“It's Old School”

Neighborhood: Belltown
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“It's Old School”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Looking at the menu is like stepping back in time 20 years, except for the prices. The sushi and sashimi are very good. Nigiri are priced by the piece. The rolls are fine but compared to offerings elsewhere they are just boring (hello 'Body of Sin' roll at Umi Sake House!). The beverage choices are quite limited no matter what you are interested in drinking (sake, beer, wine, soda....). The food is good and unless you are seated at the sushi bar the atmosphere is lousy.

• Korean first
Fort Myers
“Fresh sushi in Seattle”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I agree with other reviews that the decor and atmosphere is rather basic. Great decor is not necessarily a pre-cursor to fantastic food though, in my experience. I found the sushi very fresh and tasty, and the service a little scattered. I did not have a reservation, but they accomodated me and gave me a time limit by which I had to finish my meal, about 1 and 1/2 hours which I found fair enough. Overall, if I want fresh sushi in a no-frills atmosphere, I would return and would sitting at the sushi bar though.

San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Just unfriendly”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Admittingly we arrived at the restaurant around 6:00 PM with out a reservation. It was understood that there was going to be a wait time for us if in fact there was an opportunity at all to dine that evening. We left the scowling hostess our name and phone numbers to give us a shout if something opened up which she seemed eager to do. She said it would be about an hour.
We came back an hour and a half later to the same hostess who continued to make pained faces at us stating nothing was available though several tables were prepared with no one waiting. I assumed that these were reserved and was prepared to go elsewhere, when she stated that there was one little table in the back that was available. Skeptically i went with my party to check it out only to find out that they had set up a card table in an unlit back room where 11 other people were eating in the dark (there was not even a lamp, just ambient light from the street). I almost laughed out loud at this site and promptly got out of there to enjoy a sit down meal elsewhere.
The place was small and the menu looked expensive. There are over a hundred sushi restaurants in Seattle and we found one that made us feel welcomed. We had a great meal and didnt go broke doing so.

Budapest
“Three credit cards were not enough”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

After all the glowing reviews we arrived to Shiro’s hoping to have the best Japanese food in town, but seem to have been unlucky with some of our selections. Started with Nameko Miso, which was all right (but nothing special), then Poke Belltown, which was excellent. We had a selection of rolls, some were good, some average, the Wrap Hand Roll was terrific. We then made the mistake of ordering Japanese style deep fried chicken wings (Chicken Kara-age) – they were completely out of place. Just because the Wrap Roll was so good we ordered a different one, but it came wrapped in see-weed, which was by far not so good as the original with soy paper wrapping.
Having finished I wanted to pay with my VISA, but it was rejected. I didn’t understand, because that was my regular card used in all places with no problem, but I then submitted my MasterCard: also rejected. Then it was my son’s turn to submit his VISA, rejected. I suspected that something was wrong with their system, but they assured me that everybody else had paid without any problems, so we offered our fourth card – and this was finally accepted. On our way home our bank’s card services called us (all the three cards rejected were from this bank) asking us if we had tried to pay at Shiro’s. When we confirmed they explained that there were security issues with the establishment, so our cards were temporarily blocked. Only upon returning home we discovered that there had been a review in Trip Advisor (dated December 8) also mentioning a card issue. The staff just didn’t handle this incident in a professional manner! This made service (otherwise very good) just poor. We found the place also rather pricey. The atmosphere is average.
When next time in Seattle I may try Shiro’s again, just to make sure it was only bad luck that evening.

Nashville, TN
“When in Seattle we'll be back”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The only way to dine an enjoy it here is to put yourself in the hands of the sushi master. This is true of all top class sushi restaurants whether in this country or abroad. And be prepared to pay for it. We always ask what is good that day and go with the recommendations as quality and freshness go hand in hand. Sushi and sashimi were executed and presented in the typically classical way. Small lovely bites at an unhurried pace. The nori was just what is supposed to be, crisp and toasty. Sushi rice was perfect; very small grain, excellent consistency and taste and not overwhelming the delicate portion of fish. One of the best we have ever had. The only downside was the chawanmushi. The ginko nuts were missing as was the chicken, and an almost invisible piece of shitake.