“Terrific tour with interesting history”

Beneath the Streets
Book In Advance
More Info
$19.00*
and up
Subterranean Seattle Walking History Tour
Ranked #13 of 153 Tours in Seattle
More attraction details
Owner description: Walking tour in Seattle's historic Pioneer Square. The tour lasts one hour and guests are guided through the neighborhood at both street level and below. The focus of the tour is the evolution of the physical and cultural landscape of the birthplace of the city.
Fairfax, VA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Terrific tour with interesting history”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This was a very interesting tour. It was my first visit to Seattle & I'd read about taking an underground tour in a guidebook. My hotel gave me a discount coupon for this company plus I'd heard that the groups were smaller. So I picked Beneath the Streets over the competitor. There were 12 in my group but I believe the maximum group size could have been bigger. I was not sure what to expect but I can say I learned quite a bit about the history of Seattle. The tour guide was great. I called in the morning on the day I wanted to take the tour to get information & to find out what times were available. I also received directions & tips on how to find the ticket office which is shared with a spooked tour.

1 Thank Virginia2002

Boston, Massachusetts
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Definitely worth checking out”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My spouse and I decided to take this tour instead of the other more well known underground tour after we found discounted tickets. Up until that point we were planning on going with the other option and had researched it, but didn't know much about Beneath the Streets. I am happy to say that we both really enjoyed the tour. The starting location is shared with some sort of ghost tour, which might be a little iffy for very young/easily spooked children, but for most its a nice quirk that just adds to the fun (Nothing on the tour is scary, you just start in a room/area decorated with all things macabre). Our guide was very friendly and most importantly the tour groups were very small (only 5 people in ours!). This is in contrast to the other underground tour, which moved through Pioneer Square in a massive blob. This is great because it allows you to ask questions and interact more easily. The locations were all interesting and there wasn't a great deal of walking involved, if that is a concern of yours. The only downside is that I'm not really sure that the tour is wheelchair accessible, as stairs are involved at more than one point, but I am sure Beneath the Streets can provide more accurate information in that regard. Overall the tour was fun and informative and wasn't too long nor too short. While I can't compare it to the "other" tour, having only did Beneath the Streets, I would definitely recommend this one if you are interested in seeing the famed underground areas of Seattle.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Charles T
DeWitt, Michigan
215 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 236 helpful votes
“A Piece of History”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

There are two tour companies offering underground tours in Seattle's historic Pioneer Square. Beneath the Streets is a new company offering a similar tour with an experienced tour guide. They take fewer people on their tours offering more interaction with their group. Also, the price is less for the same one hour tour. Jim is our tour guide. He is knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and entertaining. He talks about the history of Seattle and how the 1889 fire and the 1896 Klondike gold rush changed and shaped Seattle. This is a walking tour (above and below ground level) involving stairs and uneven ground. I admit I have not taken the other company's underground tour so I can not make a comparison but I believe a good product and a little competition is good for the consumer. I would recommend taking the Beneath the Streets tour the next time you are in Seattle's Pioneer Square.

1 Thank Denice S
Albany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not worth the trouble”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Not worth the trouble. Not worth the money. Not worth the time. Found this tour on yelp and after reading a review thought I would add this to my list, now on the list of What Not To Do In Seattle. Tour concept interesting but guide presentation was flat and boring.

4 Thank AlbanyBusymom
SeattleStreets, Owner at Beneath the Streets, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
We are sorry our tour did not meet your expectations. If you have more specific information, or feedback we can pass along to our guides, we are always looking for ways to improve our tour. You can write us at beneaththestreetsseattle@gmail.com.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Beneath the streets”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was a great tour and very informative, she was really interesting and lots of fun. This made the city a lot more interesting than anything else.

Visited May 2014

Been to Beneath the Streets? Share your experiences!