 45 minute ferry ride felt like 5 minutes. It was amazing to spend time on the outside area of the boat even though it was slightly windy and cold.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I took the Washington State Ferries in our visit to Orcas Island. You can buy your tickets online or upon arrival at the dock. The wait line was certainly long. My husband and I were in the parking lot/dock for over an hour before loading time. The Elwha was huge and in the month of May it was not very crowded. There's certainly lots of room to explore the ferry or just sit and watch the view.

We took the first ferry out from Orcas Island on our way back and I'm glad we did because it enable us to dock on the islands of Shaw and Lopez Islands. It was amazing to see how the students (I think they were junior high) board the ferry to go to Shaw Island for school. Because of these stops, I saw some passengers who looked anxious and irritated with the stops, but guess what? Our ferry was still the first to reach Anacortes.

I guess you just have to be patient if you take a ferry ride. You can't speed up. The captain's in charge.

1  Thank MimieW