“Great meal with conversation”
Review of Nell's

Nell's
Reserve with OpenTable
Nell's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #341 of 4,394 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Latona Ave NE
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I were invited to join a group of colleagues, most of whom I did not know, for dinner at Nell's. Too often restaurants are noisy and conversation around a table devolves to speaking to one person close to you only; at Nell's the 10 of us could converse quite freely and had a great evening. Everyone enjoyed their selection from the excellent menu - despite not being very extensive there was much variety on offer, and the fact that it changes every night would, if I were a regular (and I might well be if I lived near there!), more than make up for that. My wife and I had halibut and salmon entrees respectively, both of which were very tasty and cooked to our satisfaction. The duck had been another option - colleagues who had that seemed to enjoy it though it looked a bit rare for my liking. I also enjoyed the fact there was a good variety of wines serve by the glass so everyone could order what they preferred rather than having to select one or two wines for the table – or, as some of us did, we could sample a few different wines. (My experience is that most restaurants serve only a very few wines, often of inferior quality, by the glass.) I cannot comment on the value for money as I was an invited guest.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had the 4 course "Summer Tasting Menu" . Service was excellent and the restaurant is not pretentious. As the restaurant is just across from Green Lake, the clientele includes customers of all ages and dress. Very open and airy decor and extremely friendly(not overly) staff. Each dish was explained and wine choices offered by the experienced staff. Presentation was perfect. Each dish was beautiful! A great choice for those who want to avoid Seattle's noisy and touristy spots.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We enjoyed most of our first wine dinner at Nell's. There were 7 courses for $90 per person and of course that included the wine. The food ranged from good to really good. The oysters were only "ok" and the crab spring rolls a little disappointing. The goat cheese tart was a hit. But the sea scallop was awesome and the duck was really really good. The salmon was really good, but the veal was under-cooked. Good pea risotto, but only an ok dessert. I am guessing there were 40 to 45 people and they had trouble with the logistics. They were short plates of food and were confused about which tables had been served. I wasn't impressed. The wine servings were very nice with appropriate pours. They didn't skimp, but there was no trouble driving home. If you attend do NOT sit near the food pass because it is loud and you can't hear the speaker. They also are having to wash glasses constantly and it was distracting. So, I enjoyed the food, and if a wine maker visits who I just can't miss I would attend, but I would choose a different table and hope they have figured out the serving issues.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Served alongside a small portion of the regular sauternes for comparison, which was tasty as well. But the Grand Cru described as "Angels Tears of Joy" will make your taste buds sing. Excellent wine list and selections of wine by the glass, also a knowledgeable manager and wine steward if you'd like help, thank you Nathan! Nathan recommended a Barbera d' Asti to go with our grilled pork tenderloin, which had a slight smoky flavor - an inspired choice. Veal sweetbreads had a crispy crust and the insides were like butter. The sweet onion tart had a flaky phyllo like crust and sunchoke chips on top.

The attention to detail is impressive, the tabletops are padded so your plates and silverware are quiet and stay where you put them, The butter for the bread was lightly salted and soft. Multiple payments on one bill were a breeze. And there's a parking lot!

Highly recommended for foodies and oenophiles.

2  Thank Nancy O
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family went to this restaurant in November-ish! They have excellent food! I would recommend this place in a heart beat! (Warning: a little pricy)