“Amazing sushi, not too pricey”
Review of Shiro's

Shiro's
Ranked #50 of 4,304 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belltown
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I am no pro at sushi but this stuff was good and the prices were reasonable. We waited an hour for at table on a week night at 9pm so make reservations if you can. p.s drink the soup, no spoons.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I am a big sushi fan and have wanted to eat at Shiro's since seeing the Jiro Dreams of Sushi documentary and learning of the connection. On a recent visit to Seattle, my husband and I did the omakase with a local friend and we were all very impressed with the meal.

There are three levels of omakase and we chose to do the $65 per person Shiro's omakase dinner, which included sushi, as well as some hot items. This isn't fancy, super-innovative Japanese food, but rather very traditional preparations of the absolute freshest ingredients available. The waiter, who was wonderful, told us that Shiro visits the fish markets in Seattle every morning and makes his selections before any of the other sushi restaurants in town, insuring that what is served here is always the absolute best the city has to offer.

Our five-course meal featured some of the best fish I have ever eaten. The first course consisted of Japanese tofu, a single tiny oyster, and salmon belly all with a citrus ponzu. All were excellent. Next came the sashimi course, for which we had salmon, albacore tuna, and yellow tail tuna. All three melted in your mouth! The entree course included sake marinated black cod and a sliver of eel over cucumber salad. The black cod was, of course, delicious, and the eel and cucumber were a perfect combination. The nigiri course was next, featuring more salmon, albacore tuna, wild sockeye salmon, geoduck, and hirame. The wild salmon was the star of this course. So tender and delicious! It was my first experience with geoduck, and while it was a little tough, the flavor was unlike anything I had ever tasted. For dessert we had fried green tea ice cream, which was a fun way to end the meal.

The three of us shared a carafe of sake, and the total with tip was well over $250, but it was so worth it. Shiro was actually there the night we dined, and it was a pleasure to be served by one of the masters of the craft.

1  Thank MrTed
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Let me just start by saying I am not a true sushi connoseiur however i do enjoy my fair share of salmon, tuna, unagi, yellow tail, etc.. I have never been able to enjoy the uni although if you are a sushi person uni is a must. My wife and i ordered the Omakase and we were absolutely stunned! My wife doesnt even like sushi that much and enjoyed everything prepared by Shiro's. Every fish was fresh and just melted in your mouth as soon as you made contact. It was truly amazing. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The Toro was probably the best thing there and the Black Cod was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! I will definitely come here again!!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

After hearing about the chef opening this resturant who worked for the famous Jiro in Japan, we had to try this. We were luck and got a reservation for 4.

The four in our party had a variety of dishes.

The cooked geoduck appetizer was moist and seasonsed perfectly and complemented with tiny asparagus heads.

Sushi and sashimi dishes came with rolls and were perfect, although not much different than some of the fare at better resurants around town.
Not highly creative dishes, but expert and correct preparations.
The focus was on local and fresh, including a geoduck sushi and local smelt.

I have been to Japan many times, and there were a few preparations you seldom see here such as the fried heads of shrimp as an accomparyment to the tails served separately.

Baked black cod ordered by one member of our party was also excellent.

Desert was offered for the Amaercans, even though a rarity at sushi restaurants in Japan. Ice cream dishes including tempura ice cream and several flavor mochi were the offering, but these were not home made. We had the red bean ice cream, which was fine, but nothing special.

Overall, this is about as close to authentic Japan sushi and sashimi as you will get in Seattle.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The sushi/sashimi was the freshest, highest quality sushi we have ever had. The service was great. Be sure to make advanced reservations as drop ins are simply not possible. Too many people know about this incredible spot. A line began to que outside at 5pm for their 5:30pm openning in order to claim seats at the bar. Be sure you are amoung the first in the line if you failed to reserve.