“My first Grand Cru Sauternes”
Review of Nell's

Nell's
Reserve with OpenTable
Nell's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #323 of 4,250 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Latona Ave NE
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Served alongside a small portion of the regular sauternes for comparison, which was tasty as well. But the Grand Cru described as "Angels Tears of Joy" will make your taste buds sing. Excellent wine list and selections of wine by the glass, also a knowledgeable manager and wine steward if you'd like help, thank you Nathan! Nathan recommended a Barbera d' Asti to go with our grilled pork tenderloin, which had a slight smoky flavor - an inspired choice. Veal sweetbreads had a crispy crust and the insides were like butter. The sweet onion tart had a flaky phyllo like crust and sunchoke chips on top.

The attention to detail is impressive, the tabletops are padded so your plates and silverware are quiet and stay where you put them, The butter for the bread was lightly salted and soft. Multiple payments on one bill were a breeze. And there's a parking lot!

Highly recommended for foodies and oenophiles.

2  Thank Nancy O

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family went to this restaurant in November-ish! They have excellent food! I would recommend this place in a heart beat! (Warning: a little pricy)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have heard about Nell's for years..."Great food!", "Fabulous meal", but I had never been. Was it the Green Lake Way address? The lack of hipster buzz? Who knows, but I am SO glad I finally went! I loved the tasting menu. It looked like a great value for four courses and a great sampling of the local and seasonal fare, but we went instead with 3 selections from the small plates and 2 from the large plates. We were VERY happy! We started with the goat milk flan, followed by the trumpet mushroom risotto and the nettle agnolotti. All were fresh, interesting, and delicious. We had the Columbia River sturgeon and the lamb as large plates and we followed up with the strawberry rhubarb crisp with sour cream ice cream! Perfect! I like to pair my courses with a wine that will really amplify both the food and the wine. Our server was very knowledgable and they generously allowed us to split a glass between the two of us so that each course was nicely wine paired. They had a good selection of wines by the glass, which is tough in Seattle most times. We really enjoyed our entire experience at Nell's and while it took me years to get there I will be back in no time...maybe this weekend!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I'm part of a birthday dinner group, where each birthday celebrant selects where the group will host the celebrant's birthday dinner. That brought us to Nell's, a place none of us had heard about. Our understanding is this restaurant has operated for 14 years. The menu offers what we considered a "continental cuisine" which would mean "European." There is a "tasting menu" of four courses including dessert. "Small Plates" and "Big Plates" constitute the rest of the menu. The small plates can be appetizers, salads and soup. The big plates would be entrees, but one can stay with the small plates only. Some of our group opted for the tasting menu; others for the small/big plate choices.

Wine list reflects a major cellar of offerings, across a wide price range ($20-30 up to several thousand dollars). In spite of our friend's urging for one of the atmospheric choices, we settled on a $45 Washington State product which fit our menu selections and pocketbooks.

Ambience? Quiet; a bit art deco; open kitchen. Great place for dinner conversations. Wait staff helpful and added to the enjoyable experience.

Parking no problem as there is a restaurant lot and midweek ample street parking.

Duck, lamb and pork entrees for our table. Wonderful layers of flavors in all dishes.

We will be back, and regret not having known about Nell's until now!

1  Thank mtscruff
Reviewed February 26, 2013

outstanding service, very good wine recommendation. good food quality. nice getaway on a Tuesday night