“We were simply blown away...”

Harbor City Restaurant
Ranked #307 of 4,271 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: International District
Reviewed January 15, 2014

...by the variety, quality, and rock bottom cost of the dim sum. Went for Sunday brunch with family, probably their busiest time. The wait for a table was about 30 minutes [something I rarely tolerate], but well worth it. If this is not the best dim sum in North America, it's pretty damn close [my bench mark being the pricy Shun Lee Cafe, at Lincoln Center, in New York]. As for ambiance, fuggitaboutit - you're there for the food.

1  Thank schvitzNewYorkCity

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Unbelievably good Dim Sum at this restaurant. Inexpensive, too! Their honey walnut prawns were to die for. Spicy green beans equally as good. Every single item eaten was an explosion of flavor in my mouth. I will definitely be returning.

1  Thank Donna P
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I used to eat at Harbor City years ago before they did Dim Sum and really liked the food. But there were so many other great places in China Town that I drifted away to other establishments, all great.

I had a colleague who was married to a Chinese lady and spent a lot of time in China Town, when I asked him what do the Chinese look for in a restaurant, he replied the Chinese way of thinking was a bit different than ours. First, they looked for a well lit restaurant, the logic if the lights are dim, what are they trying to hide? Second, they looked for plan walls with little or no decorations, again thinking if they spend money on the decorations then they must not be spending on the food. At that time Harbor City met both criteria.

Jumping ahead to present time, the décor has been updated but not "over the top", the lighting is bright but with new Chinese style fixtures, the walls have been covered with wall treatment that are very nice. One way I judge the quality of a Chinese restaurant is by the number of Asian people eating there, when we went in the ratio was about 75/25 Asian to Caucasian, a good sign. The Dim Sum is good, very fresh and hot. The prices are on a par with other restaurant's in area. The only drawback is the lack of space, the tables turn over quickly but there is virtually no waiting area and folks are jammed in the front like sardines (one star lost). We went in on a Monday thinking it would not be so busy, were where wrong. We were asked if we would share a large table and had no problem doing so, even enjoying meeting new people.

I don't think I will make a special trip to Seattle or Harbor City just for Dim Sum, as several new restaurant's have opened closer to my home that are on a par with Harbor City, Jade Garden and several others in the area.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

its fast, tasty and not to expensive

We went here because the line was a little smaller then across the street. I'm glad we did. Once we got in there were delsih hot Hum Bow and Shu Mai ... lots of shrimp options... not the biggest selection I've seen, but service was good and food was good.

Go back

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Being from Montana you want to eat "ethnic" when in the city. I love to get to the Internaional District and hit the dim sum places late in the morning. And during the week if possible to miss the crowds.

This has become my favorite over the years. Often I'm the only gringo there and that is a good sign. If the Chinese are coming for the Chinese food that is good, they know more than I do. And they have not lead me astray here.

I always eat too much, but there is so much to try! Life is short and you should spend some of it here.