“Nice enough and more than one veggie option!”
Review of Japanese Gourmet Restaurant - CLOSED

Japanese Gourmet Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pike Place Market
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice enough and more than one veggie option!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Fancied something a bit different and always like to try Japanese food when they have vegetarian options available, as this place does. Not sure how much the waitress serving me could understand my English accent, but we got there in the end. Some tasty local bottled beers and I had the veggie yakisoba, so a noodle dish. Would have preferred more tofu, but overall the taste was good and it both tasted and felt freshly cooked.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Rather Run of the Mill”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I was visiting Pike Place Market, and walked by this place. I peeped in, it seems full. I noticed the staffs either speak Mandarin or Cantonese, I know that it is run by Chinese and not Japanese. No offense, some great Japanese restaurant are ran by non-Japanese. The judgment will be on the food and service and not on their race/nationalities.

I ordered a Sushi Combo, and my companion ordered a Bento Deluxe. Both comes with Salad and Miso Soup. The salad is of decent size but with very little dressing. My Sushi is OK but nothing outstanding. Ditto with the bento box.

The restaurant actually has a patio at the back, when I was there, no one was sitting outside. I believe the patio is part of the residential building because you can see other resident's bike there. It turns out to be the best thing there. Dining out in open air in a summer night is great.

Sydney, Australia
“a nice retreat”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

After a long day of touring and shopping around Seattle my friend and I were beat. It was Sunday evening and we were walking around for a place to grab a bite to eat. Trying not to walk around the hills of Pike's Place Market, we ran into the Japanese Gourmet Restaurant. From the outside it appeared nondescript. We read the menu and decided to go in. Upon walking in, it felt like an oasis. A retreat from all of the loud busyness and dampness of outside. It was nicely styled and we were definitely made welcome by the Japanese staff which was a good sign. The sushi rolls were all homemade and tasty. Between the two of us we shared about 4 rolls and some seaweed salad. It was yum, especially the dragon roll. I would come back here again if I were in town.

Des Moines, Iowa
“IPleasant Surprise”
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We chose JGR because it was choice, directly across the street from Inn at the Market. Actually my wife liked the idea of on climbing another hill. I looked at TripAdvisor's reviews and wondered why anyone in their right mind would want to have salmon or northernwestern seafood at a Japanese restaurant. That's down the street at the Market or Piers. What you have is a Japanese place that has great atmosphere and good food. Some of the staff has problems with english bt just adds to the charm. Sushi Bar is wonderful and the Tempara will knock your sock off.

North Bethesda, Maryland
“Delicious selection, conveniently located at Pike Place”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stopped at this location shortly after arriving in town. It was very convenient, the service was great, and nice selection of food. The bento boxes have a good range of components. Recommend this place if out shopping or walking around Pike Place Market.

• Visited February 2014