“Horrible establishment”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 14, 2011

f there were a choice of zero stars, or even negative stars -- would that be a black hole?? -- I would pick it to rate The Garage. My wife, young child, and I drove a distance this evening to the Garage, where a gathering of friends was to occur for a going away party for one of our dear friends. We walked through the door, and were greeted by the bouncer/doorman who promptly informed us that we had to go to the restaurant or leave, as minors are not allowed in the bowling area. That is fine -- we respect the policy. However, what subsequently transpired was very rude and borderline offensible on the part of the Garage agent. Our dear friend who was leaving saw us at the door and came over to say hello, as did a few of our other friends already at the lanes. We were there less than 5 minutes, never crossed 2 feet away from the agent or the door. No other patrons came through the door but 3 individuals -- all a part of our party group. Subsequently, as we were saying our goodbyes because we are not allowed in the establishment with our child, the doorman rudely and abruptly opened the door and asked us to leave. That was that. We have never been treated so poorly, like second-rate citizens because we have a child in hand. We each had heard many negative reviews about the Garage from other colleagues in our professional fields, but had a few friends that claimed a positive experience at the Garage. Without a doubt, we will never recommend the Garage in the future. We are each part of groups that had a few events reserved in the coming months for other occasions, but needless to say we will be canceling our business.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

Like the quirky pizza's too fun place. They always make good drinks here.

Reviewed January 24, 2010

We used to have a good time here and enjoyed the bowling/pool games and food until tonight. We arrived around 12:30am and got a pool table and a round of drinks. The server was great and the atmosphere was like any other place on a Saturday night. Around 1am last call was announced and we ordered another round and a couple appetizers. The Garage is open until two am or so we thought. About 15 minutes later, after we had just gotten our drinks and were setting up for another game, the security guard came over yelling at us, asking us if we were deaf or stupid that we didn't hear last call was announced. Apparently to him that meant no more pool games either, though that was not said over the loud speaker. I asked why we couldn't play any more pool since it was 45 min. before closing. He asked me if I could understand English. It would be fine to explain if they were closing early, but to be rude was uncalled for. I went to pay and told the guy at the desk about the guard yelling at us, then the security guard came over and got in my face asking why I was lying about him being rude. It was one of the worst experiences with bad customer service I have ever had. Then I went back to my friends to finish my beer when the security guard came over to tell me that they were taking drinks away from people. What?! Why would you call last call and 15 min. later take away people's drinks. This place runs on truly bizarre principles. I went to ask the waitress who said she was sorry and that sometimes the owners like to close early. The manager then came over and yelled at me for being argumentative. I was totally appalled at the behavior and communication with the Garage's management. I also don't expect to have to pay for food and drinks that were hardly touched because a place decides to close early without warning. If you're going to close early and if you're going to end activities before closing, let your customers know and in a way that is respectful. Do NOT go there!! There are many finer places with better customer service!

2  Thank miriamoakes
Reviewed May 19, 2009

It was a great time and the mashed potatoes were excellent. We went during happy hour so the bowling and billiards really weren't that expensive. Looking forward to going there next trip!

Reviewed December 31, 2008

Ok... so we were there last night for a BDay party and we rented the room for the night and they didn't let us know about a minimum drink/food order. We didn't have a contract with them and this minimum was never discussed until it came time to pay. When it came to check out they stuck us with a $600.00 tab on top of what the 40 or so people paid individually. We thought it was unreasonable and their managers said that they have a min and we need to pay it or they will run it on our credit card anyway. Then they said "you can just take home several bottles of wine to make up the difference." So we did trying to be "fair" and "agreeable".
Then, they literally took 1.5 hours to find the bottles of wine, run the credit card, etc. Terrible. The very last thing you want to do as the party thrower, and Bday boy for 1.5 hours after you just drank and bowled for 4 hours. We asked for help to speed it up and their terrible waitress says in a snide way "I don't want to be here either, this wasn't exactly a huge party (looking for tips) and I want to leave too..."
Anyway, they lacked tack in every way... when we asked to speak with the decision maker my brother in law literally got kicked out of the bar for asking even thought it was polite.
We have had fun other times here and have had a good experience in general... until we came with a party. They showed total devotion to themselves over the customers and were just terrible to deal with. Apparently they have new management too... so maybe that is the difference from other experiences here.

I would highly discourage any large group from using the Garage as a venue. They clearly don't care about their customers... and again... the worst way to end a party is to standing there while someone takes an hour and a half checking you out. Terrible...

1  Thank seattlelocal

Been to The Garage? Share your experiences!