“Yummy treats for our New Year's Eve and spunky proprietress, too”

No photo provided
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Seattle
“Yummy treats for our New Year's Eve and spunky proprietress, too”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

In my opinion one needs to look south of downtown Seattle to find the best barbeque. Where BBQ is everything and not just an item on a longer menu, then you know it's been perfected! R&L is just that kind of place and we found it by accident (sort of). We'd been busy all day and hadn't thought about dinner. It was getting toward 8pm on New Year's Eve and the family finally decided on BBQ. However, all the BBQ places we called were closing before we could get there ... except R&L who offered to wait until we arrived. Now, that's someone who loves their patrons and wants them to eat good food!

Upon arrival, there was family debate over spare ribs versus back ribs. The proprietress rewrote our order three times with good nature and gentle ribbing, as well as helpful suggestions on how to settle the family squabble and how much to order. We came home with some of each along with pulled pork, beans, potato salad and, of course, white bread to sop up the excess sauce after the ribs were eaten. We would have loved to have their corn bread and greens, as well, but those were available Thursday-Sunday, only.

We got the mild sauce which was every so yummy: not too sweet, tangy, rich with enough body to cling to every bit of meat. Even though our bellies were fully satisfied, we should have brought home more for next day's left overs.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Zipster16

Perth, Australia
“Traditional soul food at it's best”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

If you want traditional soul food like barbecue ribs and sweet potato pie then this is the place. The food is fantastic and it's also very good value for money. My girlfriend and I shared a pound of ribs, coleslaw, potato salad and a piece of sweet potato pie and it came to less than $25. R&L is a family-owned diner ans Barbara and her husband will serve you with a smile. I can't recommend this place enough!

1 Thank Charger265
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“THIS IS THE BEST BARBEQUE IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY!”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I am 70 years of age and I have been a customer of R & L Home of Good Barbeque since I was 13 years old, whether I lived in Seattle, Bellevue, Edmonds or Mill Creek!
I was attending Washington Junior High School at the time, which was located about one block away!
I either take out or eat in the restaurant!
I have tried many Barbeque restaurants in many different cities over the years, but have not found any that compare. The Meats and Sauces are unbeatable!
My favorite has always been the Brisket of Beef as a meal, a sandwich or by the pound! In fact, one of the attendee’s favorites at my daughter’s wedding was the Barbeque Brisket of Beef which I ordered from Home of Good Barbeque! It was gobbled up faster than anything else!
All of my children were basically raised eating there and they all agree with what I am saying here!
It is difficult to remember how many people (friends & associates) I introduced to this food, but without exception all agreed this was the best!
Years ago, my employees and I decided to have a Taste-Off to compare other Barbeque food to Home of Good Barbeque! Would you care to guess who won? You would be correct, if you guessed Home of Good Barbeque!
I didn't realize until now that I could write a review on-line!
Thank you for reading my opinion!
Erwin from Seattle, Washington

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank EDDIE9663
Sun City, Arizona
“They are one of the best”
Reviewed December 26, 2008

I started going to Home of Good Barbeque over 20 years ago. You go to Home of Good for the food; not the atmosphere.
My menu favorites are the rib tips, greens and sweet potato pie. I try barbeque every where I go and measure all others by their standard. All have failed. The sauces are usually too sweet or too much tomato.

Unfortunately, I now live in the Phoenix area and now suffer from serious rib withdrawal.

Seattle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I love this place, people and food.”
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Been coming to this little establishment for the past 20 some years. Food is just as good as the first day I came. Whenever I'm in the neighboorhood I stop in for my rib sandwich. Even my Grandparents were delighted with their food the time I sent them off on the Amtrak with plenty of ribs and chicken for the long ride back to Montana...oh if they had a mail service my Gramps would have kept them short on ribs.
My Folks have passed but I keep remembering how they loved the "Home of the Good BBQ"!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank CKsmiles