“Excellent overall service and food”

Pomodoro Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #487 of 4,137 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Italian, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pomodoro: a cozy Southern European style restaurant in Seattle offering a selection of pastas, Spanish tapas, Italian and Spanish wines in a cheerful hideaway dimly lit for romance. Gluten free dihes & pasta available
Edmonds, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent overall service and food”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is one of my favorite restaurants to celebrate special occasions and out. Last night was another success and enjoyable evening celebrating a birthday. We had an early evening reservation for four they accommodated us by seating us at the larger table, the service excellent and personable, food exceptional and delicious, and I love the quaint atmosphere. My husband always orders the Cherry Jubilee and even more they have a reasonable corkage fee so you can enjoy a special bottle of wine.

• Visited February 2014

Seattle, Washington
“Loooove this place- I hope the word doesn't get out!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I hesitate to review this lovely little restaurant because I don't want it to get mobbed. It's in an unassuming location and you would never know it was there, especially because I've never seen any marketing (a friend told me about it). What I love: the food is great, the owner is lovely and always in the dining area, you can always get a table and parking, and it's affordable! What don't I like? I wish they had better desserts....

Visited May 2013
Puyallup, Washington
“Decent Mediterranean Style Restaurant”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is an average Mediterranean Style Restaurant. It is better than Olive Garden or any other chain Italian or Mediterranean type restaurant. I will get to why I am picky about Italian later. The positives: Service is very good. Even on 4th of July eve. Very personable. It feels like a neighborhood eatery and indeed looks like it and fits into the neighborhood quite nicely. They were very attentive. It is a little cramped but that is what you get in a neighborhood type place. It was comfortable and fun. The main waitress was from Albania and she was fun and very sincere. The service and neighborhood feel, is this place strongest attraction.

The chef has quite an impressive resume. He has cooked for the Spanish Army, the he King of Spain, the French and Spanish Ministers of Defense and the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line throughout Central and South America, and after that, in Miami with Master Spanish Chef Tony Piedra. This is partly what caught my attention and brought me here. Most excellent chefs are always evolving. They thrive on creating new creations and having new challenges. The menu reflects the south eastern European influences that this chef has: Spanish (mostly), Italian and a bit of French. It is like Spanish infused Italian. While that is nice for most people, for me, it wasn't Italian. I am, admittedly, a food snob especially when it comes to Italian. Why? I am 100% Italian. I grew up around that culture and detest any weird diversions from that. I know many Greeks, French, Spanish, and Korean ...you name the nationality, they are all picky when it comes to their nationality and the traditional foods they love. If you have ever eaten Mexican food in Mexico, you will understand what I am saying.

So I ordered the Gnocchi con Salsiccia e Funghi (Italian potato dumplings sautéed with Italian sausage, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs, and pomodoro sauce.) Gnocchi is hard to get it right. If you cook it too long, it is mushy. Too short, it is too hard. This Gnocchi was cooked too long. While it was interesting with the sausage, mushrooms and such (Spanish influences), it was average at best. Frankly, after reading the chef's profile, I was disappointed as I expected more. The presentation was good; you can tell he has done this before. My friend had the Fettuccine con Pollo al Jerez (strips of organic chicken breast in a light cream sauce with garlic and dry Spanish sherry, tossed with fettuccine). She really liked this dish and again, I thought it was good but average. Both were a step above Olive Garden but not much better. I am thinking 3.5 would be where I would settle on. For the money, there are other better Italian restaurants in the Seattle area (several operated by Italians). If you are in the neighborhood, it might be a nice choice. If you are hunting for real Italian, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a Spanish style place, this might be a good place but I am not up on the available Spanish style Mediterranean Restaurants in the Seattle area.

• Visited July 2013
Kirkland, Washington
“Pleasant neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We really wanted to rate this more of a 3.5-3.75, not quite a 4 . . .but opted for the slightly higher rating because some things were done quite well. The greeting was a little hasty and not quite warm enough . . .although that changed over the course of the dining. Most of the wines are Italian or Spanish, a modest selection of Northwest or California wines. We chose a Novelty Hill red blend (by the bottle) which was nice enough.. The Pomodoro Especiale with tomatoes, garlic, shrimp, and basil on the appetizer menu was delicious . . .very similar to bruschetta. For the entrees we selected Pasta Puttanesca and Manicotti, each tasty but not stellar. Bread served with the Pomodoro Especiale was delicious and more bread was served with a cilantro, parsley, and olive oil pesto. Again, very tasty. If we lived in the neighborhood, we would probably try it again; but there are so many good Italian restaurants east of Lake Washington, it would be easier just to stay on the eastside and avoid the drive and the toll. Many who live in the area will find the restaurant quite enjoyable.

• Visited May 2013
Sequim, Washington
“A true gem”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We love this place. The second you walk in the door, the wonderful smell of garlic greets you. This is a Spanish/Italian place in that they have pastas and classic Italian dishes but also Spanish dishes like chichas (chopped pork in spices) and shrimp in olive oil and hot peppers. Service is friendly and the owner/chef is awesome, stopping by to talk. Don't be in a hurry and just enjoy everything. A truly romantic place.

• Visited November 2012