“Oldest Restaurant In Seattle”

Merchants Cafe and Saloon
Ranked #1,094 of 4,094 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Delicatessen
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Hansville
“Oldest Restaurant In Seattle”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've been coming here off and on for almost 40 years. It's always been an interestingly historical old place, usually with adequate food and drink. I'm sure the place has changed ownership several times over the years, but the present owner seems to upgraded the food quality and training of the staff.

My wife and I recently stopped in and greatly enjoyed a cheeseburger and fettuccini, which were both expertly prepaired and promptly served. The biggest changed I noted was the quality of the waitstaff. Our server was gracious, friendly, and knew the menu well. It was obvious that the other waiters and waitresses were also good. This usually means good management. I think the current owner, Darcy, is doing a great job! The prices are quite reasonable for thin area, as well.

1 Thank HansvilleHugh

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We needed to kill an hour before the underground tour started so went to Merchants for a quick bite. I got the fettuccine and my wife got a burger. I was shocked with how good it was, hands down the best fettuccine I have had in years. The cheese was obviously fresh and the pasta was perfect. My wife said the hamburger was also great. to top it off the service was great and we got a discount because we were on the underground tour.

When you go, because you should, be sure to check out the lower level. As a historic building they can't make a lot of changes and the stairs are just a hoot. I thought it was convenient in a bar because if you can make it back up the stairs from the restroom you are sober enough to have another.

1 Thank Nyrken
Ventura
“Good food”
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in pioneer square at lunch time and our hotel suggested this resturant. Wonderful food. Friendly waiters, an interesting building.

D. C. suburbs
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a find!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Our tour guide pointed out this restaurant as the oldest in Seattle, and it was very close to the Seattle Underground entrance which we wanted to visit, so after checking out the interesting menu, we decided to give it a try. I split a salmon fingers appetizer and grilled cheese sandwich with a friend--both delicious! Seriously--I'd never had better salmon (blackened and grilled), and that was the best grilled cheese sandwich I'd ever tasted, paired with sensational fries. The owner waited on us herself and was justifiably proud of her menu and chef. Then she brought us an order of her deep-fried cheese curds with honey--another treat. Large portions--even split with a friend. Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Stunned_in_VA
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
“Merchants Cafe”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

It's a good place to stop by for dinner and drinks after the underground tour.
Loved the alfredo but pulled pork not so good.
Our waiter was very friendly.

• Visited February 2013