“Touristy and Terrific”

Ivar's Acres of Clams
Reserve with OpenTable
Ivar's Acres of Clams is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #132 of 4,394 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Spring and Madison
Transit: FREE Waterfront Streetcar Bus Line (Route 99): http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/wfsc/
Description: Ivar’s Acres of Clams has unveiled a whale of a transformation at this flagship location on Pier 54, located on Seattle’s Waterfront overlooking Elliott Bay. Ivar’s Acres of Clams just completed a stunning remodel, the biggest in its 79-year storied history. The down-to-the-studs remodel includes expanded indoor dining space, a new massive outdoor patio, expanded state-of-the-art kitchen and a completely refreshed interior that pays homage to our iconic restaurant’s roots. Upon entering Ivar’s Acres of Clams you will be immersed in the history and lore of Ivar’s and our flounder Ivar Haglund. Original features of the Pier, which opened in 1901, including exposed fir beams and a refurbished Galbraith-Bacon & Co sign from the original tenant (some say the Seattle Costco of its time) were restored. With a more airy feel and expansive views, diners will enjoy views of the Puget Sound, passing Washington State ferries and fireboats from historic Fire Station #3. If you prefer al fresco dining, enjoy a stunning, new outside patio deck. Bask in the open-air breeze while taking in the sights and sounds of Elliott Bay, including the tranquil passing of ferries – and the occasional seagull friend. To satisfy your craving for Northwest seafood, our chefs have created award-winning preparations to reflect the season’s bounty, yet still showcase Ivar Haglund’s world-famous original recipes. Choose from wild Alaska salmon, deep-water halibut, Alaska King Crab, Dungeness Crab, jumbo prawns, manila clams and weathervane scallops, just to name a few. Be sure to check out our Pier 54 Fish Bar, which offers take-out service of Ivar's classics including award-wining fish ‘n chips, chowder and other seafood favorites. As part of the local lore, feel free to feed a few fries to the seagulls. It’s a photo opportunity worth sharing! Be sure to check out our virtual tour: https://goo.gl/maps/rG3RGF9nQ6o
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Yes, it's touristy, but there's a reason their fish and chips are 'world-famous'. It's because they are delicious! The service is great as well.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,719)

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have been both to the sit-down and outdoor fast food restaurants at Ivar's multiple times. Everything however was perfect during this visit!

We were seated next to an open window where we admired the beautiful view of Elliott Bay. The seagulls were out, the ferries were traveling, and a cool breeze swept through the window. The server's name was Eric and he was friendly, attentive, and efficient.

I always go for the signature cod fish and chips. These are the best fish and chips that I have ever had and I always look forward to them during my visits to Seattle. I recommend the Bloody Mary here, but I would ask for it less-spicy as the server advised. It was perfect.

Unfortunately I had left a package at the table when I left. However, it was waiting for me at the check in stand less than five minutes later.

The next the I am in town, I will be visiting Ivar's again. This is a unique Seattle establishment.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We actually did not plan to eat here, but the driver on our sight-seeing bus recommended it. The restaurant has a dining room, which is where we ate, but there is also a walk-up window outside if you just want fish and chips while enjoying the harbor. Inside, my husband had fish and chips and it was excellent. (The fish and chips cost less at the walk-up window, but inside, the 4-piece was just $15.00 so no complaints there.) Being from Texas, we obviously don't have access to fresh salmon, and the salmon I have tried on rare occasions, I did not like. But, since the salmon was so fresh (early June), I decided to give it a try and I ordered the Copper Salmon Duo, which supposedly was a filet each of the King and Sockeye Salmon. Just grilled, nothing on top to disguise the flavor and add calories. So it seems that I like the King Salmon, as it was very mild; however, the Sockeye was substantially more pronounced, so I probably won't try that again. I am glad we went there; our waitress was very friendly, it was fairly crowded, and everyone seemed to be enjoying the food. It was casual, as we walked in around 5:30 p.m. in shorts. Before we left, patrons began showing up dressed a little nicer than we were.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

That is right, they do not bread the clams at Ivar's. I would recommend the prawn shrimp. Large juicy with a light batter that is really good. Sit outside instead of the hot and stuffy enclosed area. The fries are good as well. Order two different things so you can split with your wife. The oysters were good as well, but the shrimp were really good.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I ate there for dinner with a fairly large group of business associates. The young waitress that served us was a bit gruff at first, but ultimately did a very fine job. The menu is unusual. It mixes a lot of different sea and other foods with things that I wouldn't expect. For example, one of the house specialties is an acre of clams: 2#s of steamed clams with cut potatoes and a white wine sauce. (Drawn butter, but only on request). When I asked about this dish, I was told the clams were served on a bed of the potatoes which were in the white wine sauce. I love steamed clams, but, I must confess, I've never heard of them being served on a bed of cut potatoes swimming in a white wine sauce. Might be good, but I had the 3-piece fish and chips. Now, that was really good. Extremely light breading and the haddock was light, flakey and cooked perfectly! And the serving was more than adequate. I could only eat 2 of the 3 pieces. (It's served with tartar, cocktail, or both types of sauces).

They don't serve Tito's martinis so I had a Grey Goose martini. When I ordered a second, they had ran out of Grey Goose, but Belvedere was an equally good, perhaps, slightly more expensive, option. A glass of house chardonnay with my fish and chips was served properly cold and was quite good.

All in all, good service, a very tasty (if not the best fish and chips I've ever had), with well made martinis at a very reasonable price. Well done Ivar's!