“Delicious Breakfasts!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Mecca Café was recommended to us for breakfast by the desk clerk at our hotel. When we saw the sandwich-board sign on the sidewalk, we wondered what type of place it was; it looked like something that would be in front of a 1960’s “head shop.” Don’t let that scare you away because the food and service were both terrific. We liked it so much; we went on two consecutive mornings!

It’s an interesting old place (since the late 1920’s) with a lot to look at while you’re waiting for your food. The first morning, I ordered a 3-egg veggie omelette (my choice of 3 veggies). It came with potatoes and toast and cost $9.49. It was delicious and the amount was plentiful! The next day, I ordered a (non-Belgium) waffle with blueberries which cost $4.25 + $1.99 for the berries. (I thought it was admirable that our server told me that the blueberries were frozen/defrosted.) Everyone in our party really liked their breakfasts.

This is like a “Diners and Dives” type of place, with great food and a friendly atmosphere. I would imagine they have a lot of “regulars” who come frequently. For seating, there was a long counter on one side and booths along the opposite wall. There is a bar adjoining the main café, accessed by a door near the front. From the signs I saw, they are open really late!

From the menu, I copied this down because I wanted to include it in my review: “Coffee--$2.29 for 3 cups or 1 hour rental space. You know who you are. No pitching tents.”

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Grabbed a booth when the doors opened at 7am. Cozy place, seems like a neighborhood diner. Good coffee, attentive service, and my breakfast of french toast, scrambled eggs, and links was delicious and filling.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Went for breakfast, it was delicious. Staff were not too friendly, maybe it was too early? It's a small cafe, so if there are no tables, then you have to grab a spot at the bar. Food is worth it though. If you need a drink in the am too, they will serve it up.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went here on a Sunday morning for brunch. Our waitress was very nice and the food was pretty good, fairly standard diner breakfast. But the pint glass mimosas on Sunday morning were $4.50! So yes, I would go back.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had breakfast there on 10/4/12 and experienced the worst service ever. The server was very snappy with everyone and couldn't wait to get back to the counter to eat her own breakfast. Looked at my receipt that says her name was Anna. Very bad experience for a tourist to Seattle. Chose the place due to an ad in a handout at the Inn at Queen Anne where I was staying. The management should have the help eat out back, not at all or tell her to eat before she gets to work. Food was OK.