“Very Unique and Worth the Visit”

Seattle Public Library
Ranked #14 of 443 things to do in Seattle
Houston, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very Unique and Worth the Visit”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I did a quick look around the library while on our trip in Seattle. We loved the contemporary feel of the museum as it is something that you won't find anywhere else. It only took us 15 minutes to look around. Ride the escalators, go to the all red floor, and go to the very top floor and look down. Up by the Seattle Room there were newspapers that told all about the library. Go and have a look around. You won't be the only tourist there. :)

Visited August 2011

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
discovery bay, ca
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Must see if fan of modern architecture”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I've never seen a library like this! Lots of natural light and several floors where you can look down onto other floors. If you get dizzy or have fear of heights, you probably don't want to do this. Amazing architecture with the use of glass panes.

Red section was freaky cool to walk around in! Felt like I was at Disneyland Haunted house when riding up the yellow escalators and the talking heads were on the right following you up. Check out the children and teen section.

Very cool library. Amazed at the number of computer terminals and people and then how quiet it is. Bring your camera for cool photos.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank wine2love2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 208 helpful votes
“Sorry to disagree”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We visited this library to use the internet, but also intended to explore some of special features and architectural highlights we read about on the library website, in several guides to Seattle, and on online review sites where comments were all enthusiastic.

We went first of all to the 5th floor computer section, and while waiting for a pc to come available, we looked downwards and upwards from the low level "wall" on that level Looking up was OK and we thought of heading to the top floor viewing area first then working our way down through the building , but when we looked down (I think it was down to level 3 that we could see) we both of us started to feel a bit "odd". Not even sure how to describe how we felt, but as if we were slightly "off focus/woozy". Tried again. Same thing. We backed away from that spot and used the internet before returning to the same spot. Tried looking down once again...still felt "odd/off focus/woozy" so decided not to explore any more of the building as wanted to leave at that point. Husband was feeling worse and did not even want to use the down escalator, instead opting for the lift/elevator. We went down one floor intending to visit the 4th floor toilets before leaving the building only to find that these toilets were situated in the "meeting room" area. It is all coloured in reds and pinks on the floors, walls, ceilings, and is all curves and bends. Starting to walk round following the signs to the toilets, we both started to feel even worse than we had done before. We left the building as quickly as we could.

We still do not know why this building had such an unsettling effect on us, we only know that it affected us both and in a very negative way. The only reviews we have read are all full of praise and admiration so we are now left wondering if any others experienced the same negative vibes as we did.

Visited May 2011
7 Thank edinburgher2
United States
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“If you're in the area this is a great stop!”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Spouse and I stopped in with a friend and their two kids. Everyone enjoyed the views from the observation area. Just a nice, fun, free stop! There is a nice little cafe to the left a block coming out of the main entrance and across the street.

Visited March 2011
Baltimore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“We loved our quick visit to the library!”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I'd just like to first thank all the previous TA reviewers who gave me the idea to visit the library! We only had one long day in Seattle and so I was reluctant to suggest to my group that we visit the.....library? But we were walking back to the ferry and it was on our way so my group agreed to come in for a quick peek with me.
They were so glad we did! The building is just amazing. I'm very jealous of Seattle residents because it is the most interesting library I've been in. We didn't have a lot of time to explore and didn't get to walk down the spiral walkway, unfortunately. But we did explore the Red hallway floor and traversed up the escalators to the top floor to see the view from there. I definitely recommend visiting if you are in the city! It doesn't take long and you'll be glad you went!

Visited April 2011