“The Customer is Always Right?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thai Tom

Thai Tom
Ranked #341 of 3,903 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: University District
Clairton, Pennsylvania
“The Customer is Always Right?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I can't say anything about the food that hasn't already been said, it's great. And the place is kinda small, which is why a first come first served policy is a very good thing. Unless the owner would rather seat more people. I walked in the door when they opened and sat at the counter by myself, and was subsequently asked to move twice in about 10 minutes. I think this is a terrible business practice and I hope that in the future, they will give more consideration to the people who arrive first.

• 2 of 5 stars

• Korean first
  • Thai first
“Great Thai for great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Tough to find a place (let alone Thai) that has better food for the price and speed. Not sure how Tom is able to keep up his pace for hour after hour, but the quality is consistently great. The wait for the food is usually pretty short, although the smells coming out of Tom's makes it a tough wait. The restaurant itself is somewhat dive-y, but you have the ability to watch your dish be cooked. I would recommend sitting at the bar/main table (but avoid the bar seats furthest into the restaurant - the edge is used for prep area for the food and waitresses will have to reach over/around you).

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank zcyclone
“Delicious, fresh, unique Pad Thai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I checked out this U District hot spot last month. I thought Thai Tom's Pad Thai was simply the best, most flavorful and unique helping of Pad Thai that I've ever had. My husband, however, did not like the charred taste that accompanies the dish. The sauce is also a little different than most Thai places.

We got take out since the restaurant was full to the point of being obnoxious...I honestly don't think I could've squeezed through the restaurant to reach the counter and place an order. We're talking packed.

One complaint that we both had was that the lunch portions - though priced the same as a comparable sit down restaurant with huge portions - were the smallest we had ever seen at a Thai restaurant. This didn't bother me so much but added to the reasons that my husband isn't keen on returning.

• 3 of 5 stars
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Thai at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Was recently in Seattle for a quick business trip and Thai Tom was 1 block over from my hotel (Hotel Deca - see separate review on this awesome hotel). Thai food is my absolute favorite and I am very hard to please in this category but Thai Tom was truly amazing. Incredibly small place, kinda divy, but the food was absolutely top notch. I stayed in Seattle for 4 nights and ate there 3 out of the 4. The pad thai, green curry, black pepper chicken and I believe it was the ginger chicken were all superb. Cooks were amazing. These guys were like well oiled machines behind the grill. Never seen anything quite like it. They have to be, obviously they are incredibly busy. Highly recommended.

• 3 of 5 stars
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Bankok in Seattle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I spent a few months living in Thailand last year and this place definitely gives some of the local, authentic places that I ate at there a run for their money. Needless to say the food is absolutely amazing and prepared by an all thai staff. Prices are super reasonable and portions huge. Yeah... getting seated kind of sucks and you're probably going to have to wait outside for a few minutes because there are only about 10 tables in the whole place.... but it's TOTALLY worth it. Make sure to bring cash as well because they don't accept card. The "phad see-yoo again" is amazing

1 Thank Ty K

Been to Thai Tom? Share your experiences!