“We had heard good things about this restaurant.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Boat Street Cafe

Boat Street Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Boat Street Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #341 of 4,059 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: French, American, European
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Belltown
Cuenca, Ecuador
“We had heard good things about this restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We found it to be a gem! There was a waiting list for lunch and they had run out of a few items so we decided to return another day and we are so glad we did. Arrived at 1130 and had a wonderful menu to choose from . The ingredients are fresh, healthy, and Northwest inspired. I'm a chocoahlic but heard about the bread pudding -it was to die for!! Enough for 3 people! The staff are attentive, and the ambiance is very comfortable- kind of country French. Prices reasonable for lunch in Belltown. One of the best restaurants we been to in 8 years in Seattle!

• Visited November 2012

Seattle
“' What a great hideaway "”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

It's been a few years since i have had the pleasure to dine at this restaurant , and let me just say " what took me so long ?
I remember there other location which was quaint and always very tasty and then they moved and i have visited , i just think it was put on the back burner of my mind.
Well people , I remembered what I like about this little hidden gem , the food and the atmosphere.
I grew up playing at the building that its located in now, when i was a child it held a whole different scene which my friends parents had their business so i always liked the charm of the settings.
I like that the minute you walk into the restaurant , you are addressed and seated. The food reminds me of nothing too fancy , but the quality is terrific and the taste that hits your palate , just makes you smile.
Pork roast , fabulous & the sides were incredible and dessert was just as tasty. The wine selection is grand and the wait staff are right on point.
What I think i like most about this place , is there is no nonsense or that feeling like they are trying to keep up with the Jones !
Its fresh , presented well and they just do it right ...... go people what are you waiting for ?

• Visited November 2012
Bainbridge Island, WA
“Great Things Come In Small Packages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I usually pass on brunch invitations because I've had one too many all-you-can-eat, steam table dwelling, swimming in gravy, or dried out entrees for $29.95 including free-flowing "Champagne" that wasn't fit for the closeout aisle at BevMo!. However, my visiting brother and his family wanted to cap off their 4-day whirlwind tour of Seattle with one last meal before a trip to the airport. Again, I wanted to avoid the "let's clean out the walk in and call it a buffet" brunch, so I asked my son (a local sommelier) to give me his recommendation for a decent last supper.

My son, a hip Seattle resident, took into account the proximity of my brother's hotel to good food and while there were many good spots (that I've frequented), he recommended the Boat Street Cafe--a short 10 minute walk from the Waterfront Marriott Hotel. The restaurant was a little hard to find, as it sits in a sunken driveway underneath an office building, but we just followed the signs and made it without a hitch.

Having made a last minute reservation for 8 people, I would have expected to be turned away, but the Hostess welcomed us and said they would make it work, and they did. We were seated at a very nice, large, white shabby chic table that made me feel like I was eating at a wealthy relative's home as opposed to a restaurant. The hostess and server immediately plunged into service and attended nicely to all of our needs. Although, a few things were sold out, they happily offered replacements that probably should have been on the menu to begin with. I'm a chef and I know what it takes to be creative on the fly and I know that not every kitchen will be accommodating in these situations.

The brunch wine list was spartan, but laser focused on the menu with some excellent pairing possibilities. As you would imagine, there was bubbly and in this case two--a Rose Cremant and a Brut Cremant with some optional Kir Royales. I also spied a nice Grower's Champagne (Pierre Peters), but I am a fan of Cremants because they can be quite good and because you can usually buy two bottles for the price on one bottle of Champagne. Their "by the glass" wines were good quality and again, focused on the menu and because many of us chose the same one, the server substituted a whole bottle, noting that it was slightly less money this way and there might be an extra glass in there somewhere. It is nice to see this type of service that focuses on the customers.

On to the food, which surprised and pleased an old, jaded kitchen veteran like me. Because I had already consumed many meat dishes at several restaurants (5) during my brothers visit, I wanted a nice lighter fish entree. I ordered the Roasted True Cod in Mustard Cream Sauce, which was perfectly cooked and presented just home I like it--not overly pretentious and easy to eat. Here is a deconstruction of the dish (which I re-made at home a couple of nights later because it was so good): Take a medium-size wide bowl, put a in handful of expertly roasted red potatoes, a nice spoonful of quick sauteed spinach, positions a few thin fillets of perfectly cooked cod on top of this base, and then top it all with a deliciously delicate sauce that hints at Dijon without overpowering any of the other players in this symphony of delight. this sounds like a very simple dish, which it is, but a dish like this requires skill and expertise beyond a kitchen newbie's abilities. With many layers of components, it is easy to over-season each layer, resulting in a Salt Bomb or if too cautious, you end up with flavors equivalent to a Bucket of Bolts. To the chef's credit, the dish was perfect as a whole and each layer was tasty and added to the whole. When I occasionally looked up from my fish, I saw that everyone else had the same smile on their faces.

I highly recommend the Boat Street Cafe to anyone who enjoys great food, great wines, and great service in a homey warm environment, because you will find it here. The Brunch prices will surprise you too, as no entree was over $15 (if I recollect correctly), and many small plates at $8-$10 could and did suffice as a meal. The dinner menu is more on par with other fine restaurants, but given the three star quality of the food, wine and service, I am excited to go back and enjoy a nice, quiet dinner with wife. Whether you are visiting Seattle or a resident who hasn't yet found this gem, do try it, you will be happy that you did.

• Visited October 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Best Restaurant in Seattle, but maitre d' has to go.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Outstanding food. Fresh, innovative dishes. The pickled fruit and veggies are wonderful. Everything done perfectly.

Only down side was the maitre d' Robert. We arrived 15 minutes early for our reservation. The restaurant was full as was the bar. Robert said "I was expecting you in 15 minutes. There is no room for you anywhere in the restaurant." It was 47 degrees out and raining. I told him there was no way we were going to wait outside which visibly annoyed him. We waited just inside the door. In ten minutes two seats at the bar opened up. If this guy had anymore attitude, he wouldn't be able to stand himself. There is a hallway outside the restaurant on the way to the restrooms where he could have had us wait. I've never had anyone tell me to wait outside until my table was ready.

The servers were great and had no attitude. Robert spent the evening strutting around the restaurant totally impressed with himself.

Other than Robert a really great restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
San Diego
“Wonderful place to spend lunchtime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

If I lived in Seattle I'd eat here every day. Lovely staff and food. Wonderful service. Delicious cod with pesto sauce. Incredible savory bread pudding, salads, etc. It was like eating in someones gracious soulful home, that is a most gifted cook. This was the most perfect place to spend a restful time with my wife. Also located just down the street from the Olympic Sculpture garden - first eat lunch, walk through the garden, then take a nap!

• Visited August 2012