“hard to find but worth it” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Neighborhood: Downtown
Spokane, Washington
“hard to find but worth it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

Luigis is in the famed pioneer park district, original seattle. It is a bit tricky to find as there is no sign outside. We got there after several illegal u turns and a lot of cursing on my part. The staff seemed to be two teens, sister and brother. Our salads were just delicioous, and the pizza and pasta even better. This is bare bones atmosphere and food served italian style, with a heart.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

surrey, british columbia
“Downstairs to a Great Italian Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

My wife and I ate at DeNunzio's Trattoria on Saturday evening, January 2, 2010. We both enjoyed our meals.

Located in the basement of the building on the corner of Cherry Street and First Avenue in downtown Seattle (you enter DeNunzio's down a set of stairs and through two large blue doors on Cherry Street in the Pioneer Square area), DeNunzio's is within walking distance of many of the downtown Seattle hotels, including Hotel 1000, Alexis Hotel, Hotel Monaco, and Hotel Vintage Park, to name a few.

The food can only be described as "home cooking" and is interesting to say the least. My wife and I elected to try their $30 per person "all you can eat" meal, wherein the staff kept bringing us dishes of Italian food until we said "no more". The dishes we got to eat were selected by DeNunzio's and brought to our table for us. There is no "wine list" as such. Rather, the house red was a Chianti at $7 per glass, which, as it turned out, was very good and paired well with the various dishes we enjoyed for dinner.

We started with three simple yet very tasty dishes: (1) a spinach and artichoke heart bruschetta, (2) antipasto, and (3) veal ravioli. Our fourth dish was a tasty rosemary, garlic and cream risotto. Although my wife was getting quite full, dish five was brought to our table: roasted chicken breast rubbed with several herbs and spices. At this point my wife said "no more." I, on the other hand, asked our waiter about course six, and upon being told it was sliced pork in a mushroom sauce, I could not help myself. Fully satisfied, I too at this point cried "no more."

But our kind waiter insisted that we find room for course seven, otherwise known as desert: our choice of either (i) vanilla cheesecake with a chocolate or raspberry sauce or (ii) tiramisu. My wife selected the tiramisu while I selected the cheesecake with both types of sauces. Both deserts were excellent!

Our final bill, with three glasses of wine, tax, and 15% tip, came to $105. It was money well spent. We will definitely eat at DeNunzio's again when next we visit Seattle.

1 Thank David P
North Carolina
“loved the food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

went there as part of a group of 8, and were given 6 or 7 dishes from the kitchen in an all you can eat sort of arrangement.... all of the dishes were wonderful. We left after eating much more than any of us needed to eat... and we all loved the experience and tastes.

Chicago, Illinois
“Like Being in a Movie!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

We had so much fun stopping into Denunzio's! We were walking around on our first night of our stay in Seattle, and we were hungry! We passed through Pioneer square and noticed a little Italian place that was below street level and seemed in keeping with the whole district, so we stopped. I'm so glad we did!

The atmosphere is pretty interesting as it is truly in a basement, but one that is part of old Seattle, so there was LOTS of atmosphere. Almost every table was taken, but we were seated right away and treated to home cooked Italian food served by the family running the restaurant. The "Papa" was complete with handlebar mustache and Italian accent. He suggested a few things that were not on the menu and my husband ended up with home made lamb lasagna, which he truly enjoyed.

It was a great place to eat, drink, and people watch. Highly recommended.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, WA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Make sure you get the pricing details on ANYTHING you order!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

I and 9 other persons participated in a cooking class from DeNunzio's which one of us purchased at a charity auction for $500. The owner, Luigi, started everything off by having each of us sign a waiver saying we would not hold him responsible for any accidents. We each thought this was a bit strange, but proceeded to get involved in what we thought would be an enjoyable afternoon. Luigi never said anything about items that would not be included in the auction coupon, so we assumed that all was inclusive. He broke out bottles of wine, which none of us would have probably ordered, not to mention that the quality of the wine was very cheap. The food was good but limited, although the class ended up being more of a demonstration and one of the items that was supposed to be included in the menu got dropped with no explanation. We all felt OK about the afternoon until we were presented with a bill. Luigi charged us $40 per bottle for the 4 bottles of wine that he had uncorked, and added 20% gratuity for himself. While we expected to pay $50 each for the class, we each ended up having to scrape up an additional $25 apiece, for a total bill of $850!!! Luigi even had the gall to say that his wife was one of the co-founders of the charity. What could have been a wonderful experience that brought Luigi repeat business, ended up leaving us enraged and determined to prevent him getting any business that we can stop. I don't know how a person like this can manage to stay in business!

1 Thank Like2Travel1959