“Spicy BBQ, tender greens and desserts to die for”

Willie's Taste of Soul BBQ
Ranked #2,723 of 4,270 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We've eaten here a number of times and have enjoyed it every time. I believe "Willie" (or the owner/chef, even if his name is not really Willie) has been there each time and prepared our meal. Service is somewhat slow, so don't go there if you're in a hurry. I've found that if I'm pleasant and friendly, I get the same treatment in return. I've tried the chicken, pork and beef BBQ and think the pork is the best. For side dishes, I've tried the beans, greens and corn bread. You get 2 sides. I like the cornbread and the greens the best. On the counter there are usually 2-3 different types of cakes. Be sure to save room ... my experience is that I get a good sized piece.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This restaurant is now actually two in one - the Taste of Soul on one side and then on the other side it has a spin-off from Ezell's Chicken. We went in on a Thursday night, and the person at the counter was not at all friendly to us (we were using a Living Social coupon, which she really seemed to be irritated by). We ordered spicy sauce, but there was really no spice at all, although the food did have good flavor. It is a very noisy restaurant (no table service - you place your order and pay at the counter, and then they do bring the food to your table) so if you are looking for a quiet venue, either go when noone else is there, or find a different place to go. The pricing seems a bit high, but for someone who really enjoys collard greens, it is worth paying the price.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Food here was good. We tried the BBQ and several side dishes. People were nice and service was good. Huge diversity of people who came in the restaurant.

1  Thank KatPlay
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Man at counter was hostile and hasselled me about using my Living Social coupon. I have seen comments on other rating sites that speak of the same problem with coupons.

Then they got my order wrong!

Then they overcharged me about $7.00. An order of baby backs dinner, $4.00 of BBQ sauce and a large potato salad does not come to a $25.00 coupon and an additional $6.37 in cash!!

This place is also expensive; for the baby back dinner you get 5 ribs, some white bread, a spoon full of beans and a scoop of potato salad for $15.95. Give me a break! The prices stated on their web site are out dated.

The food was very mediocre. The sauce had no oomph at all. Some of the ribs tasted very salty.

Who needs the headache?

Reviewed February 18, 2011

Had a craving for barbecue after a long week. Tried Willie's for the first time. The food and service were wonderful and the unexpected live Jazz Saxophone was a delight in this small, but big on atmosphere, neighborhood joint.