“Very Cool”

and up
Subterranean Seattle Walking History Tour
Ranked #14 of 158 Tours in Seattle
More attraction details
Owner description: Walking tour in Seattle's historic Pioneer Square. The tour lasts one hour and guests are guided through the neighborhood at both street level and below. The focus of the tour is the evolution of the physical and cultural landscape of the birthplace of the city.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Our tour guide was very nice and we had fun. I can't believe the history of Seattle and going on this tour is amazing~! Hard to believe all that stuff is down there~!

There are newer reviews for Beneath the Streets

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This tour starts in the Spooked in Seattle / Death Museum. It was pretty cool in itself, but not too intense if that's not what you're looking for. I really liked the museum and was glad I was early. The tour shows the original street level of Seattle. One of the underground areas we visited was pretty cluttered and basically a disorganized storage unit. I had a good time on this tour, I learned a lot and really liked the tour guide. The group size was perfect. I have a friend that took an underground tour with another company (I won't name the other company, but you likely have an idea) and I've heard the group was quite a bit bigger and was difficult to hear at times. However, this is TripAdvisor, and I really depend on and appreciate honest reviews when I travel. So, here it is. I was jealous of the photos my friend took on the other tour. It almost pains me to say this, cause the tour guide was so nice, but I would choose the other tour if I was in Seattle again.

2  Thank chrisitout
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We took this tour yesterday in the mid-afternoon on a Monday and had the best time! We pretty much had a private tour (it was a mid-Monday afternoon, after all) with Jerry. He took us on a rousing nearly 90-minute tour through the underground of Seattle and learned way more history than I had known before! I have taken the Bill Spiedel Underground Tour many times with guests, family and friends, but this tour had a special heart to it. It was charming, informative and brought us into new spaces that the other tours don't. There is a fantastic underground section (with kegs!) that is nearly complete and in amazing condition. I felt like I was truly back in the 1800's. All the spaces had a lovely feel to them, but the best part of the tour was Jerry. He clearly had a passion for touring and guiding us through the unknown parts of Seattle. I boraged him with questions and he answered every one with skill and expertise. I think he's secretly a history teacher superhero. Probably had tights on under his coat. :)

I would recommend this tour over the other underground tour in Seattle for many reasons. It's smaller (we walked by the other underground tour which had 50 people in it, whereas our tour had 2 and they normally cap it at well below 50); certainly more personal and knowledge based, rather than sensationalized or hokey; and having taken the other tour several times (it was the only option until now), that tour has changed since I first took it nearly 15 years ago. It's alright now, but this tour had the feel of what I love most: knowledge. We experienced the underground in physicality, but we also experienced it through Jerry's eyes. If he hadn't been a 30-something guy, I would think he was right out of the 1800's because his knowledge felt so first-hand. He took us right there.

But note to BTS: please don't do costumes. That's hokey. If I want cheese, I'll go to Beecher's.

Loved this tour. Groupon has deals right now (3/2014), but don't wait too long. Pretty soon, they won't need deals to get them business. They have something many other tours don't: heart.

3  Thank sia77
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Terry was our guide and she was energetic, knowledgeable, interesting and fun! Went with my
daughter (age 13) and really enjoyed the tour and the wealth of history about Seattle. Being from Seattle, I would recommend it for locals as well as tourist.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My son and I went on this tour today. Our Tour Guide was Lucy, who was an “Energetic” and “Entertaining” guide. She was very knowledgeable about the details of the Great Seattle Fire that occurred on June 6, 1889. She took us around underground to three different locations and explained how Seattle was rebuilt with brick, right on top of where the old buildings remains were. We were able to see how the tunnels and buildings underground looked, and also how different establishments have now utilized the old buildings and tunnels underground for their business needs.

The tour ends at the Comedy Underground past Pioneer Square, just a few short blocks from the Spooked in Seattle location where the tour started. The tour lasts for about one hour and you will walk both underground and around Pioneer Square to get to the other underground building locations. There are stairs but no elevators so be aware of that. There is also metered parking on the street and also a few parking lots and garages are close by. Parking in the lots is about $5 per hour.

Overall this was a great tour of some Seattle history. Beneath the Streets shares space with Spooked in Seattle who do their tours in the evening. Check out the pictures of what you will see. The Seattle Underground Comedy Club Bar is a great example of how they are now utilizing that underground space… really cool club.