“Disappointing anniversary dinner which could not have felt more rushed”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #778 of 4,270 Restaurants in Seattle
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between First Ave and Queen Anne Ave
Description: Dip Into Something Different
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was not typical of The Melting Pot and our whole family was disappointed. We went to celebrate our 15th anniversary with our two teenagers. It was Sunday night, 5 pm and not crowded when we arrived. We had made reservations and were on time. We sat down and had to ask that the music be turned down a bit as it was blaring. After ordering, the waiter came to make the fondue. The burner wasn't hot enough and it took an unusually long time to melt the cheese and when he finally decided it was done, it was still lukewarm. Our salads came and we continued with the cheese fondue. We had not finished either when the waiter came back with the broth for the main course, shoved the cheese off the burner and put the broth on instead... We clearly weren't ready and it made those on the end of the table have to reach past the broth to the cheese.. to make things worse, he then disappeared for an eternity.
When he finally returned with the remaining ingredients for the cooking style, he mixed them in with none of the usual Melting Pot flourish and then proceeded to put the potatos into the broth without even asking. He once again disappeared and we sat waiting for additional sauces (the food was finally eaten without them even though he did eventually bring some out) At some point during this part of the meal he came and asked what desert we wanted. as he slapped the desert menu into my daughter's hand. I asked "can we at least finish the dinner first?" and mentioned I was really feeling rushed and had felt that way through the majority of the meal. Well he showed me. We sat there without anything to drink, dinner complete, in the middle of all the dirty dishes. When he did come back to get the desert order, he left us sitting with the dirty dishes. The desert chocolate was then relatiely cold when we got it. I have only had one bad experience prior at The Melting Pot and that was due to parents with bad manners bringing in a screaming baby, not due to the establishment or the service. I was completely appalled by the service we got which in turn made what otherwise would have been a good tasting meal, cold, lacking sauces, and basically unacceptable. I would have told a manager, but none happened by (also unusual) and I wasn't going to seek one out. I recommend asking for any server besides Michael. If you are going to pay 270.00 for a dinner, it should definitely come with great service. Again, we eat here for many special occassions a year and have had only 1 por experience prior. This was not typical...

1  Thank Mishel777

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Overpriced, not compensated for the horrible experience we had. The wires underneath the table started sparking and could have caused a fire or injured someone, we called the manager out and she was rude and didnt seem to care a bit about our experience. We were not moved from the table even though one of the pots didnt work, and everyone in our party was very dissapointed.
Other than the cheese the rest of the food was awful, the meats didnt seem very fresh, and for the price you pay it is not worth it. I would never suggest this place to anyone....unless perhaps you hate them.

2  Thank tfergus0n
Reviewed November 14, 2010

My husband and I took our daughter (16) here. Upon walking in the door my daughter took one look at the menu and exclaimed "Mom we can't eat here! This is way too expensive!" My husband and I are total foodies and when we can sneak away we are always trying different upscale places so we thought this was pretty funny. We explained to her that this is the kind of places we like to eat when we go out. Her reservations soon vanished when the cheese course came out. We ordered "The big night out" for two because the server told us that it would be more than enough food for the three of us and she was right. We had so much fun and the food was fabulous! On the way out my daughter said "This is my new favorite! I can't believe you guys do this without me!" With drinks and salad the bill was $120 before tip which some may feel is too much but I absolutely felt that it was worth every penny. I can't wait to go back!

1  Thank DBonna
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Service was uneven. Waited 20 minutes to be seated even with a reservation and another 20 to see a server, who then told we should have come 1/2 hour earlier to get to nearby concert in time(!). Once service commenced it was excellent, but abbreviated. Then, halfway throough meal, service ceased to exist again (?). and we had to waive down a waiter.
Food was good but overrated. $150+ to cook my own dinner?
We ere very willing to spend some $$$ for a good meal with good service. Bar and service there was excellent.
Would recommend just a cocktail and appetizer before concert.

1  Thank Laura60878
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We went to the Melting Pot as a birthday celebration and before going to a musical in Seattle. If you are seeing a show after dinner you need to make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to eat, at least two hours is needed!

Since reservations were made ahead of time and the restaurant was told we were celebrating a birthday, the hostess, the waitress and even the manager came by with birthday wishes! The manager on duty was excellent as well.

The server did tell us that you could get half price appetizers and desserts during happy hour in the bar...great tip if you just want to stop in for a little while!

Been to The Melting Pot? Share your experiences!